Carbon Fiber S90V UKPK

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cycleguy

Carbon Fiber S90V UKPK

Post by cycleguy »

When?

Spyderco has done this combination on a few knives and offered them as a Sprint Run.

Has there been any talk when this may become a reality in a UKPK?
So many knives - so little funds!!!
TomAiello

Re: Carbon Fiber S90V UKPK

Post by TomAiello »

Instant buy for me, if that happens. :)
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

A peel-ply CF S90V UKPK would be basically an ultimate build, as would another Ti offering. If I had to choose though, I’d much prefer the CF one as it would be lighter and likely a bit less expensive.

I really hope they don’t ever try to use the smooth stuff they put on the CF Chief, that pretty much killed off my appreciation for that knife, and (for me) ruined another potential ultimate offering. Just stick with that fabulous peel-ply that’s on all the other amazing Golden CF models.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
timlara

Post by timlara »

I will pre-order this right now.
Tim
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I’m in!
sal

Post by sal »

I'd like one.

sal
soundshaman

Post by soundshaman »

I would also like one to go with the few s90v CF spydies. Lets make it happen :)
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

wow, what an Idea! Would buy that one definitely. Do this to Urban as well and I am set for few years. :smiling-heart-eyes
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'm the opposite of Radioactive on the carbonfiber, I think peel ply ruins the look of cf, may as well just use G-10. The S90V Chief is in my top 5 favorite knives, gorgeous and functional.

I'm not in the market for a ukpk, so I don't have a dog in this fight, but I felt I had to defend my beloved smooth cf.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Wow, a chance to right a wrong?

I was wrong to have joined this forum a year after this UKPK was released and had evaporated.

C’mon, Spyderco! Help me out.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
RadioactiveSpyder

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:00 am
I'm the opposite of Radioactive on the carbonfiber, I think peel ply ruins the look of cf, may as well just use G-10. The S90V Chief is in my top 5 favorite knives, gorgeous and functional.

I'm not in the market for a ukpk, so I don't have a dog in this fight, but I felt I had to defend my beloved smooth cf.
If you don’t like the peel-ply texture, you can sand it smooth. You can’t go in the other direction. All the other CF S90V Golden models are peel-ply save for that Chief, not matching the rest of them to me is just a waste of time. The older CF UKPK is smooth, so if you want one, it’s already out there. There’s certainly no peel-ply version, and there’s a noticeable difference to me between CF and G10, and likely lots of other folks.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
ekastanis

Post by ekastanis »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:55 am
All the other CF S90V Golden models are peel-ply save for that Chief, not matching the rest of them to me is just a waste of time.
C229CFP isn’t either, not to mention C41CFFP5
RadioactiveSpyder

ekastanis wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:31 am
C229CFP isn’t either, not to mention C41CFFP5
Both of those are contoured-handled models (Shaman and fluted N5, you missed one BTW), they don't use the flat handles that all the others I'm referring to do. If Sal wants to make a fluted CF UKPK, even better. I have both fluted CF N5s, and I would not consider them "smooth" like the CF Chief, there's noticeable peel-ply texture even with the fluting.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Radioactive it is definitely easier to remove texture than add it, and I 'could' sand down peel ply, but why on earth would I want to? Rather have the experts at the factory do it. I'd be more likely to pay less for a G-10 knife and buy good looking aftermarket Carbon Fiber scales than to pay a premium for peel ply.

If there was a compelling design or steel that had peel ply I'd hold my nose and buy it. And as I said Im not in the market for a ukpk, so in regards to this knife don't count my vote one way or the other.

My favorite CF Spydeies are the marbled cf Manix, Fluted CF Native, Kapara, Chief, and Shaman. I've derailed this thread enough and will see myself out.
:zipper
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
attila

Post by attila »

I’d really like a fluted CF S90V UKPK. I’d buy one or two for sure. Flat CF isn’t nearly as compelling.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

I would be definitely down for two of these. Preferably SE and straight edge.

Fluted like the 40th Native5 would be favourite.
Smooth carbon next.
Peel-ply is fine too.
David
Always outnumbered; never outgunned.

Proud member of Sal's Troublemaker Class since July 2020
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

cycleguy wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:07 pm
When?

Spyderco has done this combination on a few knives and offered them as a Sprint Run.

Has there been any talk when this may become a reality in a UKPK?

This is a fantastic idea, I’m so glad you brought it up!

Peel ply or smooth would be great, but I too think the Chief had the best texture CF of all.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
RadioactiveSpyder

While it’s a lovely idea, using fluted CF would undoubtedly drive up the price and likely result in this model coming out at a later date than if they stuck with the standard handle shape. I’m done posting in this thread because I don’t want it to become a smooth vs peel-ply discussion, I’d rather it just be folks supporting the idea of a CF S90V UKPK sprint in general. If it comes out being smooth CF though, I’m out since I already have the older smooth CF UKPK. Cheers, Radioactive
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I’m in. Gimme the peel ply version like radioactive mentioned please!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Drop point, please