We need a new “cut kit”

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Polecat

We need a new “cut kit”

Post by Polecat »

Gang, How about a new updated cut kit! Would love to see one redone, some of new hemostatic agents etc.

Dave
JRinFL

Re: We need a new “cut kit”

Post by JRinFL »

I sure could have used one a few months back. :-||
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Not a bad idea . I have first aid equipment in garage , Polaris , and in my Tacoma . They have been useful more than once . I’m also big on for extinguishers. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I agree, I think it would be a really popular updated item. I know someone in search of an original cut kit. (Any leads are appreciated ;) )

I’ve suggested in the past that Spyderco work with Vanquest to create an updated Cut Kit. They’ve already done two messenger bags with Vanquest. I’m sure Vanquest has a pocket friendly pouch that could easily be converted into a new Spyderco Cut Kit.
- Nick :bug-red
sal

Post by sal »

What a blast from the past. I'll watch the thread.

sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I would buy 1 or 3
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
attila

Post by attila »

I’d also be very interested.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I have never heard of a Spyderco Cut Kit...

I have a few of my own in Go-Bags and glove comp in my car etc, but this sounds like a goer!
Stuart Ackerman

Just Googled it, and went straight to here... and a 2020 thread..

viewtopic.php?t=86360

I like it!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Thank you for the link Stuart.

Yep, I'm in if this returns. One or two at least.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
sal

Post by sal »

I'll see if we can chase down what we did. This was "back in the day", so it might be challenging. Any of you have one or remember what was in it and the package? No promises. I remember it contained a Ladybug as well as other stuff; tweezer? Bandaids, etc.

sal
cjk

Post by cjk »

I think this is cool and would probably put one in each car.

I had never heard of this until today.

Link with pics https://www.spydercollection.com/spyderco-cut-kit
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

The nurse in me request steri-strips within the kit. They are my favorite closure device. Some of the newer bandaids have a conforming weave for digits, they are pretty cool too.

Sal, the sky is the limit with what could be included. I’d be happy to have a cut kit the way you made them 40 years ago.
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

I’ll buy one
Stuart Ackerman

From Joyce...

They were available approx. 1992-1994 and back then MSRP was relatively high at $42.95.
Kit included:
A yellow serrated Ladybug, steri strips, multiple sized Band-Aids, latex gloves, tweezers, antibiotic cream and antiseptic towels.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

All sounds good to me . Anyone have suggestions for Sal for any improvements ? MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
elduderino04

Post by elduderino04 »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:42 pm
All sounds good to me . Anyone have suggestions for Sal for any improvements ? MG2
Improvements might be hemostatic agent (QuickClot/celox, etc, either powder or impregnated gauze), as well as medical adhesive (i.e., basically a form of cyanoacrylate or super glue) if possible.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I forgot about these! Yes, I am definitely interested. Please count me in.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

sal wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:47 pm
This was "back in the day", so it might be challenging. Any of you have one or remember what was in it
Yes. In fact, I have an old school cut kit right here in my desk drawer. See the attached picture.

"Back in the day," our cut kit was a roll of 3M vinyl electrical tape, because there was work to be done, we were hard men, and there was no time for screwing around. The only reason to tape up a cut was to keep from making a mess on whatever you were working on.

Nowadays, the cut kit would need to have a sheet of paper and a blunt pencil (or sparkle pen) so you could fill out a Job Hazard Analysis before you even got the knife out of your pocket. The blunt pencil could also be used to submit your request to take the rest of the week off. A modern kit would also have latex gloves, a face mask, and a tissue for wiping the tears of whoever was cut. Oh, and let's not forget the Band Aid. It would have to have a Band-Aid, preferably with Hello Kitty pictures.

P.S.
I just googled on "spyderco cut kit" and came up with pictures for several different versions. I appears there was a combo edge Ladybug in the kit. Something so sharp and dangerous seems contrary to idea of having a cut kit. I'd have to confiscate that on the first day... for safety reasons.
IMG_5216.jpeg
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

RustyIron wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:12 pm
sal wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:47 pm
This was "back in the day", so it might be challenging. Any of you have one or remember what was in it
Yes. In fact, I have an old school cut kit right here in my desk drawer. See the attached picture.

"Back in the day," our cut kit was a roll of 3M vinyl electrical tape, because there was work to be done, we were hard men, and there was no time for screwing around. The only reason to tape up a cut was to keep from making a mess on whatever you were working on.

Nowadays, the cut kit would need to have a sheet of paper and a blunt pencil (or sparkle pen) so you could fill out a Job Hazard Analysis before you even got the knife out of your pocket. The blunt pencil could also be used to submit your request to take the rest of the week off. A modern kit would also have latex gloves, a face mask, and a tissue for wiping the tears of whoever was cut. Oh, and let's not forget the Band Aid. It would have to have a Band-Aid, preferably with Hello Kitty pictures.

P.S.
I just googled on "spyderco cut kit" and came up with pictures for several different versions. I appears there was a combo edge Ladybug in the kit. Something so sharp and dangerous seems contrary to idea of having a cut kit. I'd have to confiscate that on the first day... for safety reasons.

IMG_5216.jpeg
Lmao hilarious