This just makes no sense!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kobold

Re: This just makes no sense!

Post by kobold »

I would fill the hole with a marble, which will act as a crystal ball and can be gazed for divination. Due to its minuscule size you could only see about a second or two into the future. However, sometimes that is all you need. :-)
Last edited by kobold on Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:38 am
Surely you've noticed the decline in mom and pop butcher shops....that's all Spyderco's fault. Their dang thumb hole has absolutely cornered the hotdog skinning market. Why do you think they had a patent on the ROUND hole? You ever seen an oval shaped hotdog? You know why nobody has ever copied the byrd comet hole? Try smashing a hotdog through that thing.

Seriously the only reason I even own more than one knife is because they make them in so many convenient sizes. The best part is, if you line the holes up from biggest to smallest you can also make a hotdog reducer. Nobody likes it when their hotdog bun breaks in half at the bottom...boom, problem solved. I've been reducing hotdogs for years. Can't count how many bun lives I've saved, how many mustard drip shirt stains I've avoided.
So the 10 minute I spend shaving my hotdogs can be avoided entirely?! And I can insure even thickness! Why don’t I see these commercials on tv instructing us all on appropriate use?!
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

kobold wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:51 am
I would fill the hole with a marble, which will act as a crystal ball and can be used for divination. Due to its minuscule size you could only see about a second or two into the future. However, sometimes that is all you need. :-)
“I see it now so clearly! OH CRAP!”
-man looking through knife hole crystal ball

MNOSD 0009
Granoo Fink

Post by Granoo Fink »

Evil D wrote:
Granoo Fink wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:55 am
Evil D wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:21 pm
benben wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:56 pm
And I really wanted the sharpen the spine just like the edge, that hole really screwed that plan up! >:[

I sharpen the holes, they're the best tool I've found for skinning hotdogs.

I tried this morning with my breakfast sausage. The result was... unsightly.
Should I worry about my butcher?

Surely you've noticed the decline in mom and pop butcher shops....that's all Spyderco's fault. Their dang thumb hole has absolutely cornered the hotdog skinning market. Why do you think they had a patent on the ROUND hole? You ever seen an oval shaped hotdog? You know why nobody has ever copied the byrd comet hole? Try smashing a hotdog through that thing.

Seriously the only reason I even own more than one knife is because they make them in so many convenient sizes. The best part is, if you line the holes up from biggest to smallest you can also make a hotdog reducer. Nobody likes it when their hotdog bun breaks in half at the bottom...boom, problem solved. I've been reducing hotdogs for years. Can't count how many bun lives I've saved, how many mustard drip shirt stains I've avoided.

My lacking language skills cannot express how honored I feel you sharing your wisdom with us.
You, Sir, are a real philbunthropist.
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Granoo Fink wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:06 am
My lacking language skills cannot express how honored I feel you sharing your wisdom with us.
I think your praise is directed at Evil D???

Phi-bun-thropist
Lover of the bun

MNOSD 0009
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Kevinim82 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:57 am
Evil D wrote:

So the 10 minute I spend shaving my hotdogs can be avoided entirely?! And I can insure even thickness! Why don’t I see these commercials on tv instructing us all on appropriate use?!

To be honest Sal really failed us with the Sharpmaker instructional DVD. He left all of this out. Gigantic oversight on his part. Sal must be a bratwurst guy, only way I can explain it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Granoo Fink

Post by Granoo Fink »

Kevinim82 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:10 am
Granoo Fink wrote:

Phi-bun-thropist
Lover of the bun
I was late to the party, edited.
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:14 am
Kevinim82 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:57 am
Evil D wrote:

To be honest Sal really failed us with the Sharpmaker instructional DVD. He left all of this out. Gigantic oversight on his part. Sal must be a bratwurst guy, only way I can explain it.
Hahahahah!

I too thought the sharpmaker demo ended too soon with the scissor sharpening demo! Perhaps he was cut short due to studio time constraints (another possibility?)

I suppose he is a brat guy. That would be the most likely thing to explain such oversight.

Being a hot dog and a brat guy, I have to say a Pac Salt SS does quick work of making a wavy Brat (the nephews are always impressed.)

MNOSD 0009
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Granoo Fink wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:15 am
Kevinim82 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:10 am
Granoo Fink wrote:

Phi-bun-thropist
Lover of the bun
I was late to the party, edited.
This is a good pun, and as a pun lover, I knew what you meant. 😎

MNOSD 0009
desmodue

Post by desmodue »

Spydie Hole Patch Kit.png
$29.95 including shipping the Original Spydie Hole Delete Kit.
Special this week 4 for $100.
:bug-red Bow River 8Cr13MoV * Zome Dragonfly VG-10 * Para 3 LW BD1N * Para 3 CPM Rex 45
PM 2 Böhler M390 * PM 2 CPM 20CV * PM 2 CTS 204P * PM 2 CTS Maxamet * Yojimbo CPM M4
Shaman Zapp Z-Wear PM * Spydie Chef Zapp LC200N * Techno 2 CTS XHP * Drunken CPM S90V

Benchmade Griptilian 20CV * Mini Grip S30V * Kershaw Launch 1 CPM 154 * Kershaw Link S35VN
Gerber Applegate Fairbairn Covert ATS 34 * KaBar 1211 AISI 1095 * Cold Steel CS-13QMBIX CPM 3V
benben

Post by benben »

I want to take a moment to apologize to everyone here for starting this thread, me and the hole have made up and finally come to terms! ;)

I did like the marble / crystal ball suggestion though, genius!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

sal wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:35 pm
"The most important part about a cup is the part in which there is nothing".

sal
Lmao! That's really good!
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

benben wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:51 pm
Why does my Spyderco have this huge hole in the blade? It’s just stupid, seems like it would be a weak spot on the spine if I were to hit it right there with a hammer! Do you think if I put a correct size bolt though the hole with a locknut it would make it stronger there? Like a homemade thumb stud….

The solution you proposed is genius. A half-inch bolt fits nicely, and tighten it down good with some lock washers. This is the best Spyderco mod I've ever seen, and as you say, it make a handy thumb stud. I plan to modify the rest of my Spyders likewise. I would not be surprised if Spyderco started to sell all their knives with a hole-filling bolt plug like this.

For the doubters out there: Yes, it does make the profile a little larger in the pocket, but this is outweighed by (1) the amazingly unavoidable thumb-stud provided and (2) the additional gravitas it adds to the knife by way of weight.
Attachments
BoltJoke.JPG
Last edited by Bolster on Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
benben

Post by benben »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:07 pm
benben wrote:
Why does my Spyderco have this huge hole in the blade? It’s just stupid, seems like it would be a weak spot on the spine if I were to hit it right there with a hammer! Do you think if I put a correct size bolt though the hole with a locknut it would make it stronger there? Like a homemade thumb stud….
Haha, perfect, we’re trend setters! Off to the hardware store I go!

The solution you proposed is genius. A half-inch bolt fits nicely, and tighten it down good with some lock washers. This is the best Spyderco mod I've ever seen, and as you say, it make a handy thumb stud. I plan to modify the rest of my Spyders likewise....
archangel

Post by archangel »

benben wrote:
Why does my Spyderco have this huge hole in the blade?

Kids these days, they pierce just about everything....
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
benben

Post by benben »

archangel wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:54 pm
benben wrote:
Why does my Spyderco have this huge hole in the blade?

Kids these days, they pierce just about everything....
I appreciate the kid part, thanks! So help me out here….you mean pierce instead of cutting? I’m scratching my head here.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

benben wrote:

I’m stumped…what to do? :thinking
Bondo? J.B. Weld?
benben

Post by benben »

Pokey wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:17 pm
benben wrote:

I’m stumped…what to do? :thinking
Bondo? J.B. Weld?
I do have access daily to mig, tig, and a $35,000 resistance welder, I like where you’re going with this!

Bondo? You have to be politically correct, it’s now a polyester based filler!
Last edited by benben on Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:07 pm
For the doubters out there: Yes, it does make the profile a little larger in the pocket, but this is outweighed by (1) the amazingly unavoidable thumb-stud provided and (2) the additional gravitas it adds to the knife by way of weight.
And you thought the clips rip up the pockets' edge? You ain't seen nothin' yet. :winking-tongue
sal

Post by sal »

I think we need a poll on whether we should serrate the holes for skinning hot dogs?

sal