Michael Janich on the Stovepipe

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cjk

Michael Janich on the Stovepipe

Post by cjk »

gspam1

Re: Michael Janich on the Stovepipe

Post by gspam1 »

Thanks for posting. Waiting on Knife Center to ship mine.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Thanks for the link. Mike Janich gave a detailed explanation of the design details and history of the Stovepipe. Well done!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

They did interrupt Michael a bit much just for my taste, but otherwise interesting to watch!

The Stovepipe will never be really "my" kind of folder, but actually seeing it in the hands of people makes me think it must be both fun and very efficient to use it.
Mr. Janich pointed this out and in this particular model I do like the combo of thick, comfortable-for-the-finger blade stock and apparently very high and deep, slicey hollow grind: The "funky" shape of the spine for me actually lends itself to almost predominantly use the knife with a finger put on the spine in various places.

I think if I had this knife, I would not carry it a whole lot (partly just because it is both too small and too heavy for being a general EDC knife for me), but certainly use it a lot at home for various tasks. And I´d enjoy that for sure.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

The Stovepipe is on the pricier side.
The Stovepipe wouldn't be the MOST useful knife.
But the cool factor could overcome any negatives.

However, it's right-hand only.
That's a BIG negative.
Fuggetaboutit.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Nice. I am glad to see quality collaborations even when it takes away production time from models I would be more interested in. This is not my cup of tea because I don't care about art even when it is functional. I like a functional tool however :cowboy
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

RustyIron wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:34 am

That's a BIG negative.
Fuggetaboutit.

I can only dream of the day when Spyderco finally makes left-handed framelocks, like what Chris Reeve has been doing, and only recently, Hinderer. It's a nice dream, but just a dream nonetheless.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Good video, I enjoyed hearing Mikes perspective on the knife. I was glad to hear him speak on the artistic value of the knife. That is something that seems totally lost on today’s market but is something I have always appreciated about knives, especially Spyderco knives. I’ve studied art and design for many years and it’s actually one of the driving forces behind why I enjoy collecting Spyderco knives.

This knife will 110% make its way into my collection at some point. It’s going to be like a giant McBee and I already know I’m going to love it.
-Nick :bug-red
Ranger000

Post by Ranger000 »

nerdlock wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:45 am
RustyIron wrote:

That's a BIG negative.
Fuggetaboutit.

I can only dream of the day when Spyderco finally makes left-handed framelocks, like what Chris Reeve has been doing, and only recently, Hinderer. It's a nice dream, but just a dream nonetheless.
[b]Left handed males make up ONLY 6% of the population.

And that is why Spyderco doesn't make that a manufacturing priority.

[/b]

And the % of those males that carry knives is minuscule.
cjk

Post by cjk »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:32 am
They did interrupt Michael a bit much just for my taste, but otherwise interesting to watch!

and MJ handles all of that as politely and as cool as can be. He seems like a super cool guy. He also does an excellent job as the Spyderco Youtube channel narrator.

While I don't think this model is for me, I have to admit that I did find it much more interesting after hearing Mr Janich discuss the background and demonstrate this and that.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I always appreciate listening to Mike; he's well spoken. I think the knife will be popular even though it's not appealing to me.
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

Janich definitely sold the knife, art knife with ergonomics!
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:13 am
Good video, I enjoyed hearing Mikes perspective on the knife. I was glad to hear him speak on the artistic value of the knife. That is something that seems totally lost on today’s market but is something I have always appreciated about knives, especially Spyderco knives. I’ve studied art and design for many years and it’s actually one of the driving forces behind why I enjoy collecting Spyderco knives.

This knife will 110% make its way into my collection at some point. It’s going to be like a giant McBee and I already know I’m going to love it.
Art and Design is what initially drew me to weapons and tools, and then ultimately knives. Even before I became fascinated by cutting performance.

It’s the same as my other passions like biology, paleontology, sports, and so on (which are all predated and influenced by an interest in art). It starts out as an admiration for a “cool looking” something that snowballs into a deeper appreciation and expression.

The Stovepipe can be considered an example of that, I think.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
archangel

Post by archangel »

It is odd at first glace, but beautiful if you look at the details, and the whole thing for longer. All that can afford one should go for it.

If I had the money, I'd be all over it. Would fit perfectly next to my K2 and Slysz Bowie.

I enjoyed the interview, Michael is very good at this.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Doesn't sound safe being on there.

Be safe :)
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

nerdlock wrote:
RustyIron wrote:

That's a BIG negative.
Fuggetaboutit.

I agree ! Last dedicated lefty was the PM2 , before that the Military, and before that the Police CF . Lefty’s Unite ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

nerdlock wrote:
RustyIron wrote:

That's a BIG negative.
Fuggetaboutit.

I always feel like R.I.L s, in the right hand configuration, are more suited for left handed persons. When one grips the knife very hard, a right handed person would push the lock bar into a more locked position. For a left handed person, the solid scale is the one, that receives all the pressure. Or it may just be me and the way I grip my knives.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

MJ did a great job explaining the piece.

The other two, not so much. Room to improve on interviewing. Sometimes less is more.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

nerdlock wrote:

Yeah, if Left Handers were any other special interest group, we'd make Tik-Toks, do that cancel-culture thing, and stomp around in the middle of the street. But it's hard to get bent out of shape over fewer LH models.

Many Spyderco's are always sold out, which tells us that production is near capacity. Retooling for a LH model takes time and money, so it's no surprise that we're overlooked. It's not that big a deal. I prefer CBBL and backlocks over liner locks, frame locks, and even compression locks.

So really, I don't need a Stovepipe, but I feel left out and have nothing else to complain about. All my other knives are pretty good. Lotsa styles in lotsa materials... life is good.

🗡😁🔪
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I was very pleased and happy that the lady interviewing Mr Janich didn’t experience any “hot spots” by just holding the knife for a few seconds. :eye-roll
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin