Favorite Lock?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

Re: Favorite Lock?

Post by kennethsime »

I think this would’ve been great as a poll. Maybe we can do another thread?

I like a lot of locks, but the back lock is probably my favorite all hinge considered.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Backlock by far.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
anycal

Post by anycal »

My top three - compression lock, back lock, and frame lock (liner lock) - are in a way interchangeable for me.

PM2 is my go to knife. Based on model first, lock mechanism second. It is most used, which makes the compression lock most familiar and favorite by default.

In the same way, the Native 5 makes the back lock my second favorite, and the Military makes the R.I.L. third. I would be OK with any of these three model equipped with any of the three locks.

That said, if the PM2 came with BB lock, I am not sure if the model would remain #1. I do like the Manix 2 with its BB lock, just not my top three lock.
Peter
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Pretty much what the others have said. Compression lock is tops for me, followed fairly closely and equally by backlocks and Ti RILs. The rest, not so much…
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ovgcguy wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:05 pm

For me its the back compression lock because it is the most flickable (my knives are fidget objects in addition to matter separators), it can be opened and closed with one hand, your fingers are never in front of the blade when closing, and will drop closed via gravity or with a quick twist of the wrist (if you want).

the PM3 is my favorite 'feel' when opening or closing. The back lock has a satisfying Snap to it, even more than a compression lock, but is less flickable opening and is not wrist-flick or gravity closable. .....

May i ask: Do you mean only the "comp.lock can be opened and closed with one hand, your fingers are never in front of the blade when closing, and will drop closed via gravity or with a quick twist of the wrist"?

All of these things backlock and CBBL can do both as well, only the liner/frame lock cannot be closed fully via "wrist flick" or with "fingers out of the blade path" (though of course it still can be opened and closed one handed).

Sure, a backlock has to be dialed in a lot more to be "gravity closable" (something I personally don´t want anyway), but can always be "wrist flicked" to close....
A backlock can also be "flicked open" with each finger - though admittedly this takes certainly a bit more finger strength and/or technique.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Backlock > CBBL > Liner/framelock... >Comp.lock

Vivi has already said most of why I too prefer the backlock: Best self close, numerous ways to close one handed (including "fingers never in the blade path and with wrist flick"), safest to close one handed
I may add: No real cutout in the handle than can interfere with ergos and for me together with the linerlock safest-in-hand while operating the lock.

The CBBL is very similar in many aspects: Good self close, mutliple ways of closing it one handed, no cutout in the handle, very safe to close one handed (cause the blade is "kept from free swinging" as Vivi said. For me a lot more important than "fingers out of the blade path" - especially (but not only) on knives with a finger choil).

I came to like the liner/framelock a lot more again with my S35VN Tenacious: In operation perhaps my favorite locktype, cause the knife remains in a very natural position in the hand when operating the lock, is has a convenient, large locktab and is the best lock to operate in cold, wet, muddy conditions and/or when one is wearing gloves imho Though I use just two different methods when closing a linerlock one handed, I really don´t need any more.
Also the linerlock cutout in the handle happens to be not uncomfortable at all for me personally, but almost feels a bit like "chamfering".

The comp.lock is just an ingenious idea and design, but for me more of a "niche" locktype for more urban "gents" knives, not so much for harder use outdoor folders.
Why? The comp.lock cutout tends to create a hotspot in longer, harder use. And the comp.lock is a bit more akward to use with gloves and cold hands, due to the small cutout and locktab, the knife is less safe in hand then.
Ranger Ike is right when he says that the comp.lock can be closed like a backlock (and then a comp.lock knife is less prone to get dropped like it would be with that a bit unnatural "pinch grip comp.lock method"). BUT: There the thing Vivi mentioned comes into play: With a comp.lock the blade is much more likely to "swing freely", so when closing a comp.lock like a backlock, the potential for harm to the fingers is increased.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Matus

Post by Matus »

The compression lock on my PM2 and my wife's Sage 5 is just perfect. The liner lock on the GB1 is sublime, the frame lock on the Tuff and Brouwer is fantastic, the back lock on the Native Chief is a smooth operator ...

... how exactly am I supposed to choose my favorite one? Every day of the week I would probably give a different answer.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Plunge Lock. As much as I love thumb holes, I find a properly designed automatic to be even better and especially for my work where my use can go from casual to borderline emergency I appreciate knowing that I've got an open knife in the blink of an eye with the push of a button. It works great with gloves on, it has unbeatable close bias, it can even be serviced without taking the whole knife apart. More and more areas are also making them legal so hopefully someday we see more Spyderco automatics.
Last edited by Evil D on Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

Backlock followed by liner lock. I love backlock but hate rock lock though. Only Spyderco without rock lock in my collection would be Native 5 which is extremely solid - better construction of lug and blade cutout on Native than on Delica\Endura.

Military linerlock is probably my favorite.

I have to say I also fell in love, after a while, with slipits. What became originally necessity is now my most carried option (urbans and squeak).
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Overall, it's got to be the mid backlock.

I'm not obsessing on lock types though.
The most important factor for me is that the lock chosen is appropriate for the design and (my) intended use. For my use and priorities, that often ends up being a backlock, but in those cases that's just an organic endpoint, and not a starting point for my selection criteria's.

Every lock has it's pro's and con's, so with a variety of use cases, one ends up with a variety of lock types.

As far as mid backlocks go, I don't quite agree with the OP. Though fidget factor isn't a motivation for my purchasing decisions, I will argue that backlocks are quite fidgety. It's just not as forgiving with regards to technique, which again makes it all the more satisfactory once you get it right.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

aicolainen wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:40 am

Every lock has it's pro's and con's, so with a variety of use cases, one ends up with a variety of lock types.

As far as mid backlocks go, I don't quite agree with the OP. Though fidget factor isn't a motivation for my purchasing decisions, I will argue that backlocks are quite fidgety. It's just not as forgiving with regards to technique, which again makes it all the more satisfactory once you get it right.

You are a truly wise man, my friend! :smiling-cheeks
RevMike

Post by RevMike »

My favorite for actual use is the CBBL but my favorite for fidgeting is the Phantom. I'm not much of a fidgeter but I did catch myself absentmindedly opening and closing a MeerKat while watching TV the other day.
404 :bug-red-white s in 81 steel flavors.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:11 am
]
You are a truly wise man, my friend! :smiling-cheeks
That’s far too kind, my friend :winking-tongue
SRT392HEMI

Post by SRT392HEMI »

Ergonomics are far more important than lock type for me, but my favs are the comp lock and CBBL. Both will allow for an amazing action, and for a clumsy guy like me, keeping fingers out of the blade path is never a bad thing.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

For me, a tie between back lock and compression lock.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SRT392HEMI wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:43 am
.... and for a clumsy guy like me, keeping fingers out of the blade path is never a bad thing.

Did you ever try this with a backlock?
It is certainly a bit harder to do than with comp.lock or CBBL, but weirdly I personally almost never use the "fingers out of the blade path" method with the two latter, but for some reason quite often with my backlocks...
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Back lock by a wide margin and no one does them better than Sal.

Big fan of the CBBL.

Compression lock is one of my least favorites.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I can't say that I have a favorite. One of the reasons I have so many different models is I like the variety of locking mechanisms.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Ranger_Ike wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:14 pm
I have started to like the compression lock a lot since I realized I can close it like my backlocks, by pressing the lock over with my thumb and letting the blade (choil area) swing down onto my finger. This way I have a full grip on the knife. It also works to push the lock with my thumb and rotate the blade with my index finger, like I do a backlock. This makes the compression lock more enjoyable for me than it is with a pinch-to-close method.
Wow this had never dawned on me to close my compression locks this way. Gets around the issue if you are wearing gloves! I would caution against doing this with the Ikuchi (no choil) as you may end up having to post in the knife safety 101 thread. I didn't quite draw blood :head-bandage
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Bemo wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:38 pm
Ranger_Ike wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:14 pm
I have started to like the compression lock a lot since I realized I can close it like my backlocks, by pressing the lock over with my thumb and letting the blade (choil area) swing down onto my finger. This way I have a full grip on the knife. It also works to push the lock with my thumb and rotate the blade with my index finger, like I do a backlock. This makes the compression lock more enjoyable for me than it is with a pinch-to-close method.
Wow this had never dawned on me to close my compression locks this way. Gets around the issue if you are wearing gloves! I would caution against doing this with the Ikuchi (no choil) as you may end up having to post in the knife safety 101 thread. I didn't quite draw blood :head-bandage
I tried this for a while on the Kapara. To get around the small slippery scales issue. You really got to get your finger up high or else it will bite you.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005