Spyderco "Custom Shop " ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
NASA50

Spyderco "Custom Shop " ?

Post by NASA50 »

Has Spyderco ever had or considered having a "Custom Shop" ?

What I mean by this is ... some of the firearm manufacturers e.g., Colt, S&W, etc. - for example, have a "Custom or Performance Shop" - whereas customers who want performance beyond and above the normal "assembly line" version can send their revolvers back to the Custom Shop, where the actions are polished and customed tuned to achieve a higher level of performance, something more than assembly line tolerances/workmanship.

Before you guys start tearing my head off, I realize that a knife is much more simplistic than a Colt Python revolver ... but I would personally love to be able to send all of my Spydercos to a Spyderco "custom shop" to have them polished and tuned and sharpened to perfection ... something not practicable on an assembly line.

Again, I view/use my Spydercos as part of my personal protection carry gear, such as my firearm - and as such, I am always seeking the highest performing gear that I can have ... and would not mind spending a little $$ extra to have the smoothest operating Spyderco possible.

I know, many Forum members do not need nor want to spend extra $ on a knife if it is merely going to be used to cut open boxes, etc., but some of us, desire a higher level for our Spydercos.

I guess its like car tires ... some want the very best because their lives may depend on them ... and some will buy the least expensive tires they can find....

Again, my suggestions are to let Spyderco know that there are some of us out here who would want such a service .. it is not meant to be negative, threatening, a political statement, put down etc.

If you have a different opinion that is fine ... but no need to be rude if you disagree with my thoughts ...

NASA50
Sharp Guy

Re: Spyderco "Custom Shop " ?

Post by Sharp Guy »

This idea seems to get tossed around every few months

search.php?keywords=Custom+Shop&terms=a ... mit=Search
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
PStone

Post by PStone »

I think the “custom shop” title may be misleading to some, but I understand and like the idea. Maybe performance shop? Or upgrade shop?

Either way I would like to see it and would definitely utilize such a service. I know Golden offers sharpening already, but a full on spa service would be nice too. With some upgrade options available like you said. Polishing blade, tuning, new hardware, etc.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I like the idea too but I think there are some constraints at this time to be considered at Spyderco. It would have to be a hard look and format along with space to accommodate a specialized department. I trust Spyderco would would have everything in place for this type of option before it is ever offered . Another thing to consider would be models that this service be offered it probably would not be across the board . One other area to consider how it may effect exclusives. Just some random thoughts , I could be totally wrong . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Please do not take this the wrong way but this topic gets brought up frequently and almost always has the same results. Although the idea you have presented does seem to be different than the past requests for a custom shop.

You are asking about a “high performance” custom shop, correct? Or am I interpreting it wrong?

In the past few years Spyderco has worked with many retailers to offer a large number of exclusive variations of different knives. Retailers were allowed to commission a run of 600+ knives in their own unique variations. It was kind of a form of custom shop, just on a different scale. The manufacturing of so many exclusives ended up clogging production and Spyderco had to put a pause on allowing retailers to order exclusives, so they could catch back up with their regular production. Pretty much, my point is, they’ve been very busy making knives!

At this time, I do not think Spyderco has the capacity for any kind of “custom” shop. From the sounds of things though, Spyderco is planning to expand their Golden manufacturing facility and maybe after that they could really look into taking the idea further.
- Nick :bug-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah this one has been beaten to death. You might have better luck getting rid of the Chinese models.

Although I thought I just saw someone post something about Eric mentioning it just recently? Who knows, someday it may happen but a quick search will show you probably 100 or more threads about this topic.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I think anyone is capable of "high performance" on their own. Just takes some time, practice and attention to detail. I've given a bunch of my knives new scales, changed the grind/bevels, polished washers, etc.

I find it a lot more fun, and rewarding doing things like this on my own instead of paying money for someone else to do it.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Search is your friend: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=88983
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Matus

Post by Matus »

I guess you mean something along the lines of what Benchmade does. But I guess this does not fit the business model of Spderco as they have directed their 'custom capacities' towards the sprints and exclusives. It is not better or worse in my view, just a different approach.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Hi NASA50

Welcome to the Forum!

I suspect Spyderco have a finely tuned business model by now, with both sell-out sprints and exclusives, and the more budget conscious work knives, helping to support all those exotic and esoteric collaborations and niche models we all love. I suspect there would have to be a really compelling reason for them to divert from this.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

It seems like there's plenty of customizers out there to cover the need. The thought is appealing but I'd think Sal or Eric would have moved on it if the business would be there.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I'm so new to the forum that I hadn't seen any prior threads, and thus thought this was a good idea. Services that Spyderco customers might use, even though most are readily do-able DIY:
-- Blade re-profiling, e.g. putting a more acute tip on a Pac Salt or Endura
-- Reduced edge bevel angles
-- Higher/thinner hollow grinds
-- High-polish blades
-- Stone wash and acid wash blades
-- Polish/tuneup action
-- Replace scales and clips
-- Spa treatment
-- Replace boxes and paperwork
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

A lot of that is time-consuming handwork that would have to be handled by their most experienced workers, mostly the prototyper and the warranty and repair guy. After all, no one wants their custom work done by the new day labor guy who was frying burgers last week. If those two highly skilled and experience gentlemen are busy doing custom work, what's going to happen to warranty turn around time and new model developement? I doubt even "Indeed" has a bunch of suitable resume`s waiting for those jobs.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

yablanowitz wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:38 pm
A lot of that is time-consuming handwork that would have to be handled by their most experienced workers, mostly the prototyper and the warranty and repair guy. After all, no one wants their custom work done by the new day labor guy who was frying burgers last week. If those two highly skilled and experience gentlemen are busy doing custom work, what's going to happen to warranty turn around time and new model developement? I doubt even "Indeed" has a bunch of suitable resume`s waiting for those jobs.
Some of it is that type of work for sure, which is why a customer would pay for it rather than doing it themselves. Some of it I just did on one of my own beaters, with no training at all, in a couple of hours, so I know it's not skilled craftsmanship. I see a lot of forum members who build knives or mod them extensively, so a Custom Shop would definitely not be for them. I'm sure not claiming it would be profitable or break-even, I'm just saying that these are services users might be willing to pay for.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

NASA50 wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:05 am
Has Spyderco ever had or considered having a "Custom Shop" ?
It would be cool. Probably wouldn't be profitable for them, but who knows? There are some guys that do custom work that could probably do that sort of thing if Spyderco doesn't.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

It seems like there's plenty of customizers out there to cover the need. The thought is appealing but I'd think Sal or Eric would have moved on it if the business would be there.
This is it exactly. It has been every time it has been brought up which has got to be 8 or 10 times at least over the last decade. We will surely see it a bunch of times in the future too. There is no real end of people who want Spyderco to make their perfect knife. Heck, I still want a Cruwear Endura. :smlling-eyes
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

The Mastiff wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:27 pm
This is it exactly. It has been every time it has been brought up which has got to be 8 or 10 times at least over the last decade. We will surely see it a bunch of times in the future too. There is no real end of people who want Spyderco to make their perfect knife. Heck, I still want a Cruwear Endura. :smlling-eyes
Yes and Yes. DLT are you out there?
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Here's an alternative thought. What if Spyderco were to offer some sort of repair certification. People who wanted to run such a business could go to Spyderco and learn the proper technique and tools to take apart and put together a knife as well as the factory. They could order parts from Spyderco as available, and do customization and repair.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
NASA50

Post by NASA50 »

And just to clarify, Yes, a "performance shop" is a better description of the type of services that I would be willing to pay extra for ... namely, polishing and fine tuning the opening action and lock for its optimum smoothness / performance. The ideal fit and finish not really obtainable on a standard assembly line.

And if it's true, what many have said, that this is a regular reoccurring topic ... maybe that speaks for itself ...

I am not trying to tell anyone how to run their business, only a note dropped in the Spyderco "suggestion box" ...

NASA50
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

NASA50 wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:25 pm
And just to clarify, Yes, a "performance shop" is a better description of the type of services that I would be willing to pay extra for ... namely, polishing and fine tuning the opening action and lock for its optimum smoothness / performance. The ideal fit and finish not really obtainable on a standard assembly line.

And if it's true, what many have said, that this is a regular reoccurring topic ... maybe that speaks for itself ...

I am not trying to tell anyone how to run their business, only a note dropped in the Spyderco "suggestion box" ...

NASA50

The next question that follows is cost. Look at all the recent complaints about current prices and imagine what this extra cost would end up being. Then there will be complaints about how much this polishing/modifying service should cost...it's just a massive recipe for headaches and I don't blame them for staying out of it. I could do any of this and charge people but absolutely not interested, people are too difficult to work with and far too entitled these days.

The reality is, there are people out there who will customize your knife for you and probably won't cost you any more than Spyderco would have to charge you just to not lose money on their end. It's the same reason they don't bother making deep carry clips, there's a slew of people already doing it and Sal has even said he doesn't want to hurt their business. Or, if you just want a polished pivot you can go buy some sandpaper and do it yourself and earn the satisfaction of making it your own. Order some custom scales and a clip, acid etch and stonewash a blade. All very realistic DIY projects.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David