GB3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ranger_Ike

GB3

Post by Ranger_Ike »

I have been going back and forth on the GB2 for a while now. The things that hold me back are the liner lock and the m4.

I know this is just dreaming, but I would love to see a new version with the following:

1: A more stainless steel.
Cruwear would be a good pick in this knife for me. I could see Magnacut being a popular choice. Maybe s110v. I’d even be happy with 20cv.

2: a backlock
I’m not crazy about liner locks. A backlock version of this would be great. Might need a ricasso like the Endura added for one handed closing, but there might be enough room as is?

The hollow grind, and overall shape I would like to stay the same.

What would you change?
WRB

Re: GB3

Post by WRB »

I'd change the liner lock to be more comfortable, that's for sure. It's the least comfortable lock to disengage of all my knives by a long shot. I still carry it because everything else is excellent (it's in my pocket right now) but the lock sucks. It's also the main complaint I see about the knife, although some will still say that the lock is fine (it's not). I'm not a fan of backlocks so much but I'd take one over this uncomfortable liner lock any day.

I'd be happy to see it in a stainless offering. M4 does okay corrosion-wise but I'd like to not have to worry about it so much. I tend to reach for a different knife when I have to cut something that might make the M4 stain.

The only other thing would be to firm up the detent, but that may just be this particular knife. Mine is a bit soft so flicking doesn't work, but I really don't care about that and just open it with my thumb. Minor thing.

That's about it for me. It's an excellent knife, even with its current "flaws". If all that got "fixed" I'd be ecstatic. But I doubt that would merit a GB3 name, really. Seems more like a CQI update for the GB2 to me, aside from the potential steel change.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Problem is...to be a Gayle Bradley model it needs to be based on a design by Gayle Bradley.

The liner lock on the GBs were designed how they are for a reason. I remember seeing a video where Gayle said something like...if his wife can open it can't be that hard. When I got my first GB I struggled with it a little too. I even bought a second one that had the cut out modification done so I could open it easier. Then I figured out to push down on the lock bar and then move it over. No issues opening non-modified one since then. The weak detents are pretty easy to fix but should come stronger in the first place. It seems like they're trying to improve the Taichung models with detents lately. Hopefully this aspect improves in future runs
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

Here’s the video that Sharp Guy is talking about, in it Mr Bradley tells why he designed the liner lock that way in his knife…

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I'd be in for a Crucarta GB2. If they wanted to do a GB3, I'd just ask for contoured scales like the Shaman. That would be a killer knife!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

To be clear I wasn't trying to criticize the way he designed the lock, and I understand there are a lot of discussions about if it is easy or not, and i didn’t want to start another one of those so sorry if it came across that way. My reasoning is that I just don't like liner locks in general.

I really enjoyed the video, thanks! I agree with his design choices. I like the proud liners, the angles, etc. I also really enjoy hearing a knife designer talk about their reasoning.

Hadn’t really thought about it has to be designed by him to be redone, but then again I don’t really expect anything to come of this. It was more of a thought I’ve been pondering.

Thanks for the input. Always like to hear what other’s thoughts are.
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

this is among the must haves i don't own, but the big thing holding me back is 1. disliking carbon fiber and 2. basically no stainlessness. lock isn't an issue for me, and that's a great steel, but i'm getting lazier and want to worry less about non-superficial rust. if the scales were produced in a micarta like the pm2's in color and texture though, i'd be on it without any other change
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

How similar in hand does the GB2 feel to the Starmate?
WRB

Post by WRB »

To clarify my position on the lock: I have zero problem opening the lock. It's 100% functional and not a problem (it wouldn't be in my pocket if it were a problem). What I dislike is that the act of opening the lock is uncomfortable. I prefer the parts of my knives that aren't the edge to be comfortable on the hand. I believe the lock could be comfortable with a minor change in design that wouldn't sacrifice anything else about the lock. That is all. Maybe my comment about taking a backlock over the current one was confusing, but I'd prefer a modified version of the current liner lock that's not so uncomfortable to open.

If I sound nitpicky remember that I'm trying to find something wrong with a knife that is close to perfect.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

The one thing I would change on all his designs is the "digital rounding". The proud liners are why I gave away my GB1 and why I never bought another Gayle Bradley design.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:42 pm
The one thing I would change on all his designs is the "digital rounding". The proud liners are why I gave away my GB1 and why I never bought another Gayle Bradley design.
I haven’t had one, but just looking at it I agree. Some nice Shaman-like contours would complement this knife well.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
NOVA_Mag

Post by NOVA_Mag »

What I love most about the GB2 is the blade shape. A stainless steel option and a lock where fingers/thumbs aren’t in the blade path as it closes are what I would like to see.