Would you buy a VG10 knife in 2022?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you buy a VG10 knife in 2022?

Yes
58%
No
17%
Maybe, if the design really caught my eye
25%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 174

JD Spydo

Re: Would you buy a VG10 knife in 2022?

Post by JD Spydo »

Vivi I've got an excellent example to give you. To this day my all time favorite fixed blade is my Spyderco TEMPERANCE 1 model which has a VG-10 blade and was available in both edge types ( PE & SE). It was one of the very few of Spyderco's fixed blades that you could get in both edge types.

Even with all the newer fixed blades that Spyderco has offered over the years I still find myself using my TEMP 1 models in both edge types for a wide range of cutting jobs. The fact that it has a VG-10 blade doesn't phase me at all because the blade design and the handle are just so perfect for me. It's as though that knife was custom made for my hand. And I've owned that knife since 2004.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

100 % YES.

- As others have said: VG10 is a perfect EDC knife steel, as long as one is not actually planning on cutting really abrasive stuff for hours without being able to touch up the knife

- For me VG10 is the "better LC200N": In my use totally rustproof too, and felt just on a gut level with a bit better edge retention and more "fun" to sharpen with my (limited) skills (takes a keener edge / "feels better" on the stones/rods). Also I don´t notice the significantly better toughness (according to Larrins charts) of LC so far.

- And, along the lines of what Matus said - and also specifically referring to the upcoming Stretch XL:

Don´t forget how good VG10 actually is in SE!!

Admittedly I have not tried serrations in a lot of different steels. But still, from my experience and from what I read, VG10 is a top steel for getting "teeth",
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

No, because it's mostly used on models that doesn't interest me and the edge retention isn't enough for me since I use a knife all day long, often roughly.

I'd say that VG10 has a somewhat really good "feel" when sharpening. It's smooth and always easy to know when the angle is good. Can't explain it better than that. I had the same feeling with 1095 on my Izula II.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Xformer wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:11 am
No, because it's mostly used on models that doesn't interest me and the edge retention isn't enough for me since I use a knife all day long, often roughly.

I'd say that VG10 has a somewhat really good "feel" when sharpening. It's smooth and always easy to know when the angle is good. Can't explain it better than that. I had the same feeling with 1095 on my Izula II.

Exactly what I feel and said in my post above! But you actually can give reasons for WHY VG10 "feels good" when sharpening it, while I could not. Have to think about and check if I feel that for the same reasons as you do.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

I just love VG10, great all around steel and still very relevant. When you grow up in times where AUS6-8 were considered great steels you will learn to appreciate well balanced and easily maintained steels like VG10.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Perhaps the best reason to buy a Spyderco with VG-10 & FRN is price. Endura4 VG-10 & FRN is now $95.55 and it’s all most people need! Endura4 K390 & FRN is quite a bit more at $142.80. The similar Pacific Salt2 with H1 (not FFG) & FRN is $113.75 and with LC200N & FRN is $135.10.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Of course worked for me in the past, will probably work for me in the future. Was really displeased when i wanted to buy a UKPK and the only version i could find at that moment was the expensive S90V version. Because apparently i can't sharpen S90V without buying special sharpmaker rods. I just wanted an ukpk and not some fancy steel.
Last knife i bought (endela wharncliff SE ) is also VG10.
With the amount of cutting i do i will probably never really feel the difference . I did cut a carrot in smaller pieces yesterday with it. Don't think it made a difference that it was S90V.
Ric

Post by Ric »

@AHarbuck
Sorry to say but H1 in PE is an absolute no-go for me. Impossible to sharpen. Destroying the rods.

I would use LC200N in PE.

Just to warn you...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Absolutely. Knife designs dictate my purchases far more than steel type, but steel type (and edge type) are very close second choices. VG10 or S30V for that matter definitely will not stop me from buying a knife, but I would absolutely choose other steels if I had the option to, depending on what those options are.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

Absolutely

When it comes to steel, my favorite attribute is sharpenability. K390, Cruwear and VG-10 all have varying levels of corrosion resistance and edge retention but they have one thing in common for me. They can all be made unbelievably sharp. VG-10 has the added benefit of being easily sharpened on my shaptons so that’s an even harder “yes”. VG-10 is a great steel
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:15 am
Xformer wrote:

Exactly what I feel and said in my post above! But you actually can give reasons for WHY VG10 "feels good" when sharpening it, while I could not. Have to think about and check if I feel that for the same reasons as you do.

You never answered to my message about Austria XD
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Absolutely. VG10 is still one of my favorite steels. I know I'm in the minority here, but I think ZDP-189 was the start of Spyderco's downward spiral toward marginally stainless and non-stainless steels, It's frustrating that I can no longer count on a Spyderco in a "new" steel having decent rust resistance.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

Voted no. But it was not because of the steel. Or not just because of the steel. 2022 has to be a year, with minimal to no knives bought. Spend way too much money on knives, last year. That has to change. So this year, any knife I but has to be perfect. My original plan is, to not buy any at all. Thus, the vote for no.
To tell the truth, I never have tried VG10, so I can not say, if I like it or not. But at the same time, it is not high on my "want to try" list. I mean, if the price is just too good to be true, why not. Still unlikely, that this year a VG10 knife will end up in my shopping cart. But this also holds for most other steels. I don't dislike VG10.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Xformer wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:00 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:15 am
Xformer wrote:

You never answered to my message about Austria XD
? What message??

EDIT: just looked through my pm's, there honestly is none you sent...?!
Last edited by Wartstein on Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
kobold

Post by kobold »

I would, but I already have three knives in it. That is why I am not looking to buy N690, 154CM and similar steels. Plenty of steels out there. I would also like Cruwear more than K390 for the Stretch XL, because of the acute tip. I prefer the original blade shape.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I don't insist that every knife I own is in a super steel. That said, I haven't been impressed with Spyderco's VG-10 and VG-10 in general is not very interesting to me. So no, I would not buy another Spyderco in VG-10.
Stas

Post by Stas »

Yes, actually I just did ;)
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Xformer wrote:

Is “somewhat really good” better than “good”?
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I chose maybe, because ill buy the stretch XL to see if I like it over the police 4 LW. I value ease of sharpening and low to no maintenance (corrosion resistance) over high edge retention steels.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:37 pm

I’d welcome VG10 in a small thin stock (1/16”) small game knife like the old Gerber Pixie.
Wow! You are talking my language, now. That would be perfect. A Spyderco knife in that style and size, with VG10 would be the cat's pajamas. I mean, it would be excellent.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050