Handle foreward Native 5

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
olywa

Re: Handle foreward Native 5

Post by olywa »

You know... if you just keep dropping the Spydie hole down until half of it drops off the edge you'd have a pretty decent finger choil.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:01 pm
Ok so I smoothed out the handle to match the N5 more.
Now we're talkin'.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

A thing I've been doing with my Para 3's, Shaman's and linerless Native 5's is rounding off the point of the finger choil in the G10 or CF scales. For my hands anyway, I find the natural grip is where my middle finger lands in the cutout for spydiehole access and my index finger wants to land precisely on the point of the scale behind the choil. A lot of times it feels like this point forces my hand either too far forward or too far back. Rounding off this point opens up the grip and IMO improves the ergonomics.

With the P3 and Shaman, the point gets rounded to match the profile of the liner. I have a before and after pic of the shaman scale below to illustrate the (lack of) point. With the linerless Natives there is no liner to limit profile, just round it to what feels good. I may go back and flatten this one out a little more.

With Para 3 I was trying to mimic the handle profile of the Millie..

Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

That looks a lot like the choil on the Millie.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:55 am
That looks a lot like the choil on the Millie.
I was about to say the same.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I got inspired by Senorsquare. I have a Native that I have never liked. It just didn't fit my hand and was very uncomfortable. I don't know why I did not think about it, but seeing his mods on the Native made me decide to try it. Wow! What a difference shaving that point off to be more like the Military made. It is far more comfortable to hold and I can actually get my hand on the knife, which I couldn't do before.

This is still a work in progress. I have polish it up a bit.

Don't let anyone tell you that Golden FRN is soft or will break! I tried taking it down with a coarse stone. Nope, wasn't going to do it. So I ended up with a medium diamond stone and that is what it took to take it down. I will follow up with a fine diamond to give it a more factory look.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

It’s very tempting. I have a set of black G10 oem takeoffs on my BHQ Para3…

I figure if I’m going to try mods like that, I’ll make a template from a 1/8” sheet of lexan, screw it down to the knife sans blade, and use a piloted bit in a router table. This method has worked well for me on other projects! And it’s worked on a sheet of 6061 aluminum plate, so I expect it would work with micarta, G10 and FRN.