Someone is trolling you

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Someone is trolling you

Post by Doc Dan »

I believe someone is trolling everybody on this forum, but not in a contentious way, just in a manner meant to try the famous patience of everyone on the forum. I think this troll is having fun at everyone's expense. :scream

Either that, or he or she is an unsupervised ten year old.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Re: Someone is trolling you

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:47 pm
I believe someone is trolling everybody on this forum, but not in a contentious way, just in a manner meant to try the famous patience of everyone on the forum. I think this troll is having fun at everyone's expense. :scream

Either that, or he or she is an unsupervised ten year old.

Doc, I think I know whom you are referring too.... and this persons account has been deleted (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=91614&start=60#p1593711)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Darn. I was just beginning to appreciate his entertainment value.
Everyone needs a laugh now and again.
SSD_777

Post by SSD_777 »

It doesn't take a doctorate degree to figure that out. Everyone here seems so eager to show that they know it all.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Hey Doc, you’re probably right but how could you ever know? He may have just as easy been a simpleton.

Personally I don’t mind the odd kook. The last fellow wasn’t offensive and overall he was pretty funny, I reckon. He painted some funny pictures in my head and I’m just sorry I couldn’t be big enough to just read his posts and laugh like I should rather than reacting and ridiculing.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

I think you're probably right, but I'd rather err on the side of caution in case this person really is having issues. If they're as lost as they seem to be, advising them with a few helpful words is probably for the best.

I made a joke post that I kind of regret now poking fun at the whole ordeal, but as others have said, the person isn't being hostile or mean. I suppose it's kind of a no-harm, no-foul situation, and just one of the prices of an open forum where people feel they can ask what they need to ask.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I´ve said already all I have to say on this here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=91614&start=60#p1593711
and here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=91614&start=20#p1593255
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

If anything, he brought out some folks' true natures, and how quickly people will abandon "shiny footprints". Dude wasn't insulting, wasn't rude, was just a little annoying. All people had to do was put him on ignore or just not interact in his threads, but some folks just had to get their licks in apparently.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:25 am
how do we know he was deleted by mods instead of him deleting his own account and leaving?

this was the thread that did it for me too. i tried defending him and answering him, despite being annoyed by the frequent nonsense he was posting. after reading pretty much everything he had been posting and then seeing this thread, it was pretty clear that the inconsistencies were not just a language barrier, or age, or even lack of experience.

i hope we will have a nice reprieve from these posts and they'll fade into the archives, but i still have a nagging feeling that there could be someone that was basically bullied into leaving and that doesn't sit right with me, regardless of how tired i was of seeing his posts.
i just posted this in the chaparral safety thread where he claimed to cut himself every time he opens his knife. i honestly find it troubling. i haven't seen any word from moderators addressing his activity here, so i'm more inclined to believe he left on his own. i wish they'd chime in and set the record straight.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

StuntZombie wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:11 am
If anything, he brought out some folks' true natures, and how quickly people will abandon "shiny footprints". Dude wasn't insulting, wasn't rude, was just a little annoying. All people had to do was put him on ignore or just not interact in his threads, but some folks just had to get their licks in apparently.
Well said, thank you.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
SG89

Post by SG89 »

The trust and belief in the good nature of others is strong in y'all. Some see that as a virtue, some see it as an opening.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
archangel

Post by archangel »

JRinFL wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:33 am
StuntZombie wrote:
Well said, thank you.

I second that. His opinions were strange, maybe even irrational, but I don't remember any insult. No need to escalate. Ignorance can be bliss, and tolerance is a virtue some are lacking.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

He was not bullied here. The Spyderco forum is not Whine &Cheese on Bladeforums. He got called out because he repeated the same questions over and over again, never wanted to listen, and he caused bad vibes on this forum between other members. Maybe he was not a native speaker, neither am i. But he shure touched on a lot of subjects that are sensitive to people in here. Bladegrinds, steel, clip positioning, bashing Spyderco, asking Sal why they never made a video in Spanish etc. Said he was not from the USA, and then made the mistake of thinking health care is not basically free in the rest of the world. If you cut yourself in europe you go to the E.R. and it gets fixed. It will cost you next to nothing not 1000 USD. That is a "mistake" someone from the U.S. would make ( no not bashing on Politics here). He used pretty good English, nothing a online translator would write. I know, i translate letters for my Aunt from Dutch in English for her Pet Dr frequently. I have to rewrite most sentences because the English that comes out of Google Translate is a direct translation with words from the dictionary that don't flow well in English. So he probably was a troll. Or he had some mental disorder that caused him to process information on a different level in his brain. All fun and games till he told us he cuts himself daily and shows us a cut in his arms.
Then my alarm bells went off. Either this is a guy who was willing to cut his arm willingly to make a point, or this is someone who should not be operating sharp knives. Or, and this is my third guess, is that this might have been a scheme to extract Spyderco out of money due to the fact that he got hurt by following instructions provided to him on an " official Spyderco website", and he was going for a law suit or a out if court settlement due to him getting cut using a knife, sharpening equipment, and guidance and advice from an official forum ( by the owner himself).

He became a liability. The weird thing is that a few days before i saw the same weird questions pop up on Blade Forum. This guy asked question after question until he made the mistake of asking a question about an Omega spring ( Benchmade). I called him out that for a newbie that asked silly question it was suprising he knew what an omega spring is and why it's used.

In any way, he became a liability to himself and Spyderco in the end. But i'm certain that if he is a knife afficianado he will pop up sooner or later. He did seem to have a Chaparral and that is not a knife someone brand new in knife collection would buy. People who like silent opening, blood proof blades, extreme corrosion resistance and handles that won't bend when you sit on it tend to be attracted to mall ninja stuff and not an gentleman's knife like the Chaparral.
Just my two cents
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I prefer to ignore stuff like this but here it goes.

I also gave answers, some were helpful, some might have seemed harsh, but you know what... Sometimes the truth hurts.

Also this person was an adult, who can make their own decisions, seemed to have a habit of not listening to the advice given, and in my opinion asked some stupid questions. Also he asked some things that could have been found with searching and didnt need a thread.

Barring some disability or learning disorder or something, then I dont have much sympathy.

I like the tone of this forum much more than the rest of the internet. I think its a special place. But there is a difference between shiny footprints and tolerating repeated ignorance.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
James Y

Post by James Y »

I’m only going to give one post on this.

I had a feeling the guy was a troll from the start, but I tried to help him in a couple of his threads. His style of posting and starting simultaneous multiple threads asking the exact same question is exactly the same as a troll on Bladeforums who repeatedly started threads about “If the lock fails on my locking knife, will I cut off all of my fingers?” The only difference is he went under a different screen name on BF, and didn’t claim to be from Spain. People tried to help him there, too. And like the guy here, he always ignored the helpful advice he was given. Then he was either on the brink of being banned, or was banned outright.

About a week later, “damiand ” showed up here, posting in the exact same style. Coincidence?

Still, I never insulted him. What’s the point of insulting another person on a forum? I did rib him once, in my last post to him on his “removing a wire clip” thread, saying he should use wire cutters. I have no regrets about that. He probably didn’t even read it.

It is clear that “damiand” simply joined to “take the piss out of” the forum members here, and it looks like he succeeded. Did he make me angry? No. There are many things in this world that one can be upset about; “damiand” isn’t one of them. I never give people like that the power to upset me. If anything, it was slightly amusing. Slightly. Especially seeing the inconsistencies in his lies. When it got old (which happened pretty quickly), I stopped reading his threads. Nobody has the power to cause dissention among other people unless those people allow themselves to be manipulated.

Jim
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Trolling? On the Internet? I am shocked! I tell you, shocked!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Nice post Jim, well said. I too tried to help the guy in his first couple threads. Once I realized he wasn't taking my repeated advice, I gave up. I felt something was off about him in general very early on and chose to stay out of the rest of his threads, though I read through them throughout the day. Being one with no patience myself and easily lash out (been working on that!)...I have to say I was surprised by a few people that never get worked up around here! That told me, this guy is becoming a serious problem.

I began to actually be interested in seeing his new threads pop up. I knew they would be ridiculous, which was also a bit fun because we don't have anything quite like that around here. Not since good ole SEF was around haha!!

It's probably best for the forum that he's gone, but I do hope it was done by the moderators and not him truly feeling like an outsider (we have no idea who this person was, and I sincerely hope it wasn't someone that was truly trying to learn and understand). I will say though, I'm leaning towards him being someone that wanted to catch a rise out of folks.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:30 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:25 am
how do we know he was deleted by mods instead of him deleting his own account and leaving?

i just posted this in the chaparral safety thread where he claimed to cut himself every time he opens his knife. i honestly find it troubling. i haven't seen any word from moderators addressing his activity here, so i'm more inclined to believe he left on his own. i wish they'd chime in and set the record straight.

...and this is what I replied there (for anyone who did not read it there and might be interested)

"Actually just mods can delete an account, but members can´t.

So it was 100% certain a decision by Kristi or Michael (or another mod I am not aware of) to do this.
But we don´t know the reason, could be anything between having prove he was a troll and to actually protect him..."
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

JRinFL wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:33 am
StuntZombie wrote:
Well said, thank you.
If it is my true nature to defend good people from those who would take advantage of them and waste their time and patience for sport... so be it.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:16 am

It's probably best for the forum that he's gone, but I do hope it was done by the moderators and not him truly feeling like an outsider (we have no idea who this person was, and I sincerely hope it wasn't someone that was truly trying to learn and understand). I will say though, I'm leaning towards him being someone that wanted to catch a rise out of folks.

It was done by the mods, cause they are the only ones who actually can.

/ And the highlighted part really speaks for you, but if this was the case, he would have had to learn first HOW to actually learn and understand. (This is why in my last reply directly to him I offered him to pm me, "if he needed help not(!) concerning folders")