dragonfly bottom of pocket carry

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sethwm

dragonfly bottom of pocket carry

Post by sethwm »

Going to start carrying my dragonfly lw without a clip in my pocket. Do folks leave both clip screws there for this or not? As far as I can tell I don't think the clip screws are holding the scales together. I have a place to put the hardware in little baggies so I'm not worried about losing the clip or screws.
40mm

Re: dragonfly bottom of pocket carry

Post by 40mm »

I tried it for a day or so when I was using the wire clip on my Manbug. Didn't keep the screws on and no need to. I love the feel of the Dragonfly without the clip but my thought at the time was that it was a bit large for bottom of the pocket carry. I'm sure I could get used to it but I typically keep it clipped in my waistband and can't even tell it's there.
sethwm wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:32 pm
Going to start carrying my dragonfly lw without a clip in my pocket. Do folks leave both clip screws there for this or not? As far as I can tell I don't think the clip screws are holding the scales together. I have a place to put the hardware in little baggies so I'm not worried about losing the clip or screws.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i would just leave the clip on for versatility.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

I have a Zome I carry clipless.

I leave the screw attached just so I know where to find it. The clip is in a hardware baggie.

It feels much better in the hand without the clip.

Sits in the pocket fine.
Last edited by jwbnyc on Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I prefer to carry the Dragonfly without a clip and loose in my pocket. I’m pretty sure I left the screw in the handle but for no specific reason.

Edit: I agree with jwbnyc, I think the Dragonfly feels better in hand without a clip. Actually, I think a lot of folders do but often times I choose the convenience of the clip over the comfort of clipless.
-Nick :bug-red
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

I carry the dragonfly clipless and loose in the pocket. I prefer the lighter weight and slimmer profile.

The dragonfly was my first spyderco in the 90s. The only feature that never grew on me was the molded in clip.

I remove the clip on all the knives I pocket carry. Delica/Native size is about the largest I routinely carry that way.
on_the_edge

Post by on_the_edge »

I carry mine w/o a clip or the screw; I just keep those extras in a little baggie in the box so nothing goes missing. It feels great in hand and disappears in the bottom of my pocket.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I always remove the clips. I put the screw back into the handle. I don't know if it makes any difference, but at least I always know where the screw is and there is no hole to collect pocket junk. I drop my Dragonflies down into my pocket. Perfect.

The only one I left the clip on is a SE Salt I keep in my waistband when swimming or fishing.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I do the same with an urban (no clips for NYC)

I leave the rear screw in (they're not going to come apart, but no fastener at the back is weird to me)

Trying to see if a chaparral, lil native or dragonfly will replace it
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

GarageBoy wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:35 pm
I do the same with an urban (no clips for NYC)

I leave the rear screw in (they're not going to come apart, but no fastener at the back is weird to me)

Trying to see if a chaparral, lil native or dragonfly will replace it
You can’t have it showing in NYC?
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Nope, counts as knife in plain view which can get you a ticket
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I lost a screw to my Byrd Robin 2 (which is similar) with the stainless handle when swapping the clip to left-handed carry, and just decided to try clip-less carry.

Carried quite well.
James Y

Post by James Y »

If I carry a Spyderco down inside the pocket, I always keep the pocket clip on. It doesn’t add much width, IMO. The only one-handed knives I would carry like that are FRN back locks. I’ve done it from my Dragonfly Salt up to my Endura or Pac Salt. The clip gives my fingers an extra stabilization point when one-hand opening the blade.

Jim
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

That’s funny. I’ve been carrying bottom of pocket a couple days without the clip and my hand keeps slipping opening it. I was thinking I was losing hand strength or something! It was the missing clip which helps me get a good purchase.
SRT392HEMI

Post by SRT392HEMI »

James Y wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:50 am

The clip gives my fingers an extra stabilization point when one-hand opening the blade.
Jim
sethwm wrote: That’s funny. I’ve been carrying bottom of pocket a couple days without the clip and my hand keeps slipping opening it. I was thinking I was losing hand strength or something! It was the missing clip which helps me get a good purchase.
This! Thought it was just me. My folders have always had clips so it just became second nature to use the clip as indexing point or for stability when opening/closing the blade. It feels awkward when I take the clip off.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I don’t think I ever carried the Dragonfly clipped and I also keep the clip on the knife.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

sethwm wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:32 pm
Going to start carrying my dragonfly lw without a clip in my pocket...

As far as I can tell I don't think the clip screws are holding the scales together.

You are correct that the clip screw(s) do not hold the handle together on the Dragonfly LW. The handle is one piece of FRN. I think "integral" is the term used???

u.w.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I used to carry mine in the bottom of my pocket clipless. I found it a lot more comfortable to handle and use without it.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

JRinFL wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:38 am
I don’t think I ever carried the Dragonfly clipped and I also keep the clip on the knife.
Same here. I seldom carry it clipped to my pocket and it feels just fine in the bottom of my pocket with the clip attached (to me, at least).
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
GTenn

Post by GTenn »

I tried it this morning after reading your thread. I definitely like the feel better without the clip. I did leave the screws in place. They do add a bit of an anchor point when opening one handed.