Happy Chinese/Lunar New Year

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Happy Chinese/Lunar New Year

Post by Doc Dan »

Happy New Year for those of you celebrating.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
max808

Re: Happy Chinese/Lunar New Year

Post by max808 »

Happy New Year Doc, was a lil puzzled but just found out today you're a local there so Go Tigers!
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
archangel

Post by archangel »

Happy New Year!

I'm a tiger by birth year, so it's gonna be my year! ;)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Billions of people observe Chinese New Year a.k.a Lunar New Year. Even in the USA and Canada it is celebrated. It is a time when folks visit families, eat meals together, and celebrate being with one another. I don't celebrate it, but a great many of my friends do.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

My first experiences with the Lunar New Year was when I lived in Taiwan, mid-‘80s through early ‘90s. It was a nice time of the year.

Back here in CA, every Chinese New Year there is a 2-day cultural event downtown put on by the local Chinese cultural center, where they rope off a couple of streets and have Chinese cultural things, such as lion dance, Kung Fu exhibitions by different schools (which our school used to take part in), Chinese art, dance, etc. I haven’t been around it for years, though.

In the Chinese zodiac, I’m a Rabbit. I wanted to be a Tiger or a Dragon, but oh well. TBH, I don’t put a lot of stock in astrology, Chinese or Western. My personality doesn’t always fit the Rabbit; nor does it seem to fit my Western sun sign, Taurus. In fact, many Tauruses have the exact opposite personality from me. Although I will say that as I’ve gotten older, my personality generally seems to be closer to the Rabbit than to Taurus.

Jim
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Happy Lunar New Year everyone!

My Chinese sign is Ox and my Horoscope sign is Cancer but I don’t know much or anything about either one.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Happy Lunar New Year to Everyone!

I am a Rat on the Chinese Zodiac: Intelligent and opportunistic. Compatible with: Dragon, Monkey, Rat, and Ox

I used to hang out with tons of Chinese folks in the Bay Area when I went to raves back in the 2000 to 2003 time period. They had a lot of dark blue tattoos of dragons, snakes, and pretty women and were known as the TRIAD. They knew how to party, I'll give you that.

When I moved back to Chicago I went to Chinatown at least 3 days a week, and one of the guy who was in a local "club" there asked me if I wanted to practice with the Dragon Dance group that performs for Chinese New Year. I was going to do it but got sidetracked.

Not a fan of the CCP, but love a lot of things Chinese!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Congratulations and be prosperous!

tiger-color-paper-cutting-chinese-zodiac-10991826.jpg
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

It is not only Chinese who celebrate the lunar new year. Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, and pretty much all of east Asia celebrate the lunar new year. It is only called Chinese New Year by the billions of Chinese and ignorant Americans.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:33 pm
It is not only Chinese who celebrate the lunar new year. Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, and pretty much all of east Asia celebrate the lunar new year. It is only called Chinese New Year by the billions of Chinese and ignorant Americans.
[+1]

Thanks for the info.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:33 pm
The key point here is "billions of Chinese". China might just absorb all those smaller countries in 100 years.

In the traditional Daoist worldview, tigers are the avenging servants of justice. They are placed in direct opposition to evil spirits and are powerful representatives of divine providence. Many Daoist tales are punctuated by the wicked villain being slain by a roaming tiger.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Franc ... er_attacks

One of the central sacred spots of Daoism is Dragon Tiger Mountain, known in Chinese as 龙虎山 (Lónghŭ Shān). Located in Jiangxi province, this mountain is said to be one of the birthplaces of Daoism.