Siren CQI ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Manixguy@1994

Siren CQI ?

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Noticed SFO has the Siren available . Does anyone know if they are the updated models ? MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
phaust

Re: Siren CQI ?

Post by phaust »

Sal on BF confirmed they are the fixed version
Matus

Post by Matus »

Awesome! Any details on what was done? It was not a long time ago when Sal mentioned, that they were still working on it.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
psylence

Post by psylence »

It's very interesting to know what was done. I live outside US and it can be difficult to send my defective Siren (unlocks easily under medium pressure) to Spyderco :(
Current EDC: 135CFP/217GS/152TIP/41PYL5/223PWH/211TIP/244CF90VP
vivi

Post by vivi »

Interesting. I might send mine in for the cqi version if they're still offering that. I've been wanting to carry it, and the Chief's humpless spine has me really spoiled on ergonomics.
:unicorn
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

vivi wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:15 am
Interesting. I might send mine in for the cqi version if they're still offering that. I've been wanting to carry it, and the Chief's humpless spine has me really spoiled on ergonomics.
This made my day ! MG2
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
olywa

Post by olywa »

This is news to me. Can anyone give the specifics on what the issues were, and how the CQI addressed them? Mine's been sitting in the box since I got it. I liked it on paper but never got really jazzed about it in-hand.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Sent mine in today for exchange. :cheap-sunglasses
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageI made some contacts today when first batch goes out will be notified . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
vivi

Post by vivi »

5-by-5 wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:56 pm
Sent mine in today for exchange. :cheap-sunglasses
Who'd you talk to? I tried calling the different departments and either got redirected to a different one or had to leave a message. Was hoping to send mine in today too.
olywa wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:50 pm
This is news to me. Can anyone give the specifics on what the issues were, and how the CQI addressed them? Mine's been sitting in the box since I got it. I liked it on paper but never got really jazzed about it in-hand.
viewtopic.php?t=88875

To summarize, the lock bar pops up when hard pressure is applied to the cutting edge. Mine is particularly bad, coming all the way up with moderate pressure on a cutting board.

Still functions well enough outside of that, and it hasn't unlocked on me yet, but I've been keeping mine in storage while I wait for the CQI exchange Sal mentioned.

I'm excited to see the new versions already out, that was fast. It's a really nice design and I look forward to using it more this year. It's about the same size as my Chiefs with some ergonomic similarities due to the negative angle and lack of a thumb ramp. Plan to give it a 260 grit edge and carry it a lot this year once I exchange mine.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Situation is a bit tricky here in Europe, if one wants a Siren, but not immediately but at some point in the future:

Some stores still have the Siren in stock - so these can just be pre-cqi versions.
Some say it is "coming soon" - most likely "fixed", post cqi versions.

As soon as ALL stores will have the Siren in stock again, it will be hard to tell anymore which one have most likely pre- , and which one post-cqi pieces. And I figure many dealers will not even know that earlier batches can have issues.

It would be great to know from which production code / date on it is guaranteed that one gets the "fixed" version for sure!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I dealt with a dealer who is out of stock so I could avoid any issues . PM if need more info. MG2
Henry David Thoreau
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Added to my post above:

For Europeans: Two of the larger online stores - Lamnia and knivesandtools - DON´T currently have the Siren in stock. Which makes it very likely that they´ll only have the post.cqi Siren, as soon as they are stocked up again
(! Of course there might be more stores with the same situation, and all stores probably will be able to tell a production date! So I am not necessarily advertising for the two mentioned, though I generally only had good experiences with them).
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:24 pm
I dealt with a dealer who is out of stock so I could avoid any issues . PM if need more info. MG2

Thanks, really appreciate it!!

But since I am from Europe and not planning on getting a Siren very soon anyway (but certainly at some point in the future!) I guess I´ll just wait.
sal

Post by sal »

psylence wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:11 am
It's very interesting to know what was done. I live outside US and it can be difficult to send my defective Siren (unlocks easily under medium pressure) to Spyderco :(

Hi Psylence, & other Europeans,

Please contact customer service at Spyderco. I will alert Charlynn.

sal
psylence

Post by psylence »

sal wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:59 pm
Hi Psylence, & other Europeans,

Please contact customer service at Spyderco. I will alert Charlynn.

sal
Thank you, sir!
Current EDC: 135CFP/217GS/152TIP/41PYL5/223PWH/211TIP/244CF90VP
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Actually I was/am really sorry for Lance that exactly HIS design had to have those issues - and consequently was not well available too.

I hope that now the Siren get´s a second chance and is on its way to glory! ;)
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Do the “fixed” Sirens have a manufactured month & date stamp of AV (January 2022) on the box?

Any plans to change the steel from LC200N to MagnaCut? Much rather have the better edge retention of MagnaCut.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

RamZar wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:18 pm
Do the “fixed” Sirens have a manufactured month & date stamp of AV (January 2022) on the box?

Any plans to change the steel from LC200N to MagnaCut? Much rather have the better edge retention of MagnaCut.
That’s a very good set of questions I was thinking about last night . Glad you posted because it is exactly what I would like to know too before investing money for this knife . Thank you MG2
Henry David Thoreau
Matus

Post by Matus »

MC would be a great steel for the Siren, but since there was no word on that yet, then even if it is considered for the future, I would expect it to hit the market earliest one year from now.

Other makers are slowly introducing MC into their production knives, but to my knowledge the only serial model from Spyderco so far announced (and hopefully coming soon) is Native 5.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...