Bad quality control

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
clizmurillo@gmail.com

Bad quality control

Post by clizmurillo@gmail.com »

After purchasing a mule team magna cut and waiting for the restock of sheath/scales, I can say you all really screwed up on this product. The blade was untouched and after placing the magna cut in the sheath, it scratched the blade. I've invested over $200 and time to this project only to be let down by the quality control of sheath and scales. I have included pictures in this email and hope that Glesser reads this as he would agree on hard earned cash and time was wasted and irreplaceable. 
sal

Re: Bad quality control

Post by sal »

Hi Clizmurillo,

Welcome to our forum. Sorry for your frustration.

How about you send the knife and sheath to me and tell me how much you spent and we'll send you a check?

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mail it to me I'll refund your money.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
clizmurillo@gmail.com

sal wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:55 am
Hi Clizmurillo,

Welcome to our forum. Sorry for your frustration.

How about you send the knife and sheath to me and tell me how much you spent and we'll send you a check?

sal

Please advise where I need to mail and to whom it should be addressed? Thank you
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

So...You bought a kydex sheath for a blade that was going to be a safe queen? Kydex has a long history of scratching blades from all makers, but it doesn't matter if you are going to use the blades since they will get scratched in use.

You should easily be able to double your money selling the mule on Ebay or elsewhere, even with the scratches. Clearly, the whole mule team project and concept is not for you.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:39 am
Mail it to me I'll refund your money.
Think he might get a few emails wanting to take it off his hands, as his email address is not that hard to find :shush :shush
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
clizmurillo@gmail.com

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:19 am
So...You bought a kydex sheath for a blade that was going to be a safe queen? Kydex has a long history of scratching blades from all makers, but it doesn't matter if you are going to use the blades since they will get scratched in use.

You should easily be able to double your money selling the mule on Ebay or elsewhere, even with the scratches. Clearly, the whole mule team project and concept is not for you.
It's wasn't going to be a safe queen. It's was going to be used for cutting every day things not for batoning or prying. It just sucks that it was scratched by a new sheath. I have microtechs and benchmade with kydex sheaths and they did not scratch as this did.
sal

Post by sal »

Sorry for your frustration. Please purchase your future Mule Teams from Microtech and Benchmade.

Send it to:

Spyderco
Attn: Sal Glesser
820 Spydero way
Golden. Colorado 80403

sal
archangel

Post by archangel »

Hit and sunk..... :D
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Two questions: The Mule Team sheath is Kydex? And second, I've long wondered how a plastic sheath can scratch a steel blade. I'm not denying that it happens, just wondering how.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

^ Kydex is often used as a "catch-all" term for thermoplastic sheath materials. I believe they're are technically Boltaron, but Boltaron, Holstex and Kydex are basically three companies selling the same sort of product with relatively minor differences.

Scratches from sheaths are generally caused by grit stuck in the sheath. Sandpaper/grinding belt grit has a frustrating tendency to embed itself in soft thermoplastic sheaths.

This has happened to me on sheaths I've made more times than I care to remember. Despite cleaning and examining sheaths up to the last second before inserting the un-protected blade I have still had grit cause me to have to repair hand rubbed finishes that I spent the previous 2 days working on. It's frustrating, but sometimes it happens even though multiple steps are taken to keep it from happening.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
burlyspyder

Post by burlyspyder »

Happy to buy that from you Sal! Even if it's really badly scratched.

-burly
:bug-red: H1, M4, 4v, 10v, Hap40, s90v, s110v, BD1n, Maxamet, Magnacut
MT; Z-max, Z-wear, Magnacut, SRS13, Rex76, M398, T15, K294, ZDP-189, HIC, AEB-L, SPY27, 15v
Other: D2, White#1, Blue#2, SuperBlue, VG-10, 204P, 20cv, s30v, s35vn, s45vn, s90v, HIC, TC71
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Hey Clizmurillo,

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear you frustrations as well. In a way the forum has been through this with the blade centering topic in the main discussion page. Finding that mid point in opinion is apparently as challenging as mid point in a sheath, or a folding blade. It really is too bad that your recent Mule Team combo does not meet your expectations.

It is nice that Sal has personally offered to refund your purchase if it does not meet your standard. Not many companies like that. If you prefer to ship to Canada I would be happy to buy it. I have been trying to learn and recently adjusted my Bolteron at home to meet my expectations. I would enjoy a try at fixing yours.

However, I'll bet if you look at how cleanly it cuts, and focus on how it feels in the hand while the Magnacut munches material, then you won't even notice the scratch. Or, send it to me and I promise to chop a nail with it.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, Catcherman, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
Rymanz

Post by Rymanz »

Golly jeepers, that poor knife is worthless now!
:bug-red
Models: PM2, Endura 4, Chaparral, Para 3 LW, Rescue 3, Para 3, Shaman, Manix 2, Native 5
Steels: Elmax, S30V, XHP, 4V, VG-10, CPM CRU-WEAR, K390, Z-WEAR, S45VN, 204P, REX 45
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

clizmurillo@gmail.com wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:12 pm
After purchasing a mule team magna cut and waiting for the restock of sheath/scales, I can say you all really screwed up on this product. The blade was untouched and after placing the magna cut in the sheath, it scratched the blade. I've invested over $200 and time to this project only to be let down by the quality control of sheath and scales. I have included pictures in this email and hope that Glesser reads this as he would agree on hard earned cash and time was wasted and irreplaceable. 
Sometimes stuff just happens, fella.

How we deal with it, ultimately is a reflection of who and what we are.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
FullScaler

Post by FullScaler »

Yupp, I'll take it off your hands too. And I promise, you won't even see that scratch after I've had my way with it. Lol.
Every day in my pockets, Wallet, Keys, Phone, Light, and Knife.

Https://BladeProtection.com
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

User error on my part made scratches happen.
I had scratched a knife on kydex only because I did not clean it first. Abrasive dirt in the sheath got between the knife and after it was clean, the problem went away.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Too bad the whole knife is now ruined. Send it to me and I will gladly dispose of it for you.

FYI - leather sheaths can cause some slight rust on some steels.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Fireman wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:09 pm
User error on my part made scratches happen.
I had scratched a knife on kydex only because I did not clean it first. Abrasive dirt in the sheath got between the knife and after it was clean, the problem went away.
This is a common occurrence and something most all of us that sheath knives are bound to experience.

It’s also particularly true of “plastic” coated rifle cleanly rods. It’s very easy for a little grit to embed itself into the plastic, vinyl or whatever they use to coat cleaning rods and in turn leave scratches in the bore. As clean rods go you’re way better off with plain old brass.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
hereiamu1

Post by hereiamu1 »

This is why I got 2 Mule Team MagnaCuts. If one gets scratched up or dull I have a backup.

Off topic, I was wondering if grind the blade tip flat to use as a screwdriver does that void the warranty? :zany

Joking aside, a little work with a wire brush, back and forth the same direction as the grind and it would probably do away with most of the scratch if not all of it.