Past Spyderco PE Only Models You Want In Full SE?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomAiello

Re: Past Spyderco PE Only Models You Want In Full SE?

Post by TomAiello »

Ramonade wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:24 pm
But I would like to try a Chaparral in SE, even a Wharnie Chaparral SE.
I doubt that would sell well, but it's an excellent idea. I'd definitely buy a Chap SE. I'm intrigued enough by the idea that I may send a Chap LW off to get SE teeth ground into it.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:30 pm
Hands down a Ulize. I've said it a bunch of times, I'll prepay right now just let me know where to send the money.
And this. That would be an amazing knife.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Archimedes wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:12 am
twinboysdad wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:30 pm
Original Lil Temp, green handle and leaf blade
I still have my Lil Temp SE that I bought in 2005. It is one of my favorite knives of all time on my life long knife journey. I would put it up there with my first knife I got, which I still own. The Buck 110, I must have acquired it around 5th grade while in Boy Scouts. As a kid carrying that knife on a belt in its leather sheath was so cool. I still have the sheath also.
I distinctly remember back in those days when you were known as "Worker#9" I believe it was. I vividly remember at that time you were at that time thee quintessential spokesperson for the Lil Temperance model. I do clearly remember how high your opinion was on the original Lil Temp model. It was your approval of that model that prompted me to buy one of the Rhino Horn Lil T models>> I just wish that they would do a Sprint Run on the Rhino Horn Lil T with a full Spyderedge.

Back in that time slot they did make Leaf Blade Lil T in full SE but I never ever seen a Rhino Horn in full SE and I sure looked for one too. That Rhino Horn Lil T model my friend is one we need to lobby for in full Spyderedge starting effectively RIGHT NOW!!!!! For hard use cutting jobs the Rhino Horn Lil T sure had some distinct advantages>> and with a set of wicked TEETH that could be a mega-beast of a folder. The point on the Rhino Horn Lil T was super wicked when you got it razor sharp. It was an awesome variant of the original Lil T model for sure. That might just be my next big request for a Sprint Run if more people would get on board!!
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I still have my Rhino lil Temp. It really is the coolest variation. I have had these knives for at least 17 years. The only reason I don't use that account is I got locked out and could never get back in so I started a new account.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've been thinking about an answer to this thread since you made it, JD.

I'm happier with PE than SE these days, but there is one knife I'd be interested to try in SE, inspired by you.

The Street Beat.

I've been asking for a sprint for some time, something like PE M4 with green canvas micarta scales.

But maybe campaigning for a serrated Street Beat lightweight would be more sensible. Probably more likely to happen than a $200+ sprint of the original version.

So, Street Beat lightweight is my answer. I think it would be a nice knife to have in SE for a few reasons.

1. Some of them ship with a mild recurve edge, which makes reprofiling tedious. SE edges come so thin they don't really need reprofiled.

2. The prominent belly right towards the tip means materials are a little more likely to slip off on a slice, like tonight when I was slicing poly rope with my Street Beat. Serrated edges are far less likely to have materials slide off the belly.

3. The Street Beat offers a very secure and powerful grip. I feel like in a serrated run it would pack some serious cutting power for how compact it is.

4. Cost shouldn't be any more than the current version, which is about $120. Much more modest cost than the sprint I've been requesting.
:unicorn
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Not past models, but Waterway and Sliverax.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Archimedes wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:01 pm
I still have my Rhino lil Temp. It really is the coolest variation. I have had these knives for at least 17 years. The only reason I don't use that account is I got locked out and could never get back in so I started a new account.
Yeah I remember when you had those problems with your old forum name. You did the right thing just to start over. I've got the same problem with a "Straight Razor" forum I joined about 10 years ago. I'll probably have to do the same thing you did.

So do you think that a full SE version of the Rhino Horn Lil T should be lobbied for? There are 3 older model that were only made in PE that I serously want really bad in SE and the Rhino Horn LIl T is one of them>> the Rhino Horn Lil T is at the top of the list actually. But I would want the SE Sprint Run just as sturdy as the original Lil T models were back in the old days. And XHP would be an excellent blade steel for a full SE Lil Temp in the Rhino Horn design. XHP is one of the better steels for serrated edges that I've used in quite a while.

If I know that you and a few others also want to see that model and some others come to pass just let me know. Because there are at least 3 to 5 past Spyderco models I would love to see come back in a full SE Sprint Run>> and I don't think I'm alone either. But I want to know that others would get behind the project so we would have a better chance. It sure helped with the C-60 Sprint Run for sure.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

vivi wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:14 pm
I've been thinking about an answer to this thread since you made it, JD.

I'm happier with PE than SE these days, but there is one knife I'd be interested to try in SE, inspired by you.

The Street Beat.

I've been asking for a sprint for some time, something like PE M4 with green canvas micarta scales.

But maybe campaigning for a serrated Street Beat lightweight would be more sensible. Probably more likely to happen than a $200+ sprint of the original version.

So, Street Beat lightweight is my answer. I think it would be a nice knife to have in SE for a few reasons.

1. Some of them ship with a mild recurve edge, which makes reprofiling tedious. SE edges come so thin they don't really need reprofiled.

2. The prominent belly right towards the tip means materials are a little more likely to slip off on a slice, like tonight when I was slicing poly rope with my Street Beat. Serrated edges are far less likely to have materials slide off the belly.

3. The Street Beat offers a very secure and powerful grip. I feel like in a serrated run it would pack some serious cutting power for how compact it is.

4. Cost shouldn't be any more than the current version, which is about $120. Much more modest cost than the sprint I've been requesting.
VIVI I'm so glad you brought up the STREETBEAT model. That model haunts me in so many ways. My late best friend actually used the STREETBEAT ( Micarta version) I sold to him as his main EDC knife for the last 3 years of his life. He had a really cool ankle sheath that he made himself and he could deploy that Streetbeat so fast it would blow your mind to watch it. He died with that STREETBEAT model on him and I made sure his son got it.

But before he died he wanted me to get Spyderco to make a full SE version of it. I sold him a serrated version of the TEMP 1 because he liked the ones I had really good. But the STREETBEAT was his ultimate blade and he liked it better than any other Spyder I sold him. And he owned about a dozen Spyders when he died. He wanted that model in SE so bad and he bugged me about it constantly. I know he would be looking down on us smiling if we were able to get it done.

I think it would be a powerhouse fixed blade with Spyderco TEETH and I would sure own one.
Matus

Post by Matus »

One obvious choice was not mentioned yet - Worker. That knife is IMO a hard use Delica just more ergonomic the way it sits in hand, the the hump moved a little more forward. The pointy, but strong tip and hollow grind - I would get one in a heart beat in SE.

Just a little appreciation:
Attachments
19600270002_9507e0d67b_b.jpg
19600267412_12455b8529_b.jpg
19420651699_a22d066445_b.jpg
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Matus wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:32 am
One obvious choice was not mentioned yet - Worker. That knife is IMO a hard use Delica just more ergonomic the way it sits in hand, the the hump moved a little more forward. The pointy, but strong tip and hollow grind - I would get one in a heart beat in SE.

Hey "Matus" there were full Spyderedged "C-01 Worker" models offered from it's inception till they discontinued it. I used to own two of the full SE Worker models myself at one time. On this thread I'm speaking of Spyderco models that were only offered in either PE or CE that you wish they would offer and/or make available in full SE.

Now I do agree that the Worker model in full SE is a great cutting machine for it's size especially. But I'm sure if you spend some time looking around you can probably find a full SE version of the WORKER model.
Matus

Post by Matus »

That is a very good point JD, I was not aware of the full history of the Worker as I only knew (and briefly had) the last Sprint run with green G10 scale (a very nice knife indeed).
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:10 pm
Archimedes wrote:
Yeah I remember when you had those problems with your old forum name. You did the right thing just to start over. I've got the same problem with a "Straight Razor" forum I joined about 10 years ago. I'll probably have to do the same thing you did.

So do you think that a full SE version of the Rhino Horn Lil T should be lobbied for? There are 3 older model that were only made in PE that I serously want really bad in SE and the Rhino Horn LIl T is one of them>> the Rhino Horn Lil T is at the top of the list actually. But I would want the SE Sprint Run just as sturdy as the original Lil T models were back in the old days. And XHP would be an excellent blade steel for a full SE Lil Temp in the Rhino Horn design. XHP is one of the better steels for serrated edges that I've used in quite a while.

If I know that you and a few others also want to see that model and some others come to pass just let me know. Because there are at least 3 to 5 past Spyderco models I would love to see come back in a full SE Sprint Run>> and I don't think I'm alone either. But I want to know that others would get behind the project so we would have a better chance. It sure helped with the C-60 Sprint Run for sure.
I would pick one up if they made the original one again. It would be really cool to see the Rhino with teeth. The one change I would like to see is a more modern clip on the knife but leave the rest of the original design alone.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Archimedes wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:13 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:10 pm
Archimedes wrote:

I would pick one up if they made the original one again. It would be really cool to see the Rhino with teeth. The one change I would like to see is a more modern clip on the knife but leave the rest of the original design alone.
Back when they had the Rhino Horn Lil T in the main line up they were doing just about every model in SE & PE both. It's really a mystery as to why they never offered the Rhino Horn in full SE. I just know in my gut they would have sold quite a few of them too.

So maybe this would be an excellent request for an older PE model to be done in full SE.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Matus wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:32 am

Absolutely. I'm also guilty of forgetting this one and it's ironic because it really is one that I want quite a bit. I like everything about it more than a Delica, I just want SE.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Matus

Post by Matus »

... it is not often that one finds their soulmate online :savouring
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I really really want a full SE Grasshopper.

I was just drooling over Candyman's Hummingbird collection on Instagram and I don't see why those tiny blades could be done with serrations but the Bug line can't be. I really want a SE Grasshopper for my keys, I think being thinner and slimmer than a Ladybug will make it a better keychain knife, and I like the pinned construction because there aren't any screws to come loose (currently not carrying my Ladybug Salt because I lost a pivot screw). I also like that it's a slip joint because it'll be one step more legal everywhere I go. Lastly it has a bit more blade length which I find useful.

Oh and make it in MagnaCut because 🤣
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
razehound

Post by razehound »

I want to say the Spydiechef, but the blade angle is not super ideal.

I suppose what I mean is an LC200N Titanium SE folder...
-razehound :spyder: Spydiechef, Paramilitary 2, Para 3 LW, Salt 2 SE, Spydiechef, Para 3 LW

I'd rather get caught with it than without it...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

razehound wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:15 pm
I want to say the Spydiechef, but the blade angle is not super ideal.

I suppose what I mean is an LC200N Titanium SE folder...
Interesting you bring up the "Blade Angle" aspect of a fully serrated blade. Because I've been discovering that blades like the C-60 Ayoob that have a decent amount of curve in them usually make for great full SE models.

In spite of that I also think the Spydiechef would be an awesome model in full SE. There have just been so many models in the past 8 to 10 years that they've made in PE only that I thought should have gotten a chance in full SE.

I want to see more suggestions with curved blades.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

EARTH to VIVI at SPYDERVILLE!! OK Vivi I"ve agreed with your suggestion about an SE version of the STREETBEAT but I haven't heard your response on it? Yes I would love to see a full SE version of the STREETBEAT but I wouldn't stop there because I truly believe there are at least 5 other Spyderco fixed blades that could benefit from a Spyderedged version of those models.

I'm sort of surprised that more fixed blades haven't been mentioned as of yet to have TEETH. I still love the TEMPERANCE 1 model so much for 18 years running>> and one of the big reasons I love it so much is because you could get it in both PE & SE.

I think the STREETBEAT with TEETH could set a whole new precedent to show that fixed blades could be awesome in SE. And the STREETBEAT would be the perfect size to try in SE.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I’ve been carrying my Q-Ball a lot. I like a SE wharnie. In hindsight I should have kept my OG D’Allara Rescue and just had it reground super thin. I bet it would go from like 5oz down to 3 too, lol. What a smooth great knife that was!

A SE Spin might be nice too. Weird but meh, that’s my thing :)