RIP Dr. Vadim Kraichuk "Knife Grinders" Wootz

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Deadboxhero

RIP Dr. Vadim Kraichuk "Knife Grinders" Wootz

Post by Deadboxhero »

With great sadness we have lost one of the greatest contributors to knife sharpening.

"Knife Grinders" Dr Vadim Kraichuk

He was known for his Knife Deburring Book, and his extensive exploration into something that is perhaps one of the most important components of knife sharpening that is often never discussed.

Deburring.

Whether you agreed with his work or disagreed there is no doubt he got you thinking about the details and ruling things out.

Dr Vadim had an inquenchable thirst for knowledge and sharing. His quest started to put an end to the myths and rumors surrounding sharpening and to explore how and what can be done to create a high performance edge. He did this not only for his Sharpening business, but also because it was his passion and he also shared his work and research with the public.

He wrote a book "Knife Deburring" which has some very interesting ideas in it. He also has a YouTube channel which he went into detailed testing with researching the effects of heat damage on edges and also videos to demonstrate his prowless with sharpening.
One of his greatest works was on showing that super steals need super abrasives and that the edge retention and edge stability was better with cBN versus Alumina for super steels.

However his most well known contribution was helping to quantify the BESS test values and what the values mean.

He essentially set the standard.

He was mistakenly dismissed by some as just a Tormek guy but a lot of his idea apply universally to any sharpening method.

This announcement comes with such great sadness because his work was ongoing.

We will never know what other mysteries he would have been able to shine light on.

We will never know the full potential of where his work would have gone.

So, perhaps this is a reminder that tomorrow is never promised

Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Baron Mind

Re: RIP Dr. Vadim Kraichuk "Knife Grinders" Wootz

Post by Baron Mind »

R.i.p, and thanks for your contributions to the community.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Yep, sad news for sure. Our community is always better with passionate folks who make us think and generate discussion.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Just bought the book. They may be hard to come by in the future.

Obviously a brilliant man.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Let me come back to say that unfortunately, this is the second instance in too short a time that Shawn has provided an excellent report on the untimely loss of prominent members of our community.

Sincerely, well done Shawn and much respect.

Tomorrow is not promised indeed.
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Shawn,

Our condolences to his family. May he rest in peace.

I too just bought the book.

sal
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Eli Chaps wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:31 pm
Let me come back to say that unfortunately, this is the second instance in too short a time that Shawn has provided an excellent report on the untimely loss of prominent members of our community.

The problem can be people on the more geeky side of things are more introverted.

As an extrovert, I do feel a sense of responsibility sometimes to get the word out. I'd certainly rather not be the bringer of bad news.

Pretty bummed out on this one.

We've lost a lot of good guys this past year.

Cliff Stamp
Ken Schwartz

And now Dr Vadim.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

That's terrible news, I just found his Youtube channel a few months ago! Crazy how this world works. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrs9DE ... A/featured
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:48 pm
Eli Chaps wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:31 pm

The problem can be people on the more geeky side of things are more introverted.

As an extrovert, I do feel a sense of responsibility sometimes to get the word out. I'd certainly rather not be the bringer of bad news.

Pretty bummed out on this one.

We've lost a lot of good guys this past year.

Cliff Stamp
Ken Schwartz

And now Dr Vadim.
Oi brother! You bring far more good news than bad by massive margins. You pay respect to influential folks in our community.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Just made the connection between the man and it's work... It was pretty well known, for me to find it years ago !

Thoughts to his family and may he rest in peace.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Sorry to hear of this. Also ordered a hard copy of his book, have had it on kindle for a while but having this one around for reference seems like a good idea.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Sadness :(
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Thanks Shawn for always honoring those who came before. We are all here because someone came before us and paved the way. A good reminder.

Condolences to his family.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005