Shaman safety

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Enactive

Re: Shaman safety

Post by Enactive »

I've never had an issue with this, and like the finger guard. The Shaman was my first comp lock knife though, so i didn't have contrasting expectations.
timlara

Post by timlara »

I kind of put it in the same category as the recessed lock release on the GB1 & GB2. It lessens the "fidget factor" if you're sitting there opening and closing the knife over and over, but in normal use it's not really that big of a deal imo.

In both cases, the designs are the way they are for other reasons that were considered more important to the designers.
Tim
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:07 am
I just move my finger at the last second and the blade shuts just fine with as much mass as it has.
Yeah that's how I do it too
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:20 am
i wouldn't call it unsafe as much as i would say it looks like unfinished compromise rather than purposeful design. after people got used to it and showed spyderco it was acceptable, it started showing up in more designs.

i'm not going to say anything else... i'm pretty anti-shaman and had a whole long post written, but it's not relevant to the tab or safety of the knife, so i'll stop there. my opinions on this model are not shared with most people around here.
This
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Vaugith wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:01 pm
I had the nub ground off on my first shaman. When I first handled it I felt like you do and thought it would improve my experience. When I bought my second shaman a long while later, I thought I might want to grind that nub off too but decided to carry it for a while first to double check. To my surprise the nub didn't bother me at all. Apparently I adapted to move my finger out of the way without even having the nub there to encourage me to do so. Today for me it's a non issue. I carry both nubbed and nubless shaman regularly and don't notice even the slightest difference in my uses. I use them hard and have never felt like my hand was going to slide up onto the blade without the nub with or without gloves. But hey, if you think grinding the nub off is going to help you enjoy the knife more, have at it.
I rarely forget to move my finger. It is more of a concern when I hand it to my friends. It just looks like it wasn't thought out (although it is a great design)
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

sal wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:45 pm
Hi Paraguy,

While I respect your opinion, I don't think it's a "design flaw".

sal
I don't think it's a design flaw if you don't, after all, you designed it. Some of my language was a little hyperbolic as I think you can tell. I'm just confused as to why it's there. I agree with other members that it is a non-issue once you get used to moving your finger out of the way. I LOVE the knife - you did a great job with it. But every time I look at it I just wonder why you put the nub there. That's all.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:42 pm
I’m not seeing why the nub is a matter of safety. I do see, when closing the blade in a particular way (there are several), how the nub can come up and whack my index finger while it pinches the compression tab. But that is no matter to me.

I was being satirical. The name was inspired by another thread called "Chaparell safety."
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

VooDooChild wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:11 pm
Yeah just move the finger. Practice doing it and it will become second nature.

I can close my shamans with no issue, it just takes some time to get used to it.

Or once you have initiated the closing arc of the blade just keep lighter pressure on the lockbar and the nub will push your finger out of the way.

For me the shaman is so good that I forgive it for this.
I share your opinion
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

timlara wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:09 pm
I kind of put it in the same category as the recessed lock release on the GB1 & GB2. It lessens the "fidget factor" if you're sitting there opening and closing the knife over and over, but in normal use it's not really that big of a deal imo.

In both cases, the designs are the way they are for other reasons that were considered more important to the designers.
True. Although you have to fidget with it to get used to moving your finger. :winking-tongue
"Some call me...Tim?"
sal

Post by sal »

Sometimes there is a learning curve with my designs. Can you imagine all of the questions when we first came out with our first models in the early 80's? Clips, big holes in the blades, serrations?

sal
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I wonder if the timing is harder to get on the shaman than on the Watu. It's a big blade on this one, might come faster than the Watu !

The Watu has a feather light blade but man does it come close fast xD. It's the one that took me the most tries to ajust to.

edit : typo.
Last edited by Ramonade on Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Ramonade wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:28 pm
I wonder if the timing is harder to get on the shaman thz on the Watu. It's a big blade on this one, might come faster than the Watu !

The Watu has a feather light blade but man does it come close fast xD. It's the one that took me the most tries to ajust to.
I think that pivot bushing on the Watu has a lot to do with it. It swings closed like it's 8pm on a Sunday at the Dollar Tree.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I'm pretty sure Dollar Tree closes @ 19:00 on Sundays in France...
So it goes.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

I've always thought of the tab as a "tactile feedback" sort of thing to remind me that the knife has fully closed when I'm using the compression lock without looking at it.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Airlsee wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:53 pm
I'm pretty sure Dollar Tree closes @ 19:00 on Sundays in France...
I thought about that after posting. That is a very regional reference. Let's just say the Watu is one heck of a quick closer. I'm not going to say dro_ __utty.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I don't get it. I read this post, scratched my head. Went and got one of my Shamans, opened and closed it
several times, scratched my head again.

I don't see a problem. I don't see a design flaw. I think the Shaman is a fantastic knife, it never bites me.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

The "ouchie tab" isn't so ouchie for me. Seriously, I've learned to move my finger out of the way. It's muscle memory now. And when I don't move my finger out of the way it's never actually hurt. Does it really hurt you?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Chuck James

Post by Chuck James »

Sal....it's a great design. We've had no issues with ours.

Maybe a larger hand is in order!! ;)

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:58 pm
I don't get it. I read this post, scratched my head. Went and got one of my Shamans, opened and closed it
several times, scratched my head again.

I don't see a problem. I don't see a design flaw. I think the Shaman is a fantastic knife, it never bites me.
^ I'm with Tom!

I also don't get why people say it looks unfinished. It looks perfect to me. I don't see an evil nub. I just see a Shaman. I like the guard it creates and would rather have it there then not
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Chuck James wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:30 pm
Sal....it's a great design. We've had no issues with ours.

Maybe a larger hand is in order!! ;)

Andre the Giant? Is that you?