Appeal to bring back the stunning Titanium UK Pocket Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RadioactiveSpyder

Re: Appeal to bring back the stunning Titanium UK Pocket Knife

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Here’s another pic. You could say I’m a big fan of this model! The center one is Koa.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:19 pm
for my money, the Carbon Fiber version is way more stunning.
I agree. I have a Ti now, after many years of searching and just missing out. I would say it is quite a bit heavier than I though it would be, but I am used to the G10 or FRNs.
David
Always outnumbered; never outgunned.

Proud member of Sal's Troublemaker Class since July 2020
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:29 pm
Here’s another pic. You could say I’m a big fan of this model!
You and I both. I see two there I am missing. The CF and the Rescue.

I would love both of those, but I don't think I have ever seen them in the wild. I have been stalking eBay, and they just never show up.
David

RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Superfool wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:08 pm
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:29 pm
Here’s another pic. You could say I’m a big fan of this model!
You and I both. I see two there I am missing. The CF and the Rescue.

I would love both of those, but I don't think I have ever seen them in the wild. I have been stalking eBay, and they just never show up.
EDIT: Oops, I should read more closely! Carry on! Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Jefke

Post by Jefke »

I'm thinking about buying a UKPK this year, S110V or the salt, but I didn't know a titanium version existed.
Now that I see these pictures I really want one! I love the feeling of titanium handles (one of the reasons I love the mantra).

As for steel choice, I think Spyderco should release UKPK as the next Magnacut model so that people with more restrictive knife laws can also enjoy this new steel. I think Mangacut and titanium would be a great combo.
Other steels I would welcome are REX45 or K390.
yablanowitz wrote:
This thread needs more pix. But for my money, the Carbon Fiber version is way more stunning.

wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

yablanowitz wrote:
But for my money, the Carbon Fiber version is way more stunning.
I am stunned. Had I joined this forum a year earlier and known then what I know now, I would have this one.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

So, (for those unaware) I have been pushing for a Damasteel UKPK since July 2020. I asked initially for damascus steel, not really knowing the difference.

It was this thread that first brought me here, because I wanted a Ti UKPK. I registered, and commented, and read. Then I kicked off with this DAMAUPKP nonsense.

Well, we did discussions, polls, more polls and arribed at a damasteel pattern, ivory g10 and leaf blade. Sadly, world events exacerbated queueing times on an already flat-out Golden, and it ended up being an $280 Urban for Italy. While I feel disappointed, I have been assured that the ukpk should be to follow, although if somehow the Urban doesn't fly off then this may well tank the DAMAUKPK project.

I have plans to get back on my bullsh1t later this year, as I have ideas for the ukpk that I think may well be well received.

I will start a tester thread soon, to get an idea of what people want.

Currently, i have a few things going round in my head.
  • Spy27 and Blurple G10

Rescue ?steel with yellow+green G10 as per uk ambance service (I am a Paramedic)

Magnacut / M390 with British Racing Green G10
As I said, it was the TiUKPK that brought me here so that should be in the mix.

I welcome all constructive thoughts, guidance and opinions.
David

Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Superfool wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:24 pm
So, (for those unaware) I have been pushing for a Damasteel UKPK since July 2020. I asked initially for damascus steel, not really knowing the difference.

It was this thread that first brought me here, because I wanted a Ti UKPK. I registered, and commented, and read. Then I kicked off with this DAMAUPKP nonsense.

Well, we did discussions, polls, more polls and arribed at a damasteel pattern, ivory g10 and leaf blade. Sadly, world events exacerbated queueing times on an already flat-out Golden, and it ended up being an $280 Urban for Italy. While I feel disappointed, I have been assured that the ukpk should be to follow, although if somehow the Urban doesn't fly off then this may well tank the DAMAUKPK project.

I have plans to get back on my bullsh1t later this year, as I have ideas for the ukpk that I think may well be well received.

I will start a tester thread soon, to get an idea of what people want.

Currently, i have a few things going round in my head.
  • Spy27 and Blurple G10

Rescue ?steel with yellow+green G10 as per uk ambance service (I am a Paramedic)

Magnacut / M390 with British Racing Green G10
As I said, it was the TiUKPK that brought me here so that should be in the mix.

I welcome all constructive thoughts, guidance and opinions.

280$ in US sold at a promotional 400EUR in EU for an EU made EU steel Urban.

After years of prices only going up don't think Titanium UKPK would be possible, even G10 is getting too expensive hence lightcheapweigths.

SPY27 except that Colorado PM2 don't think there are any other G10 models.

I would be happy with a Gray G10 S30V drop point blade like this one below if they manage to make it under 300-400-500EUR

https://youtu.be/rP-NkQsx4Uk
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

Gsg9 wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:33 am
I would be happy with a Gray G10 S30V drop point blade like this one below if they manage to make it under 300-400-500EUR

https://youtu.be/rP-NkQsx4Uk
Heinnie sold the HH UKPK S30v in burgundy G10 about 3-6 months ago for £80, so about €90ish.

I would like to think the shipping / oil issues that the pandemic brought, will mellow in the coming year, which should bring prices back to something more palatable.

I would like to avoid making a €500 safe-queen knife, and I am sure most people including Sal would feel the same.
David

Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Superfool wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:21 am
Heinnie sold the HH UKPK S30v in burgundy G10 about 3-6 months ago for £80, so about €90ish.

I would like to think the shipping / oil issues that the pandemic brought, will mellow in the coming year, which should bring prices back to something more palatable.

I would like to avoid making a €500 safe-queen knife, and I am sure most people including Sal would feel the same.

I have the HH UKPK, that is leaf shaped,
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=78437&start=100#p1318199

I would like to see a drop point in G10 preferably not HH Red exclusive, with a decent steel like S30V and with a decent price.

So not something super exotic 400EUR, as I'm looking in wonder at the Spyderco pricing I am rewiring my brain to aim low regarding my expectations :grimace

Don't see a deflation happening and with Spyderco prices only going up everything that's coming in an year or two will be even more expensive.
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

Gsg9 wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:11 am
I would like to see a drop point in G10 preferably not HH Red exclusive, with a decent steel like S30V and with a decent price.
Ah yes; the drop-point crew.
I see what you are saying now.
Apart from the video you posted, I have never seen a variant to FRN in DP.
Gsg9 wrote:
So not something super exotic 400EUR, as I'm looking in wonder at the Spyderco pricing I am rewiring my brain to aim low regarding my expectations :grimace

Maybe I am naïve, or just a bit unrealistic, about the state of the shipping and oil, but I was under the impression that the Damasteel and the QC in Italy was the associated-cost issue with the Urban.
Gsg9 wrote:
Don't see a deflation happening and with Spyderco prices only going up everything that's coming in an year or two will be even more expensive.
Fingers crossed that things improve.

I don't know if Sal will have any light he may wish to shed.
David

kefefs

Post by kefefs »

Well since the Ti UKPK is so hard to get I threw my own together! Ordered a set of VaporPuffin scales for my three-pin BD1N model, then while those were being made, got my hands on a four-pin Heinnie Haynes exclusive. So when the scales came in I Frankenstein'd the standard model spring with the HH blade and VP scales. Voila! My creation!

Superfool

Post by Superfool »

VP is experimenting with back spacer extensions, FYI.
David

JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

kefefs wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:00 pm
Well since the Ti UKPK is so hard to get I threw my own together! Ordered a set of VaporPuffin scales for my three-pin BD1N model, then while those were being made, got my hands on a four-pin Heinnie Haynes exclusive. So when the scales came in I Frankenstein'd the standard model spring with the HH blade and VP scales. Voila! My creation!

Wow, that is spectacular.

Welcome aboard!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
cjk

Post by cjk »

kefefs wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:00 pm

Wow Kefefs, that's quite handsome! Do you recall what surface finish and edge profile you ordered on those?
cjk

Post by cjk »

Superfool wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:30 am
VP is experimenting with back spacer extensions, FYI.
There's a person on instagram with the handle schiller_custom_parts who sells interesting UKPK brass scales which have the option for a backspacer with or without a lanyard hole and a reduction to only 2 visible screws. I'm pretty impressed.
Last edited by cjk on Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cjk

Post by cjk »

I'm in the US and I think I would be in on a titanium UKPK re-release. I'm really flexible on the steel, though I generally favor "easier to get shaving sharp" over "forever edge holding".

I like the idea of using LC200n or Magnacut and coated hardware. It'd be like a Spydiechef sibling.

Alternatively, I would dig CPM-SPY27 or even CPM-S45VN or CTS-XHP.