Sal, Can You Remind Us Of The Ladybug's Origins?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Eli Chaps

Sal, Can You Remind Us Of The Ladybug's Origins?

Post by Eli Chaps »

Sal,

Several years ago I gave my son in law an Endura. He and my daughter now have several Spydies that they use hard and often. I recently gave my daughter a Ladybug and after a couple weeks of use, she just text me how much she loves it. I was telling her how someone, I thought a Japanese smith, asked you for a smaller Endura and she thought that relationship was awesome.

Can you tell us that story again Sal?
sal

Re: Sal, Can You Remind Us Of The Ladybug's Origins?

Post by sal »

Hi Eli,

We had brought the Endura and Delica into the market. One of the Sakai brothers, I think it was Sumio, asked for a miniature Endura. I said OK so we made a mold for the knife and brought it out into the market. It worked out OK, but by then we'd learned that just making a knife smaller doesn't retain the ergonomics of the larger model.

Later. I was asked to design a knife between the Delica and the Ladybug, so I designed the dragonfly. Then I redesigned the Ladybug to be more ergonomic and user friendly. That's the model we make today.Then I wanted a heavier duty small knife with a thicker blade full flat ground. That was the birth of the Manbug. I've tried a few blades for the Manbug. Now 'm planning a Leaf blade version.

sal
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

sal wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:00 pm
Hi Eli,

We had brought the Endura and Delica into the market. One of the Sakai brothers, I think it was Sumio, asked for a miniature Endura. I said OK so we made a mold for the knife and brought it out into the market. It worked out OK, but by then we'd learned that just making a knife smaller doesn't retain the ergonomics of the larger model.

Later. I was asked to design a knife between the Delica and the Ladybug, so I designed the dragonfly. Then I redesigned the Ladybug to be more ergonomic and user friendly. That's the model we make today.Then I wanted a heavier duty small knife with a thicker blade full flat ground. That was the birth of the Manbug. I've tried a few blades for the Manbug. Now 'm planning a Leaf blade version.

sal
Thank you sir. Among your many masterpieces, the Dragonfly is a personal favorite. I'll watch for your new Manbug.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i remember wanting the ladybug for months and then seeing the endura in cliffhanger. i had to have it. i was just a kid, so the endura wasn't realistic for me. the ladybug was my first pocket knife, hence the name. today, i carry a ladyhawk on me always and a pacific salt often. still great designs.

keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:26 pm
i remember wanting the ladybug for months and then seeing the endura in cliffhanger. i had to have it. i was just a kid, so the endura wasn't realistic for me. the ladybug was my first pocket knife, hence the name. today, i carry a ladyhawk on me always and a pacific salt often. still great designs.

Excellent.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Sal,

How long does it take for a knife to go from prototype to production?
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I love the back story on knife designs. I would love there to be a sticky thread that's along the line of Story Time with Sal. Could be origin stories of different models, other interesting tidbits of working with designers, anything. Would just be fun to memorialize some of these stories.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Bemo wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:36 pm
I love the back story on knife designs. I would love there to be a sticky thread that's along the line of Story Time with Sal. Could be origin stories of different models, other interesting tidbits of working with designers, anything. Would just be fun to memorialize some of these stories.
I would love to see Eric and Michael Janitch produce a Sal Glesser documentary. Absolute legend in design, character and experience.

I love the idea of my granddaughter being able to one day watch a "movie" of the man who was behind so many of the knives her grandpa left her. ;)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

A leaf blade Manbug? Who do I write the check to?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:42 pm
Cutlery Shoppe. ;)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Eli Chaps wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:54 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:42 pm
Cutlery Shoppe. ;)
I wouldn't doubt it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:00 pm
Hi Eli,
I've tried a few blades for the Manbug. Now 'm planning a Leaf blade version.

sal
I am fully on board with this!

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
40mm

Post by 40mm »

I love hearing the history of how and why certain designs came into being as well! A history sticky would be awesome. Sal, would you share a little more about the Dragonfly design? It’s most interesting to me especially now knowing that you were asked to design something in between a delica and the ladybug. The Dragonfly is such a departure from those two designs that I’d love to know how it came to be!
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

How about the long awaited clip on the leaf blade Manbug? 🤞
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I love Spyderco history!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032