3.5" Canadian Pen Knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

3.5" Canadian Pen Knife?

Post by Doc Dan »

Is there any word on the 3.5" Canadian Pen Knife? I thought Sal had a prototype last year.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
prndltech

Re: 3.5" Canadian Pen Knife?

Post by prndltech »

I don't know what a Canadian pen knife is but id be up for a Canadian belt knife...
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

The original Canadian PK thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=79614
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Matus

Post by Matus »

Do you guys in Canada have limitations on locking blades?
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
ekastanis

Post by ekastanis »

Matus wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:02 am
Not at all, the only actual prohibition is "a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife". [CCC sec 84(1) prohibited weapon (a)]
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

ekastanis wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:53 am
Matus wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:02 am
Not at all, the only actual prohibition is "a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife". [CCC sec 84(1) prohibited weapon (a)]
Which is open to extreme interpretation to the point where any folding knife even if opened partway before being swung like a baseball bat can be deemed prohibited.
Thus, in recent years Canada Customs has started using only the most extreme interpretation and will confiscate virtually all modern folding knives.
What is or is not illegal is left entirely to the whim of the officer at any given moment, and the law is specifically written to create that uncertainty.
On a good day in a good town you can carry just about anything, on a bad day you could be given a prohibited weapons charge completely at random.
Danke

Post by Danke »

Just to be clear Canada Customs (CBSA) can't charge you with anything. That would be the RCMP. The CBSA can seize anything they consider prohibited and their definition skews a bit too far at times. Not all doom and gloom. All these were direct from Blade HQ. At lease half opened and no action taken other than to collect tax and fees.

That said I would totally be in for a "Canadian" Sypderco.
ekastanis

Post by ekastanis »

Joshua J. wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:06 am
Which is open to extreme interpretation to the point where any folding knife even if opened partway before being swung like a baseball bat can be deemed prohibited.

But has nothing to do with any locking mechanism.

Joshua J. wrote:
on a bad day you could be given a prohibited weapons charge completely at random.

Do you know of an example of this? The issues I'm aware of are only at the border where the CBSA has taken it upon themselves to create their own interpretation of the Criminal Code to restrict imports by individuals, but all they do is confiscate your legally-owned property. I'm not aware of any criminal case that has been brought because of this.
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

ekastanis wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:15 am
Joshua J. wrote:

But has nothing to do with any locking mechanism.

Joshua J. wrote:
on a bad day you could be given a prohibited weapons charge completely at random.

Do you know of an example of this? The issues I'm aware of are only at the border where the CBSA has taken it upon themselves to create their own interpretation of the Criminal Code to restrict imports by individuals, but all they do is confiscate your legally-owned property. I'm not aware of any criminal case that has been brought because of this.
My interpretation is based on what Sal reported from his legal adventures a few decades ago.
(The only version of the quote I could find was on the Jerzee forums.)
https://www.jerzeedevil.com/threads/fli ... da.163845/
We've been through this with Canada a number of times. We built a special machine to measure force to open. We had an audience with the Crown. It comes up every 6-10 years.

Our time with the Crown clearly demonstrated that they really didn't want a clear law. We had an attorney, sent numerous samples. Even when we made a sample so tight that no one could open it with a flick, they opened the blade half way using the hole and then flicked it.
The principle is the police want to be able to incriminate anyone carrying any folding knife as an accessory charge.
ekastanis

Post by ekastanis »

Joshua J. wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:44 am

In summary:
1) No restrictions on locking mechanisms in Canada (which is what Matus asked). No restrictions on blade lengths either except that you may need to prove it's not a weapon (see #4).
2) CBSA is an authoritarian agency who takes advantage of Canada's nebulous Criminal Code and sometimes harasses individuals trying to import folding knives.
3) Extremely rarely, if ever, does someone get charged under CCC sec 91(2) for simple possession of a non-automatic, non-centrifugal folding knife. Is there a single example of such a conviction?
4) Any knife, fixed or folder, or any other object at all, is illegal to carry concealed in Canada if its purpose is as a weapon [CCC sec 90(1)]
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

ekastanis wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:10 am
Joshua J. wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:44 am

In summary:
1) No restrictions on locking mechanisms in Canada (which is what Matus asked). No restrictions on blade lengths either except that you may need to prove it's not a weapon (see #4).
2) CBSA is an authoritarian agency who takes advantage of Canada's nebulous Criminal Code and sometimes harasses individuals trying to import folding knives.
3) Extremely rarely, if ever, does someone get charged under CCC sec 91(2) for simple possession of a non-automatic, non-centrifugal folding knife. Is there a single example of such a conviction?
4) Any knife, fixed or folder, or any other object at all, is illegal to carry concealed in Canada if its purpose is as a weapon [CCC sec 90(1)]

The closing bias of the Slipjoint makes it the least flickable knife by a wide margin, anywhere that laws are concerned with centrifugal force you will practically only be allowed to carry a Slipjoint.
It would be interesting to see a 4" Slipjoint, a "Texas Toothpick" for the north.
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

I read the subject line and though, "Dang, 2022. Who would want a 2 handed opening folder that deploys with a nail nick? Probably want it forged from an old sawmill blade too."
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, Catcherman, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Bump. Sal?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra