vg-10 observations (and SPY27 it's seeming)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: vg-10 observations

Post by vivi »

GarageBoy wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:24 pm
Does VG 10 still have a reputation for holding onto a tenacious burr when sharpening? What's everyone's favorite sharpening progression for it? I love how vg10 Spyderco come with that sticky edge, and would like to replicate it.
Takes a good edge for me at a variety of finishes. I keep my Perrin bowies at 260 grit and my Police 3 PE at 8,000 grit. Great performance at either extreme.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Said it quite often already: VG10 is great stuff, and I think some just think it is "boring" and "outdated" cause they heard so.

Though I really like LC200N, VG10 is still the "better LC200N" to me:
- Completely rustproof too in my use (except one time when a Delica blade was covered in a very salty liquid for several weeks and developed some tiny spots)
- Just from my gut feeling VG10 has better edge retention than LC (which is actually what Larrins chart shows too: "4.5" for VG10, "3" for LC)
- And for whatever reason I enjoy sharpening VG10 more

And for serrated blades VG10 is pretty much the perfect steel anyway, as far as I can tell (with a huge grain of salt, since admittedly I have not tried too many steels in SE)

I´d not complain if all my Spydies were in VG10 (though, yes, I´d miss stuff like REX45 a bit, no doubt)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:34 am
I´d not complain if all my Spydies were in VG10 (though, yes, I´d miss stuff like REX45 a bit, no doubt)

I wouldn't complain if Spyderco used nothing but VG10, but I'd for sure buy fewer Spydercos if it did! One of the great things about Spyderco is the variety of high end steel available.

I've come to think of SPY27 as the PM upgrade to VG10.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:41 am
Wartstein wrote:

I wouldn't complain if Spyderco used nothing but VG10, but I'd for sure buy fewer Spydercos if it did! One of the great things about Spyderco is the variety of high end steel available.

I still have to try SPY27 yet! But I have high expectations!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Bolster wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Oh interesting, you feel like it has similar properties?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sethwm wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:51 am
Bolster wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Oh interesting, you feel like it has similar properties?
This viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87383 and the links to Larrins write ups there might be of interest to you.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

When you get a SPY27 model, it states that VG-10 was the foundation and their goal was to enhance it.

- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

I bought a SS plain edge Endura not long ago, and the factory edge on it is breathtakingly sharp. I have brand new affection for what Seki is doing...and have absolutely NO concerns about a lack of pivot adjustment or the saber grind. The seam between the lock bar and stainless scale in nearly invisible. Such a well manufactured example of the Spyderco/Seki collaboration. Worth every penny spent.

The knife is heavy, it's definitely not flat ground, and the blade steel is plebeian VG-10, and it's NOT a "Spydie flicker"...I love it. Such a GREAT knife, and rugged as all get out!
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:51 am
Bolster wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

I still have to try SPY27 yet! But I have high expectations!

From what I understand, these expectations should be heightened. I believe this is a sleeper steel and once out in a broader scope of models (of which I am also waiting), will truly shed light on something special.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
Mickiratt

Post by Mickiratt »

I have a great appreciation for VG10 as a well rounded, do it all knife steel. So much so that I just added a stainless steel serrated Delica (C11S) to my collection. It's been in my pocket for the last week. Love it!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mickiratt wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:46 am
I have a great appreciation for VG10 as a well rounded, do it all knife steel. So much so that I just added a stainless steel serrated Delica (C11S) to my collection. It's been in my pocket for the last week. Love it!

Cool!
I got myself a stainless steel handled VG10 Endura (PE) not too long ago and love it too - despite I am usually not into heavy (weight) folders at all.
Mine has the "old" sabre hollow grind instead of "just" sabre, which is a bonus in my book.

/ Generally I think people rather new to knives and sharpening would be well served to get some VG10 model as their first-, and a Sharpmaker as their second Spyderco product. As said, the steel is good stuff and a breeze to touch up on the SM.
James Y

Post by James Y »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:51 am
When you get a SPY27 model, it states that VG-10 was the foundation and their goal was to enhance it.

Thank you for posting that!

Jim
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

James Y wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:35 am

Thank you for posting that!

Jim
You bet. It's a great steel. I know it's proprietary. I wish there was a good way to get the price down. I think it's a winner.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Wartstein wrote:
Said it quite often already: VG10 is great stuff, and I think some just think it is "boring" and "outdated" cause they heard so.

Though I really like LC200N, VG10 is still the "better LC200N" to me:
Great point you make "Wartstein"! People get all caught up with many of these newer supersteels that everyone are drooling over. But when it comes to serrated edges I still maintain that some of the older steels do just fine.

Also the Nitrogen based steels have proven to be great with TEETH as well.

I still believe in the time tested principle "If It Ain't Broke Then Don't Try To Fix It". The only steels I've used first hand that I thought to be somewhat more durable with TEETH for Spyderedges are 440V and XHP. But not by a big margin either.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

I've had SPY27 on hand for a day now. After sharpening and putting some use to it, I can say it's a different animal compared to VG-10, already. Sharpening and responsiveness, burr cooperation (on diamond and ceramic medias), apex formation, edge character, ability to hold that thin edge, responsiveness in stropping back that edge, all seem that much easier (and better, IMO/E, so far) than VG-10.

I know the attributes will not be blowing anything out of the water in terms of the magnitude of available steel being used on the market at this point, but the properties of SPY27 combined really take this steel into a category of pure joy, so far. This is the same feeling I get from using and sharpening hard, carbon kitchen knives. Just a dang joy in all that they do. This being more pocket friendly with the added resistance to corrosion is certain to add much of those same attributes that I love in cutlery, outside of that kitchen setting. More use and experience is to be had before conclusive, but as I stated earlier in this thread, I believe this is a sleeper steel. Can't wait to see if there are any plans for product for the kitchen, in the works.
James Y

Post by James Y »

How is SPY27 in terms of its corrosion resistance, as compared to VG-10?

Jim
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

weeping minora wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:26 pm
I've had SPY27 on hand for a day now. After sharpening and putting some use to it, I can say it's a different animal compared to VG-10, already. Sharpening and responsiveness, burr cooperation (on diamond and ceramic medias), apex formation, edge character, ability to hold that thin edge, responsiveness in stropping back that edge, all seem that much easier (and better, IMO/E, so far) than VG-10.

This sounds great, almost hard to believe: Easier and more fun to sharpen than even VG10, but still with better edge holding - ?!
To be clear: I am really not good at sharpening compared to many folks here, and I never owned Spy 27 so far. But for me VG10 is already one of the easiest and most fun to sharpen steels (...that still perform well in a cutting tool)

Makes me want to try Spy 27 even more!
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

James Y wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:26 pm
How is SPY27 in terms of its corrosion resistance, as compared to VG-10?

Jim
Spy 27: https://youtu.be/NbSXw7mlSWo (compares to S35V)
VG-10: https://youtu.be/JSDBMgp3Rsc (compares to S35V)

VG-10 seems less resistant based on this one singular data point?
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:31 pm
weeping minora wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:26 pm

This sounds great, almost hard to believe: Easier and more fun to sharpen than even VG10, but still with better edge holding - ?!
To be clear: I am really not good at sharpening compared to many folks here, and I never owned Spy 27 so far. But for me VG10 is already one of the easiest and most fun to sharpen steels (...that still perform well in a cutting tool)

Makes me want to try Spy 27 even more!

So far, these are my sentiments regarding the steel. This was over the course of one day, though, so take it with a grain (or handful) of salt.

To me there was an extra level of friendliness to it in sharpening. I feel comfortable in recommending this steel to someone who is unsure of their free-hand abilities and wants to hone their fundamentals before stepping up to more time consuming, or peskier steels; though who also wants a steel with respectable traits in terms of a performance out of your pocket knife. This is firmly in that "sharpener's steel" category, though adds more flavoring to the recipe to still remain fun in use and maintenance. I saw sal state that this steel "wants to get sharp" and I believe that should be its trademarked motto :winking-tongue.

I suppose there will be some triviality to just how much "better" it will respond in sharpening versus VG-10 and perhaps my excitement has a touch of flavoring to my remarks, but by-all-means, I find them to be within the same paragraph of context between the comparison. It felt like a quicker response with the burr coming up faster and reducing faster. The edge that came up was more aggressive. Perhaps with more time invested on the ceramic stones, it will behave more in-line with VG-10 (took this straight to the Ultra Fine bench stone, 306UF, after a DMT XX-Fine). The refined toothy aggression that was there suited me just fine, to start. My typical sharpening of VG-10 relies on the Medium and UF Spydie stone progression, FWIW, using diamond for any re-profiling. I still find VG-10 to have more of a slickness, or tameness when sharp, versus aggression, or stickiness. It likes the refinement and lacks the bite, IME.

The biggest difference in use between VG-10, so far, is that SPY27 was noticeably thinner at the edge and sustained no fracturing in cutting, of which I have experienced in VG-10 with thicker edges. Better edge stability, to be sure. I have no idea the edge angle, as I sharpen my steels to the thinnest that I can achieve and run with it, before making changes after the resulting affairs. I'll have to stress the edge much more to see how much further the edge longevity will be noticed before needing a touch up, as I'm kind of in this "if it doesn't pop hairs, it needs some work" phase with my sharpening. Next week I will get a better feel in use at work.

Really excited out of the gate, however. I'm stoked that this steel will be offered in the Seki line-up in the future, as they are some of my favorite models that Spyderco offers.
JSumm

Re: vg-10 observations (and SPY27 it's seeming)

Post by JSumm »

I have a similar feeling towards SPY27 as I do VG-10. It is a fun steel to get sharp, so for me makes a great EDC steel as does VG-10. In my very scientific results :zany I too feel that is has better edge stability. Both are great for a beginner sharpener like me to get a great edge.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005