Sage 5 LW

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Sage 5 LW

Post by Wartstein »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:36 pm
This thread is making me want one even more. I need to sell a few knives before I get anymore.
Pretty much the same here...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

I can’t imagine anyone being anything other than thrilled with the sage 5 lw. It’s probably my favorite medium sized Spyderco…beating out the para 3, chaparral and it hurts to say, maybe even the delica.

The fit and finish on mine are top of the line, its operation is highly satisfying and solid, the ergonomics are spot on, it somehow manages to be both slicey and substantial at the same time and it’s one of the few models I truly don’t feel guilty about flicking because the stop pin and pivot are so diesel. It’s always my recommended first Spyderco as a result. Yeah, it’s kind of plain jane and middle of the road but that’s just another benefit to me. I don’t mind carrying it under any circumstance and I’d be bummed if I lost it…but it would also be among my easiest to replace.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I've had three examples now and I'm convinced this is one of the most well made knives spyderco has ever made.
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

I totally agree with abbazaba, I think this is the best version of the compression lock that Spyderco have made so far…
bjz

Post by bjz »

Darn you all!!! Such enablers
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

A model with liners feels far better built than a comparable liner-less model. The very small weight savings isn’t worth the the “flimsy” feeling and difference in smoothness of action, in my opinion. The Sage 5 LW is the perfect example of this. Just opening and closing the blade gives a superior tactile feedback compared to something like the Para 3 LW. Similarly, the Delica LW feels more substantial to me than a Native 5 LW because the scales don’t have “give” in them.

The only models where a lack of liners serves a purpose for me is the salt series.
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

I totally agree with the posts above.

When I was looking to buy my first Spyderco (and first good knife in general), I thought I wanted a Para 3 because I held one in-hand and liked it; plus it's easy to see how popular it is.

But after doing a bit more research, I kept seeing comments from people basically saying if you're considering a Para 3, look at a Sage 5. I did, and ended up getting one as my first Spyderco, and am glad I did.

I honestly don't understand how the Para 3 LW is so popular with the Sage 5 LW around. I think the Sage 5 LW is better in practically every way, and I'd wager I'm not alone in that. Comparing the lightweight versions, the Sage 5 LW has better steel, full liners, the pivot bushing, arguably "better" FRN, all for only about $20.00 more.

Like the posters above, mine is practically perfect, great action, great ergonomics, and gave me a great first impression of Spyderco.

Jason
Jason

Current Rotation:
Pacific Salt 2 PE (H1)
Spydiechef
Stretch 2 (K390)
Chaparral LW
Dragonfly 2 Salt SE (Bonus 2nd blade!)
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

I dont want to sound like a broken record here, but after getting my Sage 5 LW, all other my other Spyderco's have kind of been put on the back burner, especially my Para 3 LW's. Gave one of my Para 3's to my brother after getting the Sage 5.
It's so well put together and great ergo's to boot.
Gonna break down and get the S30V version next
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Jason Paul wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:22 pm
I totally agree with the posts above.

When I was looking to buy my first Spyderco (and first good knife in general), I thought I wanted a Para 3 because I held one in-hand and liked it; plus it's easy to see how popular it is.

But after doing a bit more research, I kept seeing comments from people basically saying if you're considering a Para 3, look at a Sage 5. I did, and ended up getting one as my first Spyderco, and am glad I did.

I honestly don't understand how the Para 3 LW is so popular with the Sage 5 LW around. I think the Sage 5 LW is better in practically every way, and I'd wager I'm not alone in that. Comparing the lightweight versions, the Sage 5 LW has better steel, full liners, the pivot bushing, arguably "better" FRN, all for only about $20.00 more.

Like the posters above, mine is practically perfect, great action, great ergonomics, and gave me a great first impression of Spyderco.

Jason
I have both and won't disagree that the Sage 5 LW is excellent. But better is subjective. Especially the part about the steel. I like S30V but I also really like BD1N and SPY27. There's also been a number of Para 3 exclusives with various steels. Some people also prefer the straight spine of the Para 3, not to mention that outer edges of the scales having more radius.. At 2.4 oz vs. 2.9 oz the Para 3 is also better at being light weight. And before someone chimes in about the Sage 5 having thinner blade stock, I just measured behind the edge thickness of a Para 3 and Sage 5 LW. They're about the same at .022"

So for me it's honestly a toss up between the two
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
NCC-2893

Post by NCC-2893 »

Sage 5 LW is one of my absolute favorites. Sage 5 LW and Para 3 LW are very similar. I would say the Sage 5 feels better than Para 3 choked up. And Para 3 feels better than Sage 5 unchoked. Para 3 is lighter, being liner less. But Sage 5 feels less “cheap” with nested liners; feels like a quality knife to the casual observer. You might not get that with the “plastic” feel of para 3. Sage is thinner, making it a better slicer. Para 3’s blade is pretty thick, and the short blade doesn’t really need all the extra beef, at the cost of sliceyness . The FRN edges of the Sage 5 LW are smoother, and just feel more premium than the FRN on Para 3. The sharp inner edges of the Para 3 LW are susceptible to denting or rolling, not so with the Sage 5 LW.
“I get on my bike and I ride off…on the grass.”
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

My Sage M4 exclusive from BHQ is phenomenal. Best of the ~50 comp lock Spydercos that I’ve opened.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:17 pm
And before someone chimes in about the Sage 5 having thinner blade stock, I just measured behind the edge thickness of a Para 3 and Sage 5 LW. They're about the same at .022"

I've been looking into both lately and the blade thickness is something I looked at. Even if the BTE is lower on the Para3 wouldn't every measurement after that be higher? I've never had the chance to actually use either one so I can't say if that really matters.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:46 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
And before someone chimes in about the Sage 5 having thinner blade stock, I just measured behind the edge thickness of a Para 3 and Sage 5 LW. They're about the same at .022"

I've been looking into both lately and the blade thickness is something I looked at. Even if the BTE is lower on the Para3 wouldn't every measurement after that be higher? I've never had the chance to actually use either one so I can't say if that really matters.
Good point.

Of course blade stock thickness is just ONE of several aspects that affect slicing performance, but one of those that is hard to change (to make thinner) by the end user, while thickness behind the edge is much easier to alter.

So imho it is better to give a folder a good foundation for achieving good actual cutting performance by not starting out with (too) thick bladestock.

And the Sage has a rather thick blade for such a small knife anyway already.

Again and to be clear: Of course things like tapering, how tall the blade is and so on come into play too and can not realistically or not at all be changed by the end user.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:46 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:

Yes, I'm sure if everything else is the same (thickness BTE etc) blade stock thickness makes a difference. All I can say is that I've cut plenty of cardboard with Sages and Para 3's and I can't feel a noticeable difference. I've said this before, when I use a reasonably sharp Para 3 and I cut up some boxes I've never felt like the little thicker blade stock made the cutting efficiency much less than a lot of other knives I use
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:11 am

Yes, I'm sure if everything else is the same (thickness BTE etc) blade stock thickness makes a difference. All I can say is that I've cut plenty of cardboard with Sages and Para 3's and I can't feel a noticeable difference. I've said this before, when I use a reasonably sharp Para 3 and I cut up some boxes I've never felt like the little thicker blade stock made the cutting efficiency much less than a lot of other knives I use
Are you talking about the Para 3 LW being similar as well? I figured the G-10 model would be similar to the PM2. I'm sure I'll pick one up eventually but for now the Sage 5 LW seems the most appealing.
Wartstein wrote: Good point.

Of course blade stock thickness is just ONE of several aspects that affect slicing performance, but one of those that is hard to change (to make thinner) by the end user, while thickness behind the edge is much easier to alter.

So imho it is better to give a folder a good foundation for achieving good actual cutting performance by not starting out with (too) thick bladestock.

Again and to be clear: Of course things like tapering, how tall the blade is and so on come into play too and can not realistically or not at all be changed by the end user.
Oh I know, I've mentioned to you before how the Cara Cara 2 has 3mm blade stock but the way it's ground 3/4 of the blade is sub 2mm. Geometry of the primary grinds plays a big role from my experience. I never over look designs based on blade stock thickness, unless it's one of those 6mm+ Medfords.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:43 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:11 am
Wartstein wrote: Good point.

Oh I know, I've mentioned to you before how the Cara Cara 2 has 3mm blade stock but the way it's ground 3/4 of the blade is sub 2mm. Geometry of the primary grinds plays a big role from my experience. I never over look designs based on blade stock thickness, unless it's one of those 6mm+ Medfords.
I know, but this actually substantiates in a way what I mean:

- On LONG blades (like on your Cara Cara or the Endura) starting out with a bit "thicker" blade stock has not that much of an effect, cause due to the tapering on the long blades much of the front part of the blade will be still thin enough for great slicing performance
- Now: Cara Cara (I think) and Endura (for sure) blades start out with just 3mm blade stock... and are STILL strong enough - never heard of an Endura blade breaking in normal or even hard use.
- A Para 3 for example starts out with almost 25% thicker bladestock (3.7mm) and additionally has a much shorter blade and so much less tapering going on that would make the blade stock thinner in the front part.
Not that would be a "bad" thing, don´t get me wrong! I just think if the goal is to lay the foundation for a really good slicing and cutting tool, starting out with such thick bladestock is not ideal (though again: Several other factors play an important role here too).
- In my experience, IF a blade snaps it is in a vast majority of cases the very tip. And the tip is actually not very strong on many thick bladestock folders (so the combo "starting with thick stock but then giving the knife a rather fragile tip" is in my very humble opinion and experience not ideal).
Shaner99

Post by Shaner99 »

I'm not trying highjack this thread, but I've searched everywhere it seems and can't find what I'm looking for. I've been trying to find micarta scales for my sage LW or my sage CF. I see they were pretty popular for the LW a couple of years ago but can't find any anywhere for sale now. Any of you guys happen to know where to get a set? Thanks in advance
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Shaner99 wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:26 pm
I'm not trying highjack this thread, but I've searched everywhere it seems and can't find what I'm looking for. I've been trying to find micarta scales for my sage LW or my sage CF. I see they were pretty popular for the LW a couple of years ago but can't find any anywhere for sale now. Any of you guys happen to know where to get a set? Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately I personally can´t help you out other than bumping your post (this thread was already way down on page 2) - perhaps others will chime in who can actually answer your question.
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

Shaner99 wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:26 pm
I bought CF scales from Parsons Bladeworks, which formerly sold micarta scales but is since sold out. Maybe send them an email to see if they're doing another run anytime soon?
Jerome Howard

Post by Jerome Howard »

Rather than start a new post, I'll sneak this in here.

Do all compression lock Spydercos have liners?