Pricing

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kobold

Re: Pricing

Post by kobold »

Inflation is hidden taxation.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

kobold wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:28 am
I think in three to four years from now a $1000 MSRP Spyderco will be a reality. Thanks to the central planners, maybe sooner.

Sooner. Paysan’s current MSRP is $920.00.

Last year I bought more Spyderco knives than usual (more in one year than the prior 4 years) because I knew the prices would be getting too intolerable to bear.

My Endura VG-10 Black FRN from November 2006 was just $43 (now $96) and my Chaparral S30V CF/G-10 from October 2015 was just $98 (now $161). MAP started in January 2016 and went lower (lesser discount from MSRP) in January 2018 and January 2020. MAP helps dealers only. On top of all that we have annual MSRP increases with whopping ones this year.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:58 pm
The skyrocketing prices will be near CRK prices before you know it, then CRK's will be considered a bargain
There’s been a lot of discussion over on BF about impending CRK price increases, above the recent $50 price hike for their polished handles option. It would be pretty naive to think CRK prices will hold at the current level — prices for knife materials have gone up across the board and they’re certainly no more immune to current inflationary pressures than is Spyderco.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Us old guys that have been around here 10-15 years lived through a period of good value and amazing innovation. As a result a lot of us probably find ourselves with more knives than we'll ever need. I've even got a few Brand X knives that I feel were a bit overpriced and overhyped. Not that they're bad knives mind you.

I find lately that my desire to collect or acquire more knives is getting a lot more fussy about what's worthwhile to me. I'm liking ergonomics and reasonable value.

With prices going up, I'm more focused on picking up other things: appliances, tools, audio, video, computer, before inflation REALLY takes off.
kobold

Post by kobold »

RamZar wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:49 am
kobold wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:28 am
I think in three to four years from now a $1000 MSRP Spyderco will be a reality. Thanks to the central planners, maybe sooner.

Sooner. Paysan’s current MSRP is $920.00.

Last year I bought more Spyderco knives than usual (more in one year than the prior 4 years) because I knew the prices would be getting too intolerable to bear.

My Endura VG-10 Black FRN from November 2006 was just $43 (now $96) and my Chaparral S30V CF/G-10 from October 2015 was just $98 (now $161). MAP started in January 2016 and went lower (lesser discount from MSRP) in January 2018 and January 2020. MAP helps dealers only. On top of all that we have annual MSRP increases with whopping ones this year.

Hm, I keep forgetting about higher end pricey models, they might as well exist in another dimension already.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Buck is larger, Spyderco is smaller and tormented, not to mention was sick and bullied in childhood and father left with another woman...

People bring arguments that everything goes up in price, that's correct, this is happening now due to pandemic, supply chain issues, inflation, governments printing trillions of trillions up to unseen debts.

But they seem to forget that Spyderco was years ahead of the pack with price increases before all of these happening, MAP was added and I think MAP went up 20% in the last few years just to keep the dealers happy.

What's added now is just the cherry on top of that.

I suppose Spyderco are aiming high for luxury market now and if you are questioning prices then you're already not anymore in their intended customer base.

Aiming for exclusivity because that's mostly exclusives what they've been doing.

And they are enjoying their bubble.

Original poster mentioned Buck offers deep carry clip as standard, this is a taboo for Spyderco, instead of offering one for their clients they give them option of spending extra $ on a deep carry clip because they don't wan't to compete with these smaller shops, some old chivalry codes that will probably go with the older generation.

Who's preaching to get used to higher prices will be the norm, we'll see how this goes when businesses will start collapsing if people will reduce or stop buying or look for cheaper alternatives even if that means lower quality .

And chinese will win again.

I think there will be a problem when they'll try selling a standard PM2 for 200+, for most people in here 200 looks to be threshold where they stop buying and start questioning.

In Europe is much worse, for example a 280$ Urban made in EU with EU labor and EU steel is sold in EU for equivalent of 460$, just BECAUSE.

And a standard PM2 went from 179 to 194 notice they stopped right under the magic number 200.

In the end it is what it is...

Meanwhile some dealers seem to start struggling over here, this is what these guys were saying a couple of days ago.

attila

Post by attila »

Translation please
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Matus

Post by Matus »

attila wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:39 am
Translation please
Most likely Corona-related ...
tmp.JPG
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The fact that this subject comes up over and over and gets so much attention is proof all is not well in Spydieville.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

Look at it this way.
Your unused knives have increased in value between 5 to 18% in a few short months. Even used your knives have increased in value.
That Swayback I bought on sale for $190 from Knife Joker on 11/27 is now worth $314.
Spydercos are a way to hedge against inflation just like real fungible metals. :winking-tongue
Last edited by Superflex on Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Naperville wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:21 am
It is a fact that everything for the last 250 years goods have gone up in price and will continue to do so.
That's actually not true. The United States had net deflation in the period 1800-1900 (graphs here: https://www.officialdata.org/us/inflation/1800?amount=1). Prices in 1900 were approximately 2/3 the price (of similar goods) in 1800. "Inflation is just a fact of life" is a 20th century monetary phenomenon, which started with the creation of the current monetary system in 1914, and accelerated dramatically in 1973 (when the world eliminated the last vestiges of metallic standards).
Standeford

Post by Standeford »

shunsui wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:44 am
Us old guys that have been around here 10-15 years lived through a period of good value and amazing innovation.
I joined another big knife web site in 2002, so while I don't particularly feel like an old guy I guess I am. I completely agree that we've been through some wonderful advancements in design and quality and steel and consistency and all that.

Pricing has followed that up as customers have demonstrated their willingness to spend more to get more. When I first got into this I remember thinking of a Chris Reeve Sebenza as an absurd splurge price-wise but working one in a knife store amazed me with its solid precise mechanism. I have several production scale knives that are that good or better, with prices that range from a bit less to a good bit more than those Sebs back then.

So yeah prices have gone up but so has everything else. Here in the last couple of years prices have definitely increased more than usual, but if you look at the M1 money stock graph since the 60s that is kind of unavoidable.

Value is really an individual decision. If knife A seems a better value than knife B, buy knife A and don't look back. If enough people disagree then something will have to give for knife B.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

JRinFL wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:47 am
The fact that this subject comes up over and over and gets so much attention is proof all is not well in Spydieville.
The company seems to be doing well. Their customers, meanwhile, have taken to regular histrionic outbursts over the years. Wasn't always like this.
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

*EDITED - TazKristi*
Spyder-fan

Post by Spyder-fan »

Superflex wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:53 am
Look at it this way.
Your unused knives have increased in value between 5 to 18% in a few short months. Even used your knives have increased in value.
That Swayback I bought on sale for $190 from Knife Joker on 11/27 is now worth $314.
Yes, theoretically used knife values should increase when the original new price increases, but I haven't seen the secondary market adjust to the 2022 price increase yet. In fact I've seen a lot of new knives sell for less on the secondary market than what they cost at 2021 prices. The only ones I've seen go up are exclusives and sprint runs due to the limited availability.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

JRinFL wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:47 am
Well said ... :index-finger ... this is one of many yearly discussions about prices I notice during the last years.

I for myself am glad that I came into contact with Spyderco before there was this pricey era. To be honest, I can't and don't want to afford the new pricemodell and many of "exlusive-designs" anymore. The spirit of Spyderco that used to attract me (about 20 years ago) no longer exists. A new spirit is in the game and new gamers will play.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:07 am
Naperville wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:21 am
It is a fact that everything for the last 250 years goods have gone up in price and will continue to do so.
That's actually not true. The United States had net deflation in the period 1800-1900 (graphs here: https://www.officialdata.org/us/inflation/1800?amount=1). Prices in 1900 were approximately 2/3 the price (of similar goods) in 1800. "Inflation is just a fact of life" is a 20th century monetary phenomenon, which started with the creation of the current monetary system in 1914, and accelerated dramatically in 1973 (when the world eliminated the last vestiges of metallic standards).
Doh! I knew that I was off, but did not do the research. OK, reworded...

It is a fact that everything for the last 150 years(since 1914) goods have gone up in price and will continue to do so. There are periods of deflation and the governments around the world are trying to avoid them by having a minimum of 2% inflation per year. It is a balancing act.

I am no banker or economist. As long as anyone that I have ever known has been alive, prices have increased. I am on social security who has to save for every single knife. I have a really tight budget. Nonetheless, I do not have any negative feelings toward knife makers who have to raise their prices as prices for goods and manpower to them increase.

Right now I'm thinking about saving for a knife priced at $850. Will I end up getting it? Maybe. It will take me 5 months to get it if I want it.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
James Y

Post by James Y »

I do NOT blame Spyderco for the yearly dramatic price increases. And I’m not bitter or complaining about it. I’m certain that if given a choice, Spyderco would raise their yearly price increases only a little or not at all, but that’s not the way things work in the world. I’m not an economist, but I’m also certain that if income increases started matching inflation rates, then inflation rates would jump even more significantly, so the people at the top who control the supply chain can “stay ahead of everyone else.” If the percentage of everyone’s income increased equally with inflation, there probably wouldn’t be any point to inflating prices. I may or may not be right, but that’s how it looks from my not-so-lofty position.

Jim
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Well, I certainly hope that Spyderco employees are getting more frequent CoL raises when prices go up. I know my salary is not keeping pace with Spyderco’s price increases. That’s not a complaint, that just reality.

To paraphrase Peter1960, it’s a new game with new players.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

We vote with our currency.

There is such a thing as brand loyalty and Spyderco certainly has earned their share of this and I'm sure they will sell a bunch of knives this year. Watu, Spyopera, and the classic green CTS-204P PM2 are in my pocket on a regular basis.

As for price points, in our one sided, US disadvantaged markets, for around $200 you can get a very well made titanium frame lock flipper with CPM20 steel in all sorts of blade styles. For $150 SV35. For under $100 a G10 liner lock 9cr18mov. For $50 a D2 liner lock with G10 scales that you can beat the heck out of on a job site.

We've never had so many good choices.