Chaparral safety

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RustyIron

Re: Chaparral safety

Post by RustyIron »

Awww... this is so cute... like watching Animal Planet.

The elder dogs are laying around snoozin', and the young pup scampers up jumping around yippin' and yappin' and jumpin' on everyone's heads. They tolerate it for a while, but pretty soon they're gonna get all growly and someone's gonna get bit. It's the law of the jungle.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Maybe we should stop giving Damiand advice before it becomes a liability.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:05 pm
Should you need help not concerning folders : Feel free to pm me.
Wartstein, you are a good person. Its a shame some will take advantage. Thanks for all the help.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Use the safety rods on the sharpmaker.
Cutting yourself during sharpening shouldn't happen on this system. A knife is always dangerous and you should be careful, use the safety rods.
Last edited by Ramonade on Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Yes Warstein, you are a great person. Probably because he's Bavarian... Nice people there.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Or we could call Netflix for a new documentary. " The search for Damiand, how one man was saved from harm by a knife community"
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I don’t know if the is the white wolf coming back or if we are being used as some test bed for some artificial intelligence.

What I do know is that the overall response from the forum towards him is not what I usually expect around here. There are a lot of new members and some are getting pretty involved in this. It does nobody any favors to attack him. Either offer honest advice or look away. The culture around here has traditionally been to take the high road. It’s what keeps things so civil and it is how we manage to operate with minimal moderation.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:04 am
I don’t know if the is the white wolf coming back or if we are being used as some test bed for some artificial intelligence.

What I do know is that the overall response from the forum towards him is not what I usually expect around here. There are a lot of new members and some are getting pretty involved in this. It does nobody any favors to attack him. Either offer honest advice or look away. The culture around here has traditionally been to take the high road. It’s what keeps things so civil and it is how we manage to operate with minimal moderation.
So much this. I wanted to make a similar post, but had not gotten around to it. BFK is wise, listen to him.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

I've offered a sincere reply in one of the many threads started by OP, but he's obviously a troll. Why would you need 1k euros in Spain to go to the hospital?
Things don't connect, and the questions are becoming more and more material of twilight zone.
MNOSD member 0011
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

“This guy is asking questions that I know the answer too, he’s a troll!”

“This guy keeps asking questions about a knife he bought, he’s a troll”

“This guy didn’t respond directly to my response to him, he’s a troll”

“I speak fluent English and this guy doesn’t, he’s a troll.”

“This guys asks too many questions, he’s a troll.”

“This guy has personal preferences that are different than mine, he’s a troll.”

———

Honestly, the only trolls here are the same users that feel the need to attack the OP every time he posts. Your ad hominem attacks toward the OP in these threads does not help anything.

There are some genuinely good people on this forum who are willing to help. Whether or not the OP gets any benefit from their assistance, I personally appreciate their willingness to help. It creates a positive atmosphere on the forums and it speaks volumes about their character! :respect
-Nick :bug-red
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

This is not surprising.
Maybe you can use the money from purchasing the Techno 2 to pay for some plastic surgery or just buy a case of superglue since cuts seems to be a recurring problem.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:13 am
i agree that the personal attacks are unwarranted, but i also understand the frustration. i have a lot of experience with language barriers and tried to be understanding. i tried to defend the op. his posts are completely overboard in every case though. he's not listening to advice. his complaints are continuously contradictory, and i'm not just talking about language issues... in one post, he can't afford knives or hospital care, and in the next, he's thinking about buying a more expensive knife when he can't handle the one he has. in one post, he's saying that he cuts a lot of cardboard every day at work, but in the next, he can't open his knife without cutting himself every time. with each post, it gets harder to believe he's here for sincere reasons.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

People, you are being too harsh.

Op might be new to knife and is experiencing his first bites. We've all been there.

However, it's not the fault of the chaparral and if anything, you would have done way worse when another knife. The chaparral is one of the safest knife out there thanks to his thin blade and its compact blade. A bigger, beefier blade would have done way worse damage.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

damiand wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:06 pm
Chaparral is a safety concern!!

No! Operator malfunction!
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
attila

Post by attila »

damiand wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:06 pm
Hello .

Every time i open my Chaparral, I always get cut (my finger). I try to open my knife less to avoid being cut. However every time I open my knife it rubs against my finger. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. (I'm doing silent opening).
Hello,

I’m confused by your description. Please provide a video of how you open this knife.

Thank you.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

So, I do not get it either, maybe the translation from spanish to english (and then from english to french in my case) is really messing up the meaning.
The cuts happen during sharpening or the opening and closing of the knife? I'm not sure.

Because I also managed to cut myself several time with the lockbar on my chaparral ! The corners are pretty sharp.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
phaust

Post by phaust »

If you don't like his threads, just don't post in them. Better yet, don't click on them.

"Leave shiny footprints," as Sal says.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Thank you, damiand, for your many Chaparral posts of late.. I haven't carried mine in quite a while and you've inspired me to dig it out of my sock drawer and give it some pocket time..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:04 am

Here, here, Darby!

I for one am embarrassed and sorry for my stupid replies even though I don’t think I was nasty.

It’s always a shame when we drop our standards and go to the lowest common denominator, besides ole mate hasn’t been offensive in any way and he’s stuck to his own threads without disrupting any others. Plus, he’s probably rolling around the floor laughing that a mob of knife knuts who get so uptight over nothing at all really.

I don’t think we need moderators to step in. People like this are actually good entertainment and a change from the norm. He’ll get bored soon enough and we’ll all wonder what happened to him.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Jerome Howard

Post by Jerome Howard »

This is some funny stuff. I had a good laugh. Nobody can be that stupid. Well, maybe not. I watch the news.