Endura Clipit

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jsd

Endura Clipit

Post by Jsd »

I bought this knife a long time ago, and it is the reason for my Spyderco addiction. It has been well used. I thought I would post a picture of it and Spyderco experts could tell me about it.
Attachments
2574F6E7-68F6-496B-85D5-499E1DFEF7B1.jpeg
04F8F7CF-DBAB-4ADC-966C-505476131401.jpeg
phaust

Re: Endura Clipit

Post by phaust »

What are you looking to know?

In the meantime, SpydieWiki is always a good source for info https://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?title=C10_Endura
Jsd

Post by Jsd »

According to SpydieWiki, I think I have a gen 1 Endura. 1990 sounds like the year I bought it. It’s still a great knife.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Jsd wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:06 pm
I bought this knife a long time ago, and it is the reason for my Spyderco addiction. It has been well used. I thought I would post a picture of it and Spyderco experts could tell me about it.
That's a distinctive looking knife you have there, at least to this Spyderco Non-Expert who is accustomed to modern designs. I'll prefer my Endura 4, but I understand the appeal of carrying a knife that you've had for thirty years. Thanks for the pics!
Jsd

Post by Jsd »

I agree with you RustyIron, the modern versions have surpassed the old veteran. Back when I bought that knife it was unique and different. Back then most pocket knives were big heavy folders, or little twin bladed folders. I immediately fell for the Spyderco. I could open and close it with one hand, and deploy it as fast as the old switchblades. I have now retired it to my knife drawer covered in oil. Now I cary a Delica 4, Centofante, PM2, Endura 4, or many others. They are really great knives.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

It is first gen, but the wide clip indicates at least second mold. It was changed several times.
James Y

Post by James Y »

It looks the same as my first Endura that I bought new in 1998, but who knows what year mine was actually made. Mine has AUS-8 blade steel and a combo edge. Even though I think the Endura 4 is a big improvement, that old Endura is still a great knife.

Jim
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jsd.

From 1990 to 1995 or 6, we changed the mold four times in an attempt to make the clip strong enough so it wouldn't break. I would have to see the side view of the clip to know which of the four variations you have. It looks like you have 3 or 4.

Then we learned that people were intentionally breaking the clips on their knives with a hammer to turn it in for a new knife. We stopped replacing them and began sanding down the remnants of the clip and fastening a metal clip. Still a PITA but it was a fix that slowed the broken clip returns and saved us a lot of new knives. . Then we made new molds in '98 that sported a metal clip.

Your knife seems to be in good shape. A testament to your caring for your knife.

sal
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I learn something new every day on this forum. Thanks Sal for that story. Sorry people are sh*tty but at least it turned into an innovation story.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

That's a cool part of history.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
sal

Post by sal »

A comparison between the original 1990 Endura and the Stretch 2 XL are remarkably similar.

sal
Jsd

Post by Jsd »

Thank you very much Sal. Here is a side view. I have watched with great interest the changes and improvements in Spyderco products over the years. Having insight into the development of this knife is great, and I appreciate it. - John
Attachments
clipit.jpg
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jsd,

That was the 3rd modification to the mold.

Also, the thicker part of the handle by the pivot was an attempt to teach people how to hold the knife to be able to open it with one hand. Back then, we still had most people ask, "What's the hole for"?

sal
Jsd

Post by Jsd »

The hole was such a great innovation. Single handed use and rapid deployment, awesome. I guess a lot of folks don't realize just how significant that was back then. - John
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I have that exact model.
I massaged with a flatter grind, around 7 inch radius and the blade now looks like a Delica blade was swapped whilst I was sleeping... :)
The clip did snap off, so I fitted a 1.5mm Kydex clip that went full length of the scale with a Chicago screw.

I eventually removed the clip and using a soldering iron, I made Chiclet depressions all over, long before anyone started doing the same thing with their slippery Glocks. :)

I had a pic here in SF, but my image holder stole it...
I will do another sometime soon.
K1500

Post by K1500 »

I have one in AUS8A. The clip was bad to snap off of snagged on a door strike plate or something similar. Mine now sports one of the Spyderco replacement clips.
vivi

Post by vivi »

sal wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:49 pm
Hi Jsd,

That was the 3rd modification to the mold.

Also, the thicker part of the handle by the pivot was an attempt to teach people how to hold the knife to be able to open it with one hand. Back then, we still had most people ask, "What's the hole for"?

sal
I wondered about that swell near the pivot on the old Enduras and Dragonflys for years. Saw it on some old japanese Cold Steel folders too.

Thanks for the insights on the history of the Endura. Always interesting getting to read stories like this.
:unicorn