Chaparral safety

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Mastiff

Re: Chaparral safety

Post by The Mastiff »

by Jerome Howard » 21 Jan 2022 20:15
This is some funny stuff. I had a good laugh. Nobody can be that stupid. Well, maybe not. I watch the news.
No offense but I'm confused. Your name is The 3 Stooges "Curly"' real name but your avatar is Frank Zappa. I feel like it's some kind of test. :thinking

:)
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:04 am
I don’t know if the is the white wolf coming back or if we are being used as some test bed for some artificial intelligence.

What I do know is that the overall response from the forum towards him is not what I usually expect around here. There are a lot of new members and some are getting pretty involved in this. It does nobody any favors to attack him. Either offer honest advice or look away. The culture around here has traditionally been to take the high road. It’s what keeps things so civil and it is how we manage to operate with minimal moderation.
Well said and hope all of us can move on . We are wasting a lot of energy trying to climb a hill covered in oil . As a member I have lost count how many Forum members have reached to help me and others , that’s something I cherish and isn’t that we are known to do ? Where is all this leading to but nothing good . Respectfully to all , Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
attila

Post by attila »

Well, damiand has been deleted...
6E4AD5BA-47D2-4C70-97A0-7627304519E6.png
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

phaust wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:38 pm
If you don't like his threads, just don't post in them. Better yet, don't click on them.
I’ve said this in more than one thread. Unfortunately, it gets ignored instead of what should actually be ignored.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

attila wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:19 pm

That was unexpected.
So it goes.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

attila wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:19 pm

6E4AD5BA-47D2-4C70-97A0-7627304519E6.png
Glad to see the moderators stepping in. It was funny at first, but got a little annoying after the 5th or 6th thread. :eye-roll
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
attila

Post by attila »

I was getting legitimately curious about his opening method: it must be silent, it is performed two-handed, and he cuts himself every time.

It just sounds so strange that it’s intriguing!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
What I do know is that the overall response from the forum towards him is not what I usually expect around here.
JRinFL wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:
So much this. I wanted to make a similar post, but had not gotten around to it. BFK is wise, listen to him.
Mushroom wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:13 am
“This guy is asking questions that I know the answer too, he’s a troll!”
Now that damiands account has been deleted anyway, I may say

- I do agree with you all in principle.
- But I still think: Everyone who wants to weigh in on this particular case imho really has to read every (single) post damiand made in every single of the quite many threads he started (not necessarily talking about you ( I quoted here), I guess you actually have!) - this is something very unusual.
- There is a difference between ridiculing someone ... or just by logic almost having to come to the conclusion that it makes no sense to give advice anymore - either because this guy IS a "troll" indeed, or - for whatever reason - just can´t take any advice, will ask the same question again and again, without ever trying out what people suggested and/or will find in any reply the next thing to worry about.
Also, the confusingly inconsistent picture he painted of himself just strongly suggests: troll... or something else must be wrong, without offense towards damiand ("knife has to hold up for ten years and almost can´t afford a torx driver... but plans to buy a Techno 2" / "has used knives for a long time, also in his job,, but has unbelievably little knowledge and skills;" / .Pretends (?) he´d be using a translator.... but posts in very proper English, in a form and perfection I´ve never seen any translator being able to create.... and so on)

I personally really tried to help him out a lot anyway - concerning his questions, but also by trying to tell him several times just not to worry too much.
And, in defense of some other forumnites: Pretty early on I too could not help but just feel in my guts but even more so also just by logic like I actually got just pranked here. Did not care though, cause this would really not hurt me and our replies here might help others reading in this forum anyway, regardless if damiand is actually "real", and/or can profit himself from our advises (which I strongly doubt).
I actually think many here still tried to help him out, even after things began to become pretty weird.

Anyway: Damiand, should you read this: Whoever/ whatever you might be, all the best to you and have fun with your Spydercos.
And should all your issues be real (which I doubt, and my apologies should I be wrong): Stop worrying about almost everything you can possibly find, perhaps seek help and be very cautious when using your knives.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I answered seriously plenty of times, even asked his mother tongue in pm just to actually find him an interlocutor that he could listen to.

Nothing. And this thread was weirder than the others imo
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

how do we know he was deleted by mods instead of him deleting his own account and leaving?

this was the thread that did it for me too. i tried defending him and answering him, despite being annoyed by the frequent nonsense he was posting. after reading pretty much everything he had been posting and then seeing this thread, it was pretty clear that the inconsistencies were not just a language barrier, or age, or even lack of experience.

i hope we will have a nice reprieve from these posts and they'll fade into the archives, but i still have a nagging feeling that there could be someone that was basically bullied into leaving and that doesn't sit right with me, regardless of how tired i was of seeing his posts.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:25 am
how do we know he was deleted by mods instead of him deleting his own account and leaving?

this was the thread that did it for me too. i tried defending him and answering him, despite being annoyed by the frequent nonsense he was posting. after reading pretty much everything he had been posting and then seeing this thread, it was pretty clear that the inconsistencies were not just a language barrier, or age, or even lack of experience.

i hope we will have a nice reprieve from these posts and they'll fade into the archives, but i still have a nagging feeling that there could be someone that was basically bullied into leaving and that doesn't sit right with me, regardless of how tired i was of seeing his posts.
Also well said. Nothing about the whole situation sits well with me, not the posts and not majorities response to the posts. I feel we were tested and found wanting.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

JRinFL wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:37 am
ladybug93 wrote:

Also well said. Nothing about the whole situation sits well with me, not the posts and not majorities response to the posts. I feel we were tested and found wanting.
+1
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

ladybug93 wrote:

The user was bullied into leaving. That’s the most shameful part about all of this.

And it’s not like anyone can just deny this either, because there’s proof of it in every thread he created.

I don’t care how much nonsense he contributed, he was consistently treated poorly by numerous members of this forum. Something he never did to anyone here.

I know there are some people who are proud of themselves right now. Taking a victory lap because the the user they’ve been targeting and asking to be cancelled finally has been.

The more and more this forum turns into Facebook, the less is will feel a desire to contribute anything here.
-Nick :bug-red
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Well if it was trolling it was of a very impressive and patient level. And everyone defending him got played.

If it wasnt then as I said in the other thread, barring some disability or learning disorder or something, then I dont have much sympathy.

I wont tolerate someone wasting my time in the real world and I want tolerate it here. He asked questions where the answer could have been found with searching but he clearly never made an attempt to do a search. I even told him in one thread he needs to look this stuff up before making a thread. He made more new threads in a month than I have in a year. He asked for advice and then seemed to not listen to it. As soon as advice was given on one issue theres a new thread with some new ridiculous concern. Some of the things being said just seemed dumb.

Theres being bullied, and then theres being tolerated until you are finally told to go home and/or catch some crap for not listening.

As far as I know this person wasnt insulted based upon appearance, intelligence, beliefs, location, sex, sexual preference, etc.
They were basically told to F off after a number of ridiculous post.

And for the record I dont think I was ever too harsh towards this person in his threads. I did say if he cant open a knife without cutting himself then he probably shouldnt use one, but I would also tell someone who got in a wreck every time they drove that they shouldnt use a car. The point of this post was for me to play devils advocate for the people defending him. Why are you defending someone who doesnt search for their own info, makes ignorant and contradictory claims, and doesnt follow advice given?
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Being told you’re too dumb to buy a compression lock knife is both insulting and bullying. You may not have been one to tell him that but multiple other people did.

Hiding behind passive aggressiveness isn’t going to work. The user was insulted almost every time they posted. It would have been less insulting to straight up tell them to F off than what most members here did.

Either way, cancel culture wins again! (Unfortunately)
-Nick :bug-red
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Yes but cancel culture and wokeness and whatever else all works both ways, and frankly stupidity or willfull ignorance should not be tolerated or defended. This isnt cancel culture in the sense of denying history or trampeling on the first amendment rights of another person. This is someone who is going to continue to waste your time. Eventually you have to distance yourself from that.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Hey Mushroom, maybe i should have been nicer to him as well. But until the last post i still tried to help him ( learning to open a Spyderco blade without cutting himself every time) so i gave him the advice to look it up at youtube. He is gone now. Maybe we can all try to learn from this experience. I know in the past people who are now valued members of this forum got banned from Bladeforums . Everyone has to learn from his/ her mistakes. Starting infighting after the fact that he left or got booted out is bad and won't help us or the forum.
The treatment Damiand got was like any group treats a new member who doesn't abide to the social rules in the group. They get send outside (temporarily) to think about their behaviour. That is not cancel culture. If tomorrow Damiand comes back under a different name and behaves and reads and learns nobody is holding that against him and he will be accepted again. I know this is the internet but social psychology also plays a role on this forum.
But if he was a troll he left you, and me because i otherwise would not reply to you, with a bad feeling.
That's not ok.
The sad part is that if Damiand was real he will have the same experience his whole life on and on in every social group he joins. Is that sad? Yes it is. But i'm here to learn and enjoy my time, i'm not obliged to help him or get my time wasted by some punk as kid who thinks it's fun to mess with people's minds ( if he is a troll) . And i don't like it when people instill me with feelings of guilt because we socially ousted him after a while. When Sal, and while i sometimes do criticize Spyderco myself, gets disrespected because he does not provide a Spanish version of the Sharpmaker, it gets under my nerves. It seems something about our behaviour against Damiand struck a nerve with you, and i don't know why. If i offended you i appologize. But this is not a small minority group pushing their extremist agenda by using social networking to cancel People. This was plain and simple group psychology.
Someone wrote about the old dogs and a puppy who acts foolish around him. That is what we did. Damiand had to know that his behaviour was not liked by the group and he got plenty of feedback that his behaviour was seen as odd by this social group. He was not bullied. We didn't pick on him because he was the odd kid.
Maybe we can learn from this. Maybe there could be some mentorship for new members who don't have the knowledge we all missed when first joined. Feel free to volunteer. And Damiand was offered a free knife, and me and other members send him a few PM's to help him with the so called language barrier. Damiand did not reach out to these held out helping hands but he did play the victim afterwards.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

It feels a bit like when someone gets on the ‘bus and makes an irritating fuss, and you only then realise they’re special needs. You were annoyed, then feel guilty for having been annoyed, and then just sad because although it’s only a small moment for you, it’s a lifetime for them.
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Taking that small moment to reinforce the need for mental health is always time well spent. It is awkward and hard to say in a compassionate way. It is nice having Nick Shabazz as a resource in the knife community to steer people to.

https://youtu.be/9IqpIO3bc_A
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

damiand wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:14 pm
The Mastiff wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:53 pm
You all are really unpleasant. One expects a serious answer, and they come up with this **** for 5-year-olds. I'm 18 and I'm already big. I've used knifes for long.

I'm only looking for a thicker cutting edge/blade knife with characteristics similar to Chaparral like being small like the Dragonfly and highest edge retention and corrosion resistance.

I made this thread with hopes of a more helpful answer, because I don't have $1,000 if I cut a tendon from sharpening my Chaparral! I'm a newbie and I only get teased from all of you.I just want to take a precaution if buying from this brand is already expensive for me.
The best thing we can do is answer you honestly. You are giving the impression to me that you should not have a knife in your possession. At the very least maybe you can find a safety course to take. If you mean "thicker cutting edge" as you want a duller knife that is pretty easy . Any sharp edge will easily cut you when you mess up. Either learn not to mess up or give up knife carry. I honestly think you should ask your care provider/parent to teach you or help you find a course like the one the boy scouts use to give for the "totin chip" or whatever they call it. ( here is the course outline ) https://www.bsa344.com/Totin%20Chip%20Lesson%20Plan.pdf . Until you do at least that much you should not carry your knife in my opinion.
I don't want a dull edge. I want a thicker cutting edge, maybe the Chaparral blade is not suitable for me.
Hi mate, maybe a good option for you would be the lil native, it now comes in backlock and its blade stock is a lot thicker than the Chap.
Its a nice small size and is a great knife.
Having said that, it still gets real sharp so you'll have to be careful.
Good luck.