Lightweight Yojimbo?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fireman

Lightweight Yojimbo?

Post by Fireman »

Is there a need or desire for a lightweight Yojimbo? Will a back lock work for this design?
I am fully on the S90V CF Yojumbo train but I can’t help but think a lightweight Yojimbo would be excellent. I carried a Civilian for back up for a long time strictly as a self defense knife with a primary knife and I can’t help but think a lightweight Yojimbo would be a good back up knife to an EDC. If the LW Yojimbo was light as a secondary carry, I think a lot of people would carry it. Yes, it would make a fine primary carry as well but I like my back up to be a knife that is always sharp in case the emergency needed it to be.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Toucan

Re: Lightweight Yojimbo?

Post by Toucan »

I'd be very interested. Hope it gets the wire clip and BD1N treatment. And rounded edges more like the Para3 LW rather than the Manix LW or Native. I hope knowledge gained from developing the Para3 LW in regards to centering and what not has made the next gen of linerless FRN compression locks a bit more refined. If priced around $100, it would be amazing.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I think that’s a sound argument from a self defense mindset, though not really for me and my opinions specifically.
Spyderco offers so much variety in service to our preferences, but a lightweight compression lock wharncliffe would be new!
However, if I was going to a buy a Yojimbo, they already sell the version that makes the most sense to me. (I personally feel that solid g10 and inset liners is the ideal for a self defense knife, or lined FRN at least).

To me, the lightweight idea has more merit in linerless construction and the role of a normal cutting, non-self defense, edc carry.

So I support the idea, but not for quite the same reason.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Not sure if the tall Yojimbo blade and a backlock would fit in the current handle..?

That said: Lightweight and backlock would both make the model a lot more intriguing for me.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cjk

Post by cjk »

The Yojimbo 2 has a blade with a lot of weight as part of its design, so I would question the effectiveness of a lightweight one. It would be lighter, but I think it would be less of a difference than in the normal and lightweight Para 3.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Not just a lightweight but also a full rust proof version makes the most sense to me. A knife that's carried close against your body can rust too, we've had this conversation many times. I'm not sure calling it a "Salt" even makes sense, because I think too many people associate that name literally with salt water activities, but I think there's a real value in a rust proof self defense knife. We have the ARK, but being a neck knife meant for the shower is a bit different I guess.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

In terms of Spyderco SD products, I'd much rather see a Chief trainer.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

I was skeptical if the Yojimbo would work in a backlock version because of the choil-less design, so I checked. It seems that it would work perfectly in a backlock design too.

8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Back lock - no
Lightweight - yes
Salt - yes

Specifically useful for when you have those missions when you have to immerse yourself in water and breathe through a bamboo straw. "Water"meaning whatever liquid, so yes, it must be a MagnaCut Salt.
MNOSD member 0011
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

So basically a whole new knife in the Yo family? Think about it, if you change the lock it becomes a whole new knife. New blade, new lock, new handle.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

It’s Michael Janich’s design, if he wants to design one with a backlock or FRN scales so be it. Personally, I don’t think there will ever be a backlock version because there is nothing wrong with the compression lock version. I wouldn’t rule out an FRN version but where these are collaboration models, I wouldn’t necessarily expect it either.

Changing a lock type isn’t as simple as plug and play. It’s difficult to tell but I’m not sure if a backlock would even fit in the Yojimbo or Yojumbo handle with the blade closed. At least not without noticeable handle modification.
-Nick :bug-red
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:49 am

Changing a lock type isn’t as simple as plug and play. It’s difficult to tell but I’m not sure if a backlock would even fit in the Yojimbo or Yojumbo handle with the blade closed. At least not without noticeable handle modification.

Good point there, I only checked if it could fall shut safely on the index finger for one-handed backlock closing, I did not consider that handle and blade shape could also influence wether a knife could be made in a backlock version or not.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I really like the idea of a LW Yoji.
Count me on board.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I was under the impression that the lock choice was a MBC rates strength ordeal, but then they also use Delicas which are back locks. Still, Michael chose the CL for a reason.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

nerdlock wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:08 am
Mushroom wrote:

Good point there, I only checked if it could fall shut safely on the index finger for one-handed backlock closing, I did not consider that handle and blade shape could also influence wether a knife could be made in a backlock version or not.

Nicks / Mushrooms point is actually exactly what I tried to express in my first post here, reason being that I remember Sal saying that the tall Shaman blade would not fit in the current Shaman handle together with a backlock.
The situation looks pretty similar in case of the Yojimbo.. ?
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:58 am
nerdlock wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

Nicks / Mushrooms point is actually exactly what I tried to express in my first post here, reason being that I remember Sal saying that the tall Shaman blade would not fit in the current Shaman handle together with a backlock.
The situation looks pretty similar in case of the Yojimbo.. ?
My bad, I didn’t read all of the replies before responding to the original post. We seem to have had the same thoughts about the idea though.
-Nick :bug-red
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Salt lightweight Yojimbo makes sense.
I happen to think the Emerson Wave feature would be great for deployment in a self defense situation. Will a lightweight FRN handle and compression lock work?
Last edited by Fireman on Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

duplicate post
benben

Post by benben »

I have the plain Jane Black G-10, S30V version, honestly I wouldn't change one thing. My particular Yojimbo is THE example of a perfectly manufactured knife!

Incredible action, lockup, centered, just slick as greasy glass, Golden killed it with mine!

But hey, who am I to say no to a new knife model?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:36 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:58 am
nerdlock wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
My bad, I didn’t read all of the replies before responding to the original post. We seem to have had the same thoughts about the idea though.

No worries, I did not mean to say that you repeated my post. But rather that you could phrase the point better than I did, so people could actually understand it... :worried ;)

/ Anyway, generally for me one of the advantages of comp. lock and liner lock is exactly that they allow designs with very tall blades compared to the height of the handle. If a designer makes full use of this, I think the exact same handle just could never house a blade as tall if the design switched to a backlock (on the other hand: If one made a super thin backlock knife, this design could probably not be changed to a comp. - or linerlock (or CBBL) without having to get a bit thicker too).

(Not a reply to you, but generally): Despite being a backlock - guy: I am not sure why a lightweight Yojimbo should not still have a comp.lock? Constructed just like in the Para 3 LW?
I think especially people who might not actually use - and OPEN (!) - their folder often, but rather carry it for sd, will certainly be quicker and more reliable when having to open a well tuned comp.lock knife than one with a backlock (especially when under stress) - true for thumb rolling, flicking and inertia opening imo.