Hawkbill utility

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: Hawkbill utility

Post by JD Spydo »

For the past 10 years I've used a serrated Spyderco Hawkbill as a companion blade. My favorite Hawkbill blades are Spyderco's Harpy, Spyderhawk along with the TASMAN and Merlin models.

I don't think any company has better Hawkbill blades. The Harpy is one of their oldest models in the line up that is still produced.

It's been kind of amazing to me how the Dragonfly Hawkbill and Ladybug Hawkbills have gained so much popularity. Those smaller models are just too small for what I mainly use a Hawkbill blade for. But if the smaller Hawkbill models work better for some people then more power to them.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

SE isn't better, it's different. That's true of hawkbills and regular knives. Depends on how you like to make your cuts. In the interview Eric just did he was mentioning there are subtle differences in freshly sharpened plain edges between different steels. In a gross generalization I'd say SE is a more aggressive but rougher cut, and PE a less aggressive but cleaner cut. If I wanted to cut something in half and put it back together so it looked like it hadn't been cut I wouldn't use a serrated knife. If you were splicing reel to reel tape together you'd use a razor blade, not a serrated edge. SE is very very useful and maintains the longest working edge vs. PE. That said I prefer the way PE cuts.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I carry a SE hB Ladybug everyday in an urban environment and to date it’s never let me down. Maybe I’ve adapted to it but I find it just plain handy.

Recently I’d been running air line with push in fittings which required fixing with cable ties and I forgot my little Bug and only had a Military in my lunch box.

Ever tried cutting cable ties overhead with a plain edge folder? Ah, hahaha! Side cutters were way easier but not as good as the Mighty Little Ladybug.

I’ve been using a PE HB Tasman for several years now as my only fish cleaning knife and ever time I use it I wonder how I ever got by without it. I can’t remember the last time I sharpened it but that was straight off a diamond rod on the SM.

I actually last used the knife to clean the little fish below on Saturday afternoon. The course edge opens bellies like they’re not there and the HB allows me to hook under gill plates and just cut them out. Definitely the very best knife I’ve ever used to clean fish.

Little Dusky Flathead pinned to a 3” Soft Plastic on a 1/4oz jig head.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:15 pm
I carry a SE hB Ladybug everyday in an urban environment and to date it’s never let me down. Maybe I’ve adapted to it but I find it just plain handy.

Recently I’d been running air line with push in fittings which required fixing with cable ties and I forgot my little Bug and only had a Military in my lunch box.

Ever tried cutting cable ties overhead with a plain edge folder? Ah, hahaha! Side cutters were way easier but not as good as the Mighty Little Ladybug.

I’ve been using a PE HB Tasman for several years now as my only fish cleaning knife and ever time I use it I wonder how I ever got by without it. I can’t remember the last time I sharpened it but that was straight off a diamond rod on the SM.

I actually last used the knife to clean the little fish below on Saturday afternoon. The course edge opens bellies like they’re not there and the HB allows me to hook under gill plates and just cut them out. Definitely the very best knife I’ve ever used to clean fish.

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/85MQRbQN/DF7-FAE28 ... -C4736.jpg[/img

Well Bloke, hope you're happy - you just sold another LB Hawkbill! :eye-roll ;) It's supposed to arrive this Saturday. I'm thinking it'll pair nicely with my Shirogorov F95 in Vanax.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
olywa

Post by olywa »

Bloke - just wondering if you've tried to fillet with that knife. If so, you gotta let me see your technique.

But really, most of the fish I catch I just gut, gill and head 'em. I bet that Tasman PE does excel at that. Now I really do have to order one.
olywa

Post by olywa »

Appreciate the tip on the Byrd Hawkbill guys. Unfortunately, I have employed my strongest google-fu and still can't locate one at any reputable shop on the interwebs. I was impressed by the reviews and the price though.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Bloke wrote:

Bloke,

About 13 months ago, I purchased a SE Ladybug Hawkbill Salt, mainly due to your posts about this model. IMO, it takes the best advantage of a knife that size. It makes an ideal backup knife to whatever knife is my main carry.

Thanks!

Jim
max808

Post by max808 »

Most excellent thread this...
:respect :bug-white-red :usflag :bug-white-red :respect
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

If I remember right a while back I talked Alex into getting a hawkbill dragonfly, and much to my chagrin he still prefers the hawkbill ladybug.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
James Y

Post by James Y »

One of the great things about the SE Ladybug Hawkbill Salt is that it can be used almost without detection. For example, if in “polite” company, I can open a box or package with my index finger draped over the back of the blade, which hides the knife and almost gives the illusion I’m cutting with the tip of my finger.

Jim
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:57 pm
Bloke wrote:

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/85MQRbQN/DF7-FAE28 ... -C4736.jpg[/img

Well Bloke, hope you're happy - you just sold another LB Hawkbill! :eye-roll ;) It's supposed to arrive this Saturday. I'm thinking it'll pair nicely with my Shirogorov F95 in Vanax.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:59 am
If I remember right a while back I talked Alex into getting a hawkbill dragonfly, and much to my chagrin he still prefers the hawkbill ladybug.
Hey Matt, you didn’t indeed mate. It’s another great knife and I’m grateful I took your advice.

It’s just that the Ladybug is smaller and less conspicuous is all.

As it goes, a couple of months back our son and his family moved to live in Nicaragua, yes Nicaragua. The Covid BS gave them only a small window to leave the country without vaccination and I didn’t have time to buy them anything.

He wants to take up fishing too over there so I gave him my Dragonfly SE HB, to clean fish and I hope Gringo doesn’t read this but I gave him my Waterway as well to fillet with and a couple of grand to buy himself some decent fishing gear.

Hopefully he does use them and appreciates their value. I’ll visit before too long I hope, and if they’re sitting idle collecting dust, I’ll take them back. Ah, hahaha!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

The Meat man wrote:
Well Bloke, hope you're happy - you just sold another LB Hawkbill! :eye-roll ;)
Ah, hahaha! You won’t regret it, Connor.
Thank me after you’ve had it for fifteen minutes. Ah, hahaha! :winking-tongue
olywa wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:16 pm
Bloke - just wondering if you've tried to fillet with that knife. If so, you gotta let me see your technique.

But really, most of the fish I catch I just gut, gill and head 'em. I bet that Tasman PE does excel at that. Now I really do have to order one.
Hi olywa, I haven’t actually filleted a fish with any hawksbill knife but next fish I jag, I’ll give it a go for you and report back. Hopefully I’ll go out this arvo.

Either ways. You won’t go wrong with any HB Salt knife Spyderco make. :smlling-eyes
James Y wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:58 am
Bloke,

About 13 months ago, I purchased a SE Ladybug Hawkbill Salt, mainly due to your posts about this model. IMO, it takes the best advantage of a knife that size. It makes an ideal backup knife to whatever knife is my main carry.

Thanks!

Jim
Definitely, Jim! Just plain handy and capable way beyond its diminutive size. :cheap-sunglasses
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Hi Matt, you certainly did mate and I’m grateful for it. :cheap-sunglasses

The Dragonfly SE HB is yet another excellent knife and I very much like it. It’s just that the little Ladybug is so in conspicuous as Jim states in his last post.

Either ways how could anyone go wrong with any of the SE or PE HB Salt knives?

P.S. Apologies for the late reply fellas. I’d been down the coast to see a mates new Stock Horse, help mark calves, play cowboy in general and drink copious amounts of alcohol. :nauseated
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:28 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Hey Matt, you didn’t indeed mate. It’s another great knife and I’m grateful I took your advice.

It’s just that the Ladybug is smaller and less conspicuous is all.

As it goes, a couple of months back our son and his family moved to live in Nicaragua, yes Nicaragua. The Covid BS gave them only a small window to leave the country without vaccination and I didn’t have time to buy them anything.

He wants to take up fishing too over there so I gave him my Dragonfly SE HB, to clean fish and I hope Gringo doesn’t read this but I gave him my Waterway as well to fillet with and a couple of grand to buy himself some decent fishing gear.

Hopefully he does use them and appreciates their value. I’ll visit before too long I hope, and if they’re sitting idle collecting dust, I’ll take them back. Ah, hahaha!
that's good of you. I hope he does appreciate it.

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:42 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Well I've used it for a few things so far, and it's worked fine. I just need to find me a 5 gallon bucket, now... :winking-tongue
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:36 pm
Bloke wrote:
The Meat man wrote:
Well I've used it for a few things so far, and it's worked fine. I just need to find me a 5 gallon bucket, now... :winking-tongue
The little knife will laugh at a 5 gallon bucket. See if you can’t find a 44 gallon drum. Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :winking-tongue
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Bloke wrote:
play cowboy in general

:winking-tongue
- Connor

olywa

Post by olywa »

I've got the little Ladybug HB and plan on getting the Dragonfly 2 HB next. I'll work my way up to the Tasman eventually. Having some difficulty locating the newest iteration of the Dragonfly with the all black hardware.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:39 pm
Bloke wrote:
play cowboy in general
:winking-tongue
Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha. ah, hahaha!
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

olywa wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:31 pm
That being said, I want to explore Hawkbills further and I'm thinking of picking up a Tasman Salt PE and putting a coarse edge on it. I would prefer that to using and maintaining a serrated edge. I have absolutely no need for it in a defensive capacity so I'm wondering about other's experience using one of these for EDC general use, if there is indeed a case to be made. Tell me what I've been missing and why I should just go ahead and pull the trigger.
I personally find hawkbills too extreme for EDC general use carry, but I love reverse S blades for EDC and utility use. I think it's worth considering the Lil Matriarch over the Tasman Salt which feels like I'm carrying a small sickle to me for an EDC knife. The Lil Matriarch gives you a mild hawkbill in the front which is nice for utility and has the benefit of some belly for push cutting.

The plain edge is still available at http://bentoboxshop.com/
-Turbo