Slysz Bowie ergonomic ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Xformer

Slysz Bowie ergonomic ?

Post by Xformer »

For the lucky ones who owns and uses the Slysz Bowie, how ergonomic is the knife ? What would you do to improve it ?

(Any kind soul would give one to me XD?)
Xplorer

Re: Slysz Bowie ergonomic ?

Post by Xplorer »

It's one of my all-time favorite Spyderco knives. I love the attention to detail. I enjoy the rounded handle, the blade finish, the rounded spine, the beautifully solid lock-up sound it makes, and the comfortable way it rides low in my pocket.

I'm hesitant to nit-pick a great design. I will say the ergonomics are good but not perfect for me personally. If I had a choice I would want another 1/4" in the bottom edge of the handle. If the rounded contour at front end of the underside of the handle were just a little closer to the blade it would fit my hand perfectly. It's not much, and not enough to keep me from enjoying the knife..just a nit-pick.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
archangel

Post by archangel »

If you're a sucker for titanium, like me, you will be in love. ;)

For those who nit-pick: It's missing an overtravel stopper. So if you're really clumsy/stupid, you could do harm to the lockbar. Not that I've heard of anyone who managed to accomplish this....
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Sometimes I think that Marcin Slysz deliberately designs his knives to not be perfect ergonomically speaking. I'm sure there is a more elegant way of saying that which would sound less like a complaint, which it is not. I love his designs, the look, feel, the whole package, but they are never my most comfortable to use. Much like Reeve's designs.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:41 pm
Sometimes I think that Marcin Slysz deliberately designs his knives to not be perfect ergonomically speaking. I'm sure there is a more elegant way of saying that which would sound less like a complaint, which it is not. I love his designs, the look, feel, the whole package, but they are never my most comfortable to use. Much like Reeve's designs.
I find the Chef to be surprisingly ergonomic, but have no experience with the other designs.
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Count me among those who is NOT in love with the Slysz Bowie. I use all of my knives so if a given model has an ergonomic wart it goes on the chopping block. The SB has such a wart and is this:
The scales where your pinkie finger wraps around are too thin and sharp and cut into your hand during hard cuts.
This does not happen with a Sebenza.
If all you want it for is a a safe queen and you're willing to pay thru the nose then knock yourself out but if you want an elegant frame lock to actually cut things with then look elsewhere!
That being said, it has a great blade (let down my an uncomfortable handle).
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I find it very comfortable and ergonomic.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Mike G

Post by Mike G »

The backspacer could be better. Not a fan of its jimping
vivi

Post by vivi »

I found it too small. I handled the bowie and K2 at new graham on a trip, and was much more pleased with the K2's handle.
:unicorn
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

vivi wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:39 pm
I found it too small. I handled the bowie and K2 at new graham on a trip, and was much more pleased with the K2's handle.
“K2, K3, whatever it takes.” 🙂
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

The handle definitely has some hot spots, but there's a lot worse. it's nowhere near as good as the shaman.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I think the easiest way to answer is to ask yourself a simple question. If you were to design a custom chin up bar, dip bar, curl bar, straight bench press bar or the like, would you use the Slysz Bowie’s or any other “ergonomic” folding knife’s handle/scales for the grips?
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I actually created a thread before comparing the SB to some CRK's. I believe others also chimed in with photos and thoughts as they have/had both as well. I certainly did not find ergo's to be a strength for the SB. The knife in general, too me...is a product of hype. Certainly a nice knife, but not what Mr Hype (Shabazz) made it out to be a few years ago.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89606&hilit=random+guys+assessment
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
archangel

Post by archangel »

vivi wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:39 pm

K2 scales are flat, while the Slysz Bowie's are slightly rounded. Everybody has its own preference which is nicer. If you have bigger hands, K2 might be more comfortable. I prefer the SB.

Fascinating how these two look alike (at least when closed, and apart from the size), yet they have been designed by different guys.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
FX sniper

Post by FX sniper »

improvements:
* countour the 90 degree and sharp edges
* redesign the placement of the pocket clip screw / last scale screw. Maybe combine them into one
* make the lockbar cutout on the inside of the scale
* pocket clip pinches and snags at the lockbar cutout

very nice knife, maybe one of the best Spydies, but not a Sebenza killer. Should be below $300. Please make it again.