A knife designed by the forum

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you enjoy designing a knife in collaborating with this whole forum?

Yes
56%
No
44%

Total votes: 102

JRinFL

Re: A knife designed by the forum

Post by JRinFL »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:20 am
Jim Malone wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:48 am
I won't participate. I have seen this question pop up every year and everyone wanted a different version. It was a very difficult excercise to choose a forum knife in the past. So i guess choosing the ultimate knife everyone loves is extremely difficult.
But who am i to curb your enthousiasm. Go for it
For as long as I’ve been a forum user, this idea has never been presented. Did you read the original post or just the title?
JRinFL wrote: I still say no, but you all want to do it as a thought experiment, go for it. All of the participants should publicly promise to not get your nose out of shape when others in the group disagree or discount your ideas.
I think a large number of people took this thread way too seriously. (Like wayyyyyy too seriously)
I’m almost 100% positive that the original intention of this thread was supposed to be all in good fun.
Every forum knife discussion is very similar to this and breaks down into various camps that cannot agree on a final product. This is even more involved than that, so Jim's point is still valid, IMO.

Way too serious? I don't agree, but I cannot form a valid counter argument, so point to you.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Agreed. This is obviously a long shot and we all know this. The op even called it a crazy idea. It could have been a fun thread full of knife knuts talking about knives, how we use them and what we like about them. Instead it’s something else. No need to stomp on each other’s birthday cakes.

I know nobody wants what I want, a four inch tip down only folder and a 10inch 16-20oz chopper. I still want to talk about it. I would have played along.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Danke

Post by Danke »

Can it be a silent opening version? Because I feel like I could really get into that.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Danke wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:52 am
Can it be a silent opening version? Because I feel like I could really get into that.
Thread winner!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Cl1ff wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:00 pm
Silly rant warning for this first part…

I get the idea behind that camel saying, but my biology nerd self doesn’t jive with it.
Camel’s are perfectly adapted to their environment, an incredibly successful group of animals both today and throughout their evolutionary history, and are just as efficient and widespread domesticated livestock as horses.
The saying just makes no sense except possibly from entirely subjective aesthetic preference for the form of a horse over a camel’s.
Anyway, don’t mind me! I just had to let that out because I’m a nerd, sorry for the off/topic rant.
—————-

Back on topic, I suggest that the way this becomes a worthwhile project is to not take it so seriously (as hypocritical as that may seem after my above rant 😅). Just discuss and share ideas about what YOU want in a Spyderco knife as well as what you’re willing to compromise on.

It’s unlikely/impossible to result in a finished product we can claim the forum, in its entirety, agrees upon. However, such an experiment should at least be fun, potentially enlightening, and maybe even useful for designers watching the thread. Knowing where people say they’ll give an inch or draw the line can be invaluable knowledge.
Yeah. I'm hoping that this could be helpful to Sal and Eric and give them a better idea of what the consumer wants.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:20 am
Jim Malone wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:48 am
I won't participate. I have seen this question pop up every year and everyone wanted a different version. It was a very difficult excercise to choose a forum knife in the past. So i guess choosing the ultimate knife everyone loves is extremely difficult.
But who am i to curb your enthousiasm. Go for it
For as long as I’ve been a forum user, this idea has never been presented. Did you read the original post or just the title?
JRinFL wrote: I still say no, but you all want to do it as a thought experiment, go for it. All of the participants should publicly promise to not get your nose out of shape when others in the group disagree or discount your ideas.
I think a large number of people took this thread way too seriously. (Like wayyyyyy too seriously)
I’m almost 100% positive that the original intention of this thread was supposed to be all in good fun.
Agreed. I don't think that any of the people who voted "yes" actually expect that there's much of a chance that a knife will actually be made. Either some people took it too seriously or they thought that the idea is too much of a headache to coordinate, which might be true. But I dunno... Seems like fun to me.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Oloung1

Post by Oloung1 »

Closer than I expected so far:
47 yay
32 nay
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Paraguy wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:58 am
Cl1ff wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:00 pm
Silly rant warning for this first part…

I get the idea behind that camel saying, but my biology nerd self doesn’t jive with it.
Camel’s are perfectly adapted to their environment, an incredibly successful group of animals both today and throughout their evolutionary history, and are just as efficient and widespread domesticated livestock as horses.
The saying just makes no sense except possibly from entirely subjective aesthetic preference for the form of a horse over a camel’s.
Anyway, don’t mind me! I just had to let that out because I’m a nerd, sorry for the off/topic rant.
—————-

Back on topic, I suggest that the way this becomes a worthwhile project is to not take it so seriously (as hypocritical as that may seem after my above rant 😅). Just discuss and share ideas about what YOU want in a Spyderco knife as well as what you’re willing to compromise on.

It’s unlikely/impossible to result in a finished product we can claim the forum, in its entirety, agrees upon. However, such an experiment should at least be fun, potentially enlightening, and maybe even useful for designers watching the thread. Knowing where people say they’ll give an inch or draw the line can be invaluable knowledge.
Yeah. I'm hoping that this could be helpful to Sal and Eric and give them a better idea of what the consumer wants.
This forum is and has always been out of touch with the massive bulk of the Spyderco customer base.
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

I like this idea a lot. I saw 3 posts that actually talked constructively on making/designing a knife on this forum.

One post asked for a dodo-fly (a very cool idea.)

Another post asked for a large blade.

I conceded both ideas and then made it my own. I have for a while wanted a folding knife with front serrations. If I do another draft of this knife, I would thicken the handles. The edge length alone is +4 inches

Tomorrow I will draw/share the marlin spike/Amalgum blade with Native Chief handle.
Attachments
E2253EF8-FD4C-4186-9126-9AB8CBA38D61.jpeg
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Thicker handles.
Attachments
F6C489AB-04FD-434F-82D8-2C521514F46E.jpeg

MNOSD 0009
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Kevinim82 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:01 am
I like this idea a lot. I saw 3 posts that actually talked constructively on making/designing a knife on this forum.

I conceded both ideas and then made it my own. I have for a while wanted a folding knife with front serrations. If I do another draft of this knife, I would thicken the handles. The edge length alone is +4 inches

Tomorrow I will draw/share the marlin spike/Amalgum blade with Native Chief handle.
I'll keep an eye out for the drawing. Have to see if we are on the same page.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

You can’t have your cake and eat it too. I looked at a lot of marlin spikes. I really like the blood grove ornamentation I discovered in a few examples. I am also a big fan of the tri angled blade found in an epee (lots of strength in a blade like that.) Problem; epee blade won’t fold into a pocket.

Amalgam blade is leaf shaped. To give strength and ergonomics of cutting I can’t see making this blade leaf shaped. I don’t see the spike having as much function and the blade having as much function with the leaf shape. Wharncliffe happened kinda naturally while drafting.

So it’s not quite a marlin spike, and it’s more a knife blade with a mean thrusting portion.

I think for a thrusting weapon a not super high flat grind would give more strength too.

Hope this is a good start. Tell me how I can adapt it.
Attachments
0B73C68A-C8FC-4F85-A475-D4FCB57681D6.jpeg
C2F71D98-0334-4397-9948-833476D7B376.jpeg

MNOSD 0009
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Kevinim82 wrote:

Great! Do you know of anyone who could do the coordinating? Cus I cant be on here 24/7
"Some call me...Tim?"
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Paraguy wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:47 pm
Kevinim82 wrote:

Great! Do you know of anyone who could do the coordinating? Cus I cant be on here 24/7
I am snowed in this weekend, and rather happy to draft what people come up with using words, or other drawings. It’s this or watch a movie. 😎

Please explain the coordinating aspects, I am lost to this request?

MNOSD 0009
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Kevinim82 wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:01 pm
Paraguy wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:47 pm
Kevinim82 wrote:

I am snowed in this weekend, and rather happy to draft what people come up with using words, or other drawings. It’s this or watch a movie. 😎

Please explain the coordinating aspects, I am lost to this request?
You could start with a thread asking for advice from others - I'm not the master of organization by any means. But I think having a few big polls and then having a poll with only two options as another member stated would be wise. Say for steel you could just ask what which steel ppl want and then make a poll with the top ten and then pare it down to two with a series of polls.
However, the first thing that needs to be done is to figure out what the knife will be used for. (take a look at the beginning of this thread)
"Some call me...Tim?"
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Tim, there are a little more than 85 post on this thread saying;
1. This is a good idea
2. This is a bad idea

I read all the post on this thread and I must say 3 people spoke productively about a knife idea they liked.

1st person asked for a dodo fly
2nd person asked for a knife as large or larger than an endura
So wanting a challenge I combined them.
3rd person wanted a marlin spike/amalgam/native chief

I like the idea of a knife designed by the forum. I just started drawing the ideas that were given.

You’ve got good start to dialogue here.

I am going to give you a little constructive statement. Polls haven’t gotten us a forum knife in more than 5 years.

Tim, what do you want in an edc that Spyderco isn’t offering now?

MNOSD 0009
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Kevinim82 wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:12 pm
1. This is a good idea
2. This is a bad idea

I read all the post on this thread and I must say 3 people spoke productively about a knife idea they liked.

I like the idea of a knife designed by the forum. I just started drawing the ideas that were given.

I am going to give you a little constructive statement. Polls haven’t gotten us a forum knife in more than 5 years.

My main interest in doing this would be to just see what the whole forum comes up with collectively. We cant start drawing until we figure out what the whole forum wants. Or at least the majority wants. Spyderco already fits all my EDC needs.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

What's going on here? Did you just pawn this off on the new nurse? It's okay to just walk away from the idea...as Mr. O'Leary would say, "Take it behind the barn and shoot it.".
So it goes.
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Paraguy wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:38 pm
Kevinim82 wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:12 pm
1. This is a good idea
2. This is a bad idea

My main interest in doing this would be to just see what the whole forum comes up with collectively. We cant start drawing until we figure out what the whole forum wants. Or at least the majority wants. Spyderco already fits all my EDC needs.
I like your idea to make a forum knife. I don’t know how to make polls, or create options with words that would provoke good and thoughtful dialogue.

My skills are with drawing out concepts and ideas, and going from there.

I wish you luck Paraguy, I don’t think I am your guy for this part of the project. I will wait for a polished out idea.

If I see a Civivi Elementum with a hole in it, I will be giving it 3 camel humps.
-Kevin

MNOSD 0009
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Airlsee wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:06 pm
What's going on here? Did you just pawn this off on the new nurse? It's okay to just walk away from the idea...as Mr. O'Leary would say, "Take it behind the barn and shoot it.".
Hahahah!!!! Very direct sir!

*Old nurse, new to the VA.

If it dies and no one steals the carcass, I might poke at it.

MNOSD 0009