Security concern

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

Re: Security concern

Post by kennethsime »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:19 pm
I don't see what the issue is here. Unless the OP's knife is somehow drastically different than mine there's nothing to be concerned about

Man, does the Chappy have a metal backspacer? I had no idea. Doesn’t that add some unnecessary weight?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:08 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
I don't see what the issue is here. Unless the OP's knife is somehow drastically different than mine there's nothing to be concerned about
Man, does the Chappy have a metal backspacer? I had no idea. Doesn’t that add some unnecessary weight?
It has, and you might be surprised to hear this from me, who normally is all for lighter weight:
The metal back spacer is actually one of the things I like on the Chap!

It is technically certainly not necessary, but, combined with the metal liners, gives the Chap that great aspect of on the one hand thinness and sliciness, on the other hand the bomb proof and extremely robust quality.
It feels "heavy" in a good way in hand, but is still as light as an (H1) Salt 2.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Thanks Warstein, that’s great feedback.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Thank you Warstein for keeping it knife related. It is nice to have the knife concern reasonably addressed so if anyone searches in the future they find a valid answer. The secondary issues with the op are another level. I have been knife crazy in the past and I have come back to a reasonable bit of sanity.

I think this guy(Shabazz) has some valid help for the op and other issues that are not knife related. Sure, he is a knife community influencer and if he can influence mental health then the more health to us. Anyway.....

https://youtu.be/9IqpIO3bc_A

Personally I have been amazed at how nice the forum has treated this person. In the story, The Boy Who Cried Wolf, the boy was given 3 chances and then the villagers left him to the wolf. With every question forwarded there has been meaningful and technical replies.

My really best advice to the op, turn your machine off. Take your knife and learn. Follow the advice you have received.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, Catcherman, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

kennethsime wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:

Apparently you missed this thread from a few days ago...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=91579

I think the metal back spacer is a nice touch on a FRN model. I have my Chap FRN on me today and it's certainly not what I'd consider to be heavy. It gives the knife a little more substance instead of feeling too light. Per that thread ^ I 3D printed a backspacer for the Chap. The metal one is now back in the knife and the plastic one is sitting on my desk
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:52 am
kennethsime wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:

Apparently you missed this thread from a few days ago...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=91579

I think the metal back spacer is a nice touch on a FRN model. I have my Chap FRN on me today and it's certainly not what I'd consider to be heavy. It gives the knife a little more substance instead of feeling too light. Per that thread ^ I 3D printed a backspacer for the Chap. The metal one is now back in the knife and the plastic one is sitting on my desk
Sorry to hear it didn’t work, but thanks for experimenting and sharing your experience!

The Chappy is on the list but keeps getting pushed back.

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Airlsee wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:32 pm
At least you got the important part in focus...
For some reason this got me good, multiple out loud chuckles. I can feel the disappointment and disgust as you typed this.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Yeah, I don't know how to do it. Whenever I try to open my Chaparral it closes on me and my finger gets caught. It seems that I have to use more force but I don't want to break my knife.
A backlock knife like your chaparral is biased towards closing. If you open it slightly then release it the blade will snap back shut. It is by design. It helps the blade stay closed until you want it open . Opening it with your thumb will not break it. Practice getting a comfortable one hand grip and opening it with your thumb only. When you do it a few times you will understand the design better. Practice until it becomes second nature. Start out slow and careful and do not worry about trying to do it quickly. Try to replicate your preferred grip every time you pick up the knife to open it. Try for smoothness first. Speed isn't needed but after enough practice you will find yourself doing it smoother and faster without effort. That is called developing muscle memory.

You are holding it wrong if you have any part of your hand under the blade when you are opening it. The results of doing that are what you are experiencing. Develop the correct habits from the beginning and you will become better at it while staying safe.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

I don't know why i do it but google YouTube "opening Spyderco knife"