Regarding an appropriate Magnacut model:

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cycletroll

Regarding an appropriate Magnacut model:

Post by Cycletroll »

I realize Magnacut is all the rage these days but I'm not seeing exactly what I'm after in the discussion of why or what a given model should be possessed of this Magnificent steel.

So, in evaluating my wants I look first at what appeals to me about Magnacut. Two things really stand out: toughness (for a stainless steel) and corrosion resistance. Also I might mention sharpenability and fine grain. So what kind of knife exactly do these traits lend themselves to?
Well, a hard use everyday tough user sort of knife.

The two suggestions I've seen most commonly suggested (and with which I agree with for the most part) are the Straight Spine Stretch XL and the Manix 2/LW.
I cant really find fault with these offerings as they both fit the temperament of the steel however I can't help but desire something a bit bigger. Thus my suggestion how about a Manix 2 XL in Magnacut?
I own and use Manix XL's in s30v, s90v, & M4 and love each one but think that a Manix XL in Magnacut would be the Goldilocks steel for this fine knife.

And then of course there is the Mille.....

But that is a story for another day ;)

What say ye Spyderco Brethren (and Sisters:)?
Evil D

Re: Regarding an appropriate Magnacut model:

Post by Evil D »

I don't think much emphasis is put on how well a steel matched a model's intended use. For example we already have a Cruwear Dragonfly, so saying that a knife must be a hard use design to have a tough steel doesn't seem to matter. I'm not saying the argument doesn't make sense, just saying it doesn't seem to be something that is adhered to very strongly.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

As much as I would love to see it on the two models you suggested, I agree with David that in folders you do not really see a steel matched with the intended use of a model. A popular model and steel combo the Endura with ZDP-189 may seem odd as you have a long thin blade with a steel not known to be tough at all.

Can you imagine if the Stretch XL came out of the gate with Magnacut. I would imagine that combo would fill a lot of needs for a lot of fans. Especially with the edge combos it will get from day 1.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

I appreciate your input guys!
This is precisely my point.
Why is there a ZDP Endura but not one in Cruwear?!
Perhaps this thread can foment some honest discussion on matching Steel with use?
I think it is a valid observation that the new hotness that is Magnacut will sell well in whatever model it is released so why not release initially in models that capitalize on the steels traits?
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

what sells is dependent on the current steel hotness combined with what the 'market with the money' can carry.

Lots of people live in length-restricted areas and would therefore be itching for a large variety of steel in a smaller knife. The success of the Para 3 definitely confirms this.

will any of the smaller knives in 'steels of the moment' see use that requires the properties of the steel? who knows? lots of knife knuts buy knives specifically to open packages of more knives... :P
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Cycletroll wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:39 am
I appreciate your input guys!
This is precisely my point.
Why is there a ZDP Endura but not one in Cruwear?!
Perhaps this thread can foment some honest discussion on matching Steel with use?
I think it is a valid observation that the new hotness that is Magnacut will sell well in whatever model it is released so why not release initially in models that capitalize on the steels traits?

Much of it used to have to do with country of origin, Seki for example used to only play with Japanese steels but have recently been more open minded to working with steels from other countries. The Cruwear Dfly was an exclusive, so the reason we haven't seen an Endura is probably because nobody has asked for it yet. There may be some issue with doing larger blades in certain steels too, maybe warpage or something like that or even just the grinding process may be easier to deal with on smaller blades. If you stir up enough interest it may happen.
~David
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

With ZDP189 slowing sinking into the sunset it would be nice to see an Endura offered in another steel or even an exclusive in either Cruwear or Magnacut. Never know what the future will bring in steel offerings but it will definitely be interesting. MG2
Last edited by Manixguy@1994 on Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
phaust

Post by phaust »

Evil D nailed it. It's just what sells. Cruwear in everything proves people don't buy based on their needs or uses.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I too have wondered about some of the pairings of knives and steels, but I concluded that there are steel aficionados who will buy any knife in a particular steel, and model mavens who will buy any variation of a particular model, so why not sell as many knives as possible... For me, the best candidates would be the Waterway, the Caribbean, and either or both the Pac Salt and Stretch XL.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Caribbean, millie, Yojumbo, manix 2xl, Subvert, Police, siren, any fixed blade.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Coastal wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:54 am
I too have wondered about some of the pairings of knives and steels, but I concluded that there are steel aficionados who will buy any knife in a particular steel, and model mavens who will buy any variation of a particular model, so why not sell as many knives as possible... For me, the best candidates would be the Waterway, the Caribbean, and either or both the Pac Salt and Stretch XL.

I guess some people are better at using knives for specific roles or something, I try to use common sense but I know I can use a Dragonfly hard enough to justify having a toughness oriented steel in it. I may not be hammering through nails or breaching doors but if the steel will withstand edge damage then it's something I'm interested in. Nobody likes sharpening out edge damage.
~David
James Y

Post by James Y »

There are some people who will only carry small knives, even tiny knives. And they can accomplish more than most people expect with them. Some of it has to do with being the appropriate tool for what they use them for; but a LOT also has to do with the skill and know-how of the person using it. In the past, many old guys carried only tiny 2-blade pen knives, and were more than capable with them in a variety of tasks. In current times, in terms of Spyderco, some people may only want to carry blades that are no bigger than a Dragonfly.

As far as which model is appropriate for MC, it’s going to be which models people want and are going to buy in it, as opposed to what anybody may think should be the appropriate little box the steel should be limited to.

Jim
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

James, it was not my intention to imply that a given model "should be the appropriate little box the steel should be limited to" but rather, due to the excitement built up over Magnacut that maybe, just maybe that could be leveraged into demand for a less popular but nonetheless deserving model which could truly capitalize on MC's toughness.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

based on the properties of magnacut, i think it's optimized for a small to mid sized camp or edc fixed blade. the mule seems perfect for it, but maybe the new, longer and thinner enuff in a leaf blade would be even better.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Mike157

Post by Mike157 »

Since the Para 2 is still my favorite and most carried Spyderco, and seems to be a good platform for many steels, this would be my vote. Mike
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

Since tough steels offer greater edge stability at lower angles Magnacut makes since in thin slicers as well as hard use knives, correct?
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Aquasalt
MNOSD member 0011
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

You can bet a UKPK will get MC as well to satisfy the Euro spyderheads, would like to see a Pingo perhaps??
Matus

Post by Matus »

Something with a tall hollow grind and SE. I leave the details to Spyderco this time 😋
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I would love to see MagnaCut in every knife, but it could be a mistake to believe that every maker can make any knife in any steel. Just a small example would be that one of the makers in Japan used to be able to do hollow grinds and now they cannot. Another example is one of the Chinese makers did not want to use a steel other than 8Cr13MoV. Makers have to be able to cut the blanks, heat treat the steel properly, grind it efficiently, and do so with minimal waste.

I guess what I’m saying is that the knife you want for a particular task may never be available in the steel you want.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001