2022 Reveal — Stovepipe Thread C260TIP

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RadioactiveSpyder

Re: 2022 Reveal — Stovepipe Thread C260TIP

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Fireman wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:29 am
This looks amazing
A false edge on the front portion and make it an XL version and you have something even more amazing. What do you all say to an XL version with a 3.75” blade?
The Stovepipe matches the specs of the KA Bill the Butcher folder. Spyderco has never taken another maker's design and remade it with different tweaks that make it something completely different, unless the maker themselves has made such a version first. They are meant to be near-faithful, lower-cost production replicas of a custom maker's designs, Spyderco AFAIK has no liberty to then run with the design and incorporate changes we or they may want to see.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

DigDug72 wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:42 pm
Skinnied mine a couple days ago...
Looks great, did you bronze anodize the handle?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:58 am
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:07 am
Speaking of custom versions, these are two versions that David Rydbom offered recently (some very hefty markups IMHO).

Also, completely off-topic - for the first time ever, I received a notice while logging in tonight that I had exceed my number of login attempts and had to solve a captcha in order to get in. I have not signed in for a couple of days... Has that happened to anyone else? Does that imply someone other than me has been trying to access my account?
Wow!!! More than double the price for a regrind?!? That’s insane, unjustifiable, laughable… the list goes on.
Thats why they make the Byrd line. For people who just think a knife is a knife. Does a Rolex tell any better time Than a Casio Digital? Of course not...
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Archimedes wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:21 pm
Mushroom wrote:
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Speaking of custom versions, these are two versions that David Rydbom offered recently (some very hefty markups IMHO).

Also, completely off-topic - for the first time ever, I received a notice while logging in tonight that I had exceed my number of login attempts and had to solve a captcha in order to get in. I have not signed in for a couple of days... Has that happened to anyone else? Does that imply someone other than me has been trying to access my account?
Wow!!! More than double the price for a regrind?!? That’s insane, unjustifiable, laughable… the list goes on.
Thats why they make the Byrd line. For people who just think a knife is a knife. Does a Rolex tell any better time Than a Casio Digital? Of course not...
LOL! Well I’m not a person who just thinks a knife is a knife. Those are not customs and I’m confident saying that charging more than double the retail price for a regrind is everything I called it before and more.

Do you think I’m talking about Spyderco’s price? Because I was one of the first on the forum to defend that. $875 for a reground Stovepipe is nothing short of ludicrous.
-Nick :bug-red
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:48 pm
Archimedes wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:

LOL! Well I’m not a person who just thinks a knife is a knife. Those are not customs and I’m confident saying that charging more than double the retail price for a regrind is everything I called it before and more.

Do you think I’m talking about Spyderco’s price? Because I was one of the first on the forum to defend that. $875 for a reground Stovepipe is nothing short of ludicrous.
The list goes on.

How much would you charge to regrind a knife to that level of perfection? If you can pull that level of work off for less I will send you my knife. I am waiting. I will pay 450 for the knife and I am assuming you can deliver perfection for 50 bucks. So I am all in for for 500. I am a man of my word so buy the knife and grind it and I will send you 500 plus shipping. Deal?
RadioactiveSpyder

Why are so many folks being so nasty in this thread? At this point, I’m almost hoping Kristi shuts it down.

Charging $455 above the already quite high MAP price on this model is indeed over-reaching. My go-to person for the absolute best reprofiling and sharpening work is Josh at Razor Edge Knives. A regrind job like the one shown would cost no more than $250 max (if that), certainly not $50 but also certainly not $450+. The one with the regrind and handle work is $850 over MAP, does that seem reasonable? That was the point of my posting those prices, not for forum members to tear into each other. This is the opposite of a “shiny footprints” approach if I’ve ever seen it. Everyone agrees the knife is very expensive to start with, many people just don’t like the design, that’s completely fine and your opinion. The world is so full of people tearing each other down, the reason I love this forum is it’s an oasis from all that - however this thread is demonstrating otherwise. I’m sure I’ll get raked over the coals for even posting this, but this is completely against the spirit of this place.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Archimedes wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:10 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:48 pm
Archimedes wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

The list goes on.

How much would you charge to regrind a knife to that level of perfection? If you can pull that level of work off for less I will send you my knife. I am waiting. I will pay 450 for the knife and I am assuming you can deliver perfection for 50 bucks. So I am all in for for 500. I am a man of my word so buy the knife and grind it and I will send you 500 plus shipping. Deal?
Wow… this is a post you can be proud of tomorrow.

Just to entertain you though, expecting that work to be done for $50 is more unreasonable than asking $450 to do it. LOL Are you just trying to shame me for expressing my opinion or are you trying to have a real discussion? Your post is reading as the former.

RadioactiveSpyder wrote: Why are so many folks being so nasty in this thread? At this point, I’m almost hoping Kristi shuts it down.

Charging $455 above the already quite high MAP price on this model is indeed over-reaching. My go-to person for the absolute best reprofiling and sharpening work is Josh at Razor Edge Knives. A regrind job like the one shown would cost no more than $250 max (if that), certainly not $50 but also certainly not $450+. The one with the regrind and handle work is $850 over MAP, does that seem reasonable? That was the point of my posting those prices, not for forum members to tear into each other. This is the opposite of a “shiny footprints” approach if I’ve ever seen it. Everyone agrees the knife is very expensive to start with, many people just don’t like the design, that’s completely fine and your opinion. The world is so full of people tearing each other down, the reason I love this forum is it’s an oasis from all that - however this thread is demonstrating otherwise. I’m sure I’ll get raked over the coals for even posting this, but this is completely against the spirit of this place.
I agree on all points. I may have instigated the nastiness by calling the price of the regrind unjustifiable because apparently that was taken as a challenge. I did not intend to cause such a controversy.

I’ll just say, I can’t wait to eventually get one of these knives. It’s going to remain bone stock for its entire life. Just the way I like ‘em!
-Nick :bug-red
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Off-putting is the first word that comes to mind, quickly followed by gouging.

Very little about this knife or designer is appealing to me.

*ETA: After looking at his website and seeing that there were only 12 regrinds done, the exclusivity explains the price. I thought he was offering the regrinds as a service from the shared screenshot. Still not a fan of the knife though...
Last edited by Airlsee on Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So it goes.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

If you can't say something nice...
RadioactiveSpyder

Seems like the 15 minutes of fame for this one have passed, but I'm still enjoying it and am impressed with all the details I keep noticing about it. For example, the contoured scales end at the scalloped cutout (where your index finger sits), everything above that up to the pivot is actually flat. Also when it's closed, nearly every curve of the blade matches contours of the handle very smoothly and continuously. The front end of the blade (where so many dislike the horn) slopes directly into a matching slope on the bottom end of the handle (second pic). Also, the pivot end of the closed blade lines up directly with a complementary angle on the handle as well (third pic). The clip (which I unfortunately didn't take a decent shot of) also matches multiple angles of the scale, both the rounded contour on the back end and well as the line at the butt end of the knife. These little details that are hard to catch unless you really spend some time fondling it, and really shows how much time the Taichung factory folks must have spent making this custom maker's model a reality.

mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

^ Thanks for the close-up photos and the description of those little details.

I would say they are still in demand. I managed to buy one late last night at one of the few dealers that have shipping to my country.

I was going to post this morning that they were available on that website, but when I checked again they were out of stock.

Hopefully I'll get to handle the Stovepipe in person before the end of March.
Ranger000

Post by Ranger000 »

Peacedivision wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:40 pm
Someone is going to make a wicked re-grind.

excuse my MS paint skills.

Why is your pic different !!?? Shows no "blunt tip".

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... fe--139723
Ranger000

Post by Ranger000 »

cabfrank wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:59 am
If you can't say something nice...

So, if someone doesn't agree with you......they shouldn't give their opinion !!??

Only yours counts !!??
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

That is not at all what that means.
Danke

Post by Danke »

What makes me angry is the way they're forcing us to buy these! Forcing us!! Is that even legal?
Stovepipe

Post by Stovepipe »

gspam1 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:42 am
Love at first sight for me. I ordered as soon as I saw Eric demonstrate it on a Shot Show retailer video on the first day. I carry small, light Spydercos, and have enough knives (like everyone on this forum) to fulfill every conceivable practical purpose. So, the Stovepipe will have to fulfill some impractical purpose :)
Did you receive your Stovepipe yet? How do you like it? Discovered any specific purposes or usage?

I’m expecting mine this week and it will be my first Spyderco folder. It was love at first sight for me too and I’ve been looking and reading on folders and brands for several months now.

The Stovepipe being my first Spiderco knife is also, the reason I registered with this forum.
:bug-red-white -Peter

TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, Stovepipe:
Welcome to our forum. We hope you enjoy your time with us!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Stovepipe

Post by Stovepipe »

TazKristi wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:57 am
Hi, Stovepipe:
Welcome to our forum. We hope you enjoy your time with us!

Kristi
Thank you 😊
:bug-red-white -Peter

Danke

Post by Danke »

mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

My Stovepipe arrived today.

It fits my hand well, though the pocket clip is a bit of a hotspot when I grip the knife firmly. Won't be the first knife I grab if I need to whittle something, but for the typical occasional cutting tasks that I carry a knife for, it will work fine.
stovepipe_01.jpg