A knife designed by the forum

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you enjoy designing a knife in collaborating with this whole forum?

Yes
56%
No
44%

Total votes: 102

Superfool

Re: A knife designed by the forum

Post by Superfool »

SG89 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:06 am
Golden production is backed up a year plus...you would need an open spot in one of the other factories probably. Which could limit your choices pretty severely. Look what happened to the UKPK Damascus forum "project". You need to start with a model in a non-Golden factory and then go from there. The Jester "project" looks promising.
It ain't over yet. I am still hopeful that Sal will deliver on the DAMAUKPK. I think a few are still hoping to see it get there.

With that being said, it is a savage task trying to get even a simple aspect of the knife organised. People all have very different ideas about how to organise a poll, let alone the knife itself.

There were times I got a bit p1ssed off with some comments as well. Sometimes it felt like we were never going to get there.

My worry now, is that as it's now an Urban, is this going to quench the desires, or will they fly off the shelves and convince Sal to green light the end project?

Only time will tell.
David
Always outnumbered; never outgunned.

Proud member of Sal's Troublemaker Class since July 2020
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Just a point, I believe Eric is signing off on projects these days.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:11 pm
Just a point, I believe Eric is signing off on projects these days.
Could be that you are 100% correct, but support from Michael Janich or Sal Glesser when dealing with the issue of CQI or new knives would be greatly appreciated. Eric does not operate in a vacuum. I bet he spends time reading these forums too.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I have to believe that if Sal had a pet project and wanted it made, it would be made.
So it goes.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:20 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:18 am
Cool idea, but it would never work. WAAAAAAYYY too many different opinions, likes and dislikes among everyone here.

Agreed, when I think of the many honest, but failed Forum-knife attempts..
Still, voted yes, just for the fun of it... and who knows, miracles can happen... ;)
This is my mindset
Last edited by Paraguy on Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:45 am
This would probably require multiple polls, just to get an idea narrowed down to even get something started. Steel used, blade shape, blade length and thickness, lock type, handle design, handle materials, liners/no liners and I'm sure other things that didn't come right to mind.

It would be a heck of a lot of work, and even if it didn't become anything, it would be fun to see what we would come up with. Many skilled people around here with coming up with their own designs or tweaks of previous designs. I'd jump on board and participate if this idea gained any steam, even if it is just for fun.
Yeah, it could just be the new thing this forum agues about for the next eternity. I agree with you about doing it just for the fun. That way we won't be disappointed.

NOW! Who wants to do all that coordinating? We need someone with extreme amounts of patients and enthusiasm. :dizzy
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:07 pm
Just look up some of the Forum Knife threads. Those will give you a pretty good idea of how something like this would go
:zany True. But it could be fun.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:23 pm
Evil D wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:29 am
I'll be the party pooper and vote no. I wouldn't stand in the way but I'm outnumbered by a lot of people who favor things I don't really care for, so I would definitely watch but I guess I'd be skeptical. Prove me wrong I guess.
precisely. it would be awesome if it could work, but there are too many people to try and make happy. i think we'd end up with a black squeak, which already exists.
Yeah, I'm actually pretty interested to see if a preexisting design manifests itself.
Last edited by Paraguy on Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

tonijedi wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:40 pm
This is a too much very crazy idea... and that's why we should try it :zany

I propose initial rounds with only 2 options (fixed vs folder, salt vs regular, for example).
Later on the options could be more, like for colors or materials.
But every round is final and the option with most votes wins.
I wholeheartedly agree. This could be the greatest social experiment of our age.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Accutron wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:22 pm
Good designs are the result of a singular vision, not an aimless committee. Like a smooth river stone, this design will be worn down into a nondescript oval shape by myriad dissenting opinions. What you'll end up with is a Civivi Elementum with a spydie hole.
You make a good point
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:53 pm
I know I’ve already said my piece and I’ve said this next part before as well, but I’d be happier if we saw more designs that I know Sal and Eric have hidden away. I’m sure any one of them will be better than whatever 3 humped camel knife we all came up with.
I completely agree. However, the poll question is would you enjoy designing a knife with the rest of the forum? Not would you like to see one made? I too would rather see a prototype of Sal or Eric's than our diverse ideas all compressed into one knife.
Last edited by Paraguy on Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Some call me...Tim?"
kobold

Post by kobold »

abbazaba wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:42 am

"The camel is a horse designed by a committee."
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I don't see a problem. As long as everybody agrees with me there are no issues. :winking-tongue

Seriously, it will be fun. We may end up with the dumbest design since the chalk knife, but we will have fun doing it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Silly rant warning for this first part…

I get the idea behind that camel saying, but my biology nerd self doesn’t jive with it.
Camel’s are perfectly adapted to their environment, an incredibly successful group of animals both today and throughout their evolutionary history, and are just as efficient and widespread domesticated livestock as horses.
The saying just makes no sense except possibly from entirely subjective aesthetic preference for the form of a horse over a camel’s.
Anyway, don’t mind me! I just had to let that out because I’m a nerd, sorry for the off/topic rant.
—————-

Back on topic, I suggest that the way this becomes a worthwhile project is to not take it so seriously (as hypocritical as that may seem after my above rant 😅). Just discuss and share ideas about what YOU want in a Spyderco knife as well as what you’re willing to compromise on.

It’s unlikely/impossible to result in a finished product we can claim the forum, in its entirety, agrees upon. However, such an experiment should at least be fun, potentially enlightening, and maybe even useful for designers watching the thread. Knowing where people say they’ll give an inch or draw the line can be invaluable knowledge.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

abbazaba wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:42 am
DUDE!
It's as if you were reading my mind... but had the bravery to actually say something. Personally, I'm content with Sal and Eric and Mike and all the other experts designing the knives I buy and carry.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:18 am
Cool idea, but it would never work. WAAAAAAYYY too many different opinions, likes and dislikes among everyone here.
There’s a reason the phrase “design by committee” is basically synonymous with “bad idea.”
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
sal

Post by sal »

Airlsee wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:53 pm
I have to believe that if Sal had a pet project and wanted it made, it would be made.

Hi Arilsee,

That only works to a point. There is a process that includes much that goes into a model early on. Bumping something already in the process create problems in the line. I let Eric and his team know what I would like to make but it has to "fit". Especially in the Golden plant where much is already in process for the next year or so. Some very nice designs "just sitting and waiting". I've had more luck getting some of my Seki projects going, like the K390 but even that took years. "All comes to he who waits"

sal
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

I won't participate. I have seen this question pop up every year and everyone wanted a different version. It was a very difficult excercise to choose a forum knife in the past. So i guess choosing the ultimate knife everyone loves is extremely difficult.
But who am i to curb your enthousiasm. Go for it
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I still say no, but you all want to do it as a thought experiment, go for it. All of the participants should publicly promise to not get your nose out of shape when others in the group disagree or discount your ideas.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Jim Malone wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:48 am
I won't participate. I have seen this question pop up every year and everyone wanted a different version. It was a very difficult excercise to choose a forum knife in the past. So i guess choosing the ultimate knife everyone loves is extremely difficult.
But who am i to curb your enthousiasm. Go for it
For as long as I’ve been a forum user, this idea has never been presented. Did you read the original post or just the title?
JRinFL wrote: I still say no, but you all want to do it as a thought experiment, go for it. All of the participants should publicly promise to not get your nose out of shape when others in the group disagree or discount your ideas.
I think a large number of people took this thread way too seriously. (Like wayyyyyy too seriously)
I’m almost 100% positive that the original intention of this thread was supposed to be all in good fun.
-Nick :bug-red