Past Spyderco PE Only Models You Want In Full SE?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Past Spyderco PE Only Models You Want In Full SE?

Post by JD Spydo »

This is a burning subject I've been pondering for some time now. Because it goes without saying that Spyderco is undoubtedly the "Undisputed King Of Serrated Blades". Spyderco is so far ahead of any other company in that sector that when you think of or even mention fully serrated blades most knife fans immediately and automatically think of Spyderco.

As several of us who have been here for some time know there was a time in Spyderco's history that they offered even their most obscure models in full SE. But around 2007 or thereabout that trend went in the other direction and since then there have been several models that the company only made available in plain edge (PE). I do see some signs of this changing but very slowly and only for selected few models.

I think there are many of us here who have said to themselves "I Sure Wish They Would Make That Model In Full Spyderedge". There are so many Spyderco models made from 2007 till now that I've really wondered why certain models were not offered in full SE. Some of the models I would love to see offered in full SE are The ULIZE, The CAPTAIN, Breeden RESCUE, SUPERHAWK along with the C-36 Military model to name a few. I'm sure many of you guys have a list of 3 or more past Spyderco models you would love to see in full SE. So let's talk about it. Which models would you like to see offered in full SE?
PocketShredder

Re: Past Spyderco PE Only Models You Want In Full SE?

Post by PocketShredder »

P’Kal and Yojimbo 2.
Image:bug-red-white
"All God's critters have knives."
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

PocketShredder wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:44 pm
P’Kal and Yojimbo 2.
Well I never gave it much thought previously>> but I think you're on to something with the selection of the P'Kal model. I would like to test drive a P'kal model with TEETH.

Not sure how the Yojimbo would fare with TEETH. But both selections are interesting needless to say.

But the P'Kal would be one I would like to own with TEETH.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Ouroboros
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I have 3 Military's in SE. One in ATS-34, one in 440V and one in S30V. I think these are the only steels they did the Military with a SE. I would be interested in another SE Military in a different steel to add to the collection.

I have several Yojimbo's and that would be cool in SE.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I've little to no knowledge about SE. What I have comes from what I've read on the forum and what I've managed to experiment with the 2 SE knives I own.

But I would like to try a Chaparral in SE, even a Wharnie Chaparral SE.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

This is a silly answer, but if all models could be offered in both edges, I think it would be great. I know this is impossible though, because I'm sure PE sells much better.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Archimedes wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:04 pm
I have 3 Military's in SE. One in ATS-34, one in 440V and one in S30V. I think these are the only steels they did the Military with a SE. I would be interested in another SE Military in a different steel to add to the collection.

I have several Yojimbo's and that would be cool in SE.
Yes Archimedes you are 100% correct>> because I've owned all three of those same SE models of the Military model myself. The quit the fully serrated Millie shortly after they started making the Military model in S30V.

Yes I would also like to see one of their better quality Wharnie designs along with one of their recurve designs in full SE. And I agree with David that the ULIZE would be the perfect recurve to offer up in TEETH. I actually miss the Military model in full SE. The 440V SE MILLIE was my fav. 440V is an excellent steel for serrated edges and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I even like it a bit better than I do VG-10 for serrated models.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Ramonade wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:24 pm
I've little to no knowledge about SE. What I have comes from what I've read on the forum and what I've managed to experiment with the 2 SE knives I own.

I have some recommendations of serrated Spyderco models for you to "test drive" ( get started with). Any of the POLICE, Endura or NATIVE models in full SE you can't go wrong with. Also get yourself one of the full SE Hawkbill models>> the Harpy or Spyderhawk either one are great for a companion blade. Also any of Spyderco's RESCUE models are great as well.

I think your recommendation of the Chaparral would be quite interesting with TEETH. It sure is a very durable hard use blade from what I can tell so far. The Breeden RESCUE model is very close to a Wharncliffe design and it is high on my priority list.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Hands down a Ulize. I've said it a bunch of times, I'll prepay right now just let me know where to send the money.

An Ouroboros would be pretty cool too. Not so much because I think it would excel with serrations, I just like the design and think it would be nice.

Sliverax. This is also very high on my wish list. This knife is still very special to me even though I haven't given it much fanfare lately. If it came in full SE I'd be carrying one a lot. I do think this one would excel with serrations because of the negative blade angle and how the ergonomics work well in pull cuts.

The whole Bug line. Yes even the Bug itself, and even if it's only 4 total serrations on the whole blade. Really what I want is a full SE Grasshopper in H1/LC/MagnaCut, and it can even keep the stainless handles as long as they can work out a way to prevent galvanic corrosion. I like the Grasshopper over a Ladybug or Manbug because it's more slender and offers more edge length, and it's thinner so it'll ride on keys better and stainless handles will work just fine on keys and will take a nice battle patina over time. I'd even settle for the standard steel just to get full SE if necessary but a steel upgrade would really be nice.

I could honestly list about any knife ever made. I don't think there are many I wouldn't want in SE..
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

cabfrank wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:28 pm
This is a silly answer, but if all models could be offered in both edges, I think it would be great. I know this is impossible though, because I'm sure PE sells much better.
Well like I said in my opening post there was a time from about 1998 to about 2005 they made just about every one of their models in both edge types. There were not many folders at all during that time slot that were plain edge only till about 2007 or thereafter.

Their 2004 era TEMPERANCE 1 fixed blade was even available in SE & PE both>> and for that reason among other reasons it's still one of my all time favorite Spyderco fixed blades. Even many of their specialty and more obscure models like the "Jot Khalsa" and C-50 Centofante models were even available in full SE at that time. Thankfully the demand for premium grade serrated models is growing again. I do think that this upcoming C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run in both edge types will set the stage for more full SE models to be offered.
Last edited by JD Spydo on Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Lum Tanto (folder) would be crazy cool and cool useful with serrations along the main cutting edge and PE tip. Just saying …
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Matus wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:35 pm
Lum Tanto (folder) would be crazy cool and cool useful with serrations along the main cutting edge and PE tip. Just saying …
Now that is interesting!!! I've got to admit that I never even considered the C-46 Lum Tanto folder in full SE along the main length of the blade would have a lot of possibilities. My user folder of that C-46 Lum Tanto is a combo edge and I'm here to tell all of you that I dearly love that knife in combo edge.

I'll go out on a limb and say that the C-46 Lum is their best combo edged unit they ever made in my opinion. I'll never trade or sell the one I have as a user. And I've got one of the ATS-55 versions and I dearly love it.

I really like your suggestion.
Matus

Post by Matus »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:43 pm
Now that is interesting!!! I've got to admit that I never even considered the C-46 Lum Tanto folder in full SE along the main length of the blade would have a lot of possibilities. My user folder of that C-46 Lum Tanto is a combo edge and I'm here to tell all of you that I dearly love that knife in combo edge.

I'll go out on a limb and say that the C-46 Lum is their best combo edged unit they ever made in my opinion. I'll never trade or sell the one I have as a user. And I've got one of the ATS-55 versions and I dearly love it.

Thank you for your kind words. I have been looking for a tanto that would fit what I had in my head for a long time and while I did not get one yet, the BM Bailout was the closest match. Then just yesterday I bumped into Bob Lum’s fixed blade tantos on YT and just got the idea - how cool it would be to have a tanto with full SE edge. Today I just searched for ‘tanto’ at Spyderco and the Lump Tanto just jumped at me and I realized - THAT is the knife I had in my head all along!

So yeah, my vote goes to Lum Tanto full SE.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Original Lil Temp, green handle and leaf blade
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:24 pm
Ramonade wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:24 pm

I have some recommendations of serrated Spyderco models for you to "test drive" ( get started with). Any of the POLICE, Endura or NATIVE models in full SE you can't go wrong with. Also get yourself one of the full SE Hawkbill models>> the Harpy or Spyderhawk either one are great for a companion blade. Also any of Spyderco's RESCUE models are great as well.

I think your recommendation of the Chaparral would be quite interesting with TEETH. It sure is a very durable hard use blade from what I can tell so far. The Breeden RESCUE model is very close to a Wharncliffe design and it is high on my priority list.
Thanks for the recommandation ! I already have a (long) short list but I think either the Endura or Native full teeth is gonna come my way sooner than later ^^ My cutlery sells both models at a great discount compared to EU prices (80€ for the Endura SE, usually more than 100€, and 100€ for N5 LW SE, usually 140€)

I personnally love the fact that both Chap and Natives (5 and Chief) have virtually zero play. They'll develop some one day I'm sure but teeth on something that is really not budging no matter what you throw at it should be really satisfying.

(For now I have the Byrd Hawkbill and the Endela SE)
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I think a lot of the knives I’d have listed have already been mentioned, but I want to especially express my love for recurves.
Things like the Ulize are just right for me.

Recurves have a lot of potential.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Matus wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:01 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:43 pm

Thank you for your kind words. I have been looking for a tanto that would fit what I had in my head for a long time and while I did not get one yet, the BM Bailout was the closest match. Then just yesterday I bumped into Bob Lum’s fixed blade tantos on YT and just got the idea - how cool it would be to have a tanto with full SE edge. Today I just searched for ‘tanto’ at Spyderco and the Lump Tanto just jumped at me and I realized - THAT is the knife I had in my head all along!

So yeah, my vote goes to Lum Tanto full SE.
Heck yes!!! I would be on board with that one. One thing to consider about the Spyderco C-46 Lum Tanto Folder>> The tanto-end of the blade is not at all like your typical "tanto" blade style. Bob Lum designed his a lot more streamlined than any other Tanto blade I ever owned>> thus I find it much more useful than I ever did with any other "tanto" blade I ever tried. I didn't even like Tanto blades at all until I got my first Spyderco Bob Lum C-46 model. That changed the game for me entirely.

The more I think about a full SE blade on that Spyderco C-46 Lum model ( except the tip) the more I would like to try one.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

twinboysdad wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:30 pm
Original Lil Temp, green handle and leaf blade
I still have my Lil Temp SE that I bought in 2005. It is one of my favorite knives of all time on my life long knife journey. I would put it up there with my first knife I got, which I still own. The Buck 110, I must have acquired it around 5th grade while in Boy Scouts. As a kid carrying that knife on a belt in its leather sheath was so cool. I still have the sheath also.
Monty

Post by Monty »

I'd like a serrated waterway and siren, perhaps even a combo edge waterway.

Would also love something on the higher end, a Drunken or Lil Nirvana.

The one I've been wanting for a while is a Baby Jess Horn for a classy small folder.