Chaparral safety

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JSumm

Re: Chaparral safety

Post by JSumm »

Thanks for the recommendation! I will go plastic next time. He wants another one.

I was impressed with the wood option too. I could flick it open. Just needed wood glue to keep it tight. Just a little not to mess with the action. But honestly, I have to tighten all of my Seki knives, so I am used to it.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JSumm wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:00 pm
Thanks for the recommendation! I will go plastic next time. He wants another one.

I was impressed with the wood option too. I could flick it open. Just needed wood glue to keep it tight. Just a little not to mess with the action. But honestly, I have to tighten all of my Seki knives, so I am used to it.
i have the glow delica. it's good for showing the kids how the knife works and good for judging responsibility.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
damiand

Post by damiand »

bgcameron wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:48 pm
A couple options for you:
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... -reg-4/888

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... roduct=789

Seriously though, just be careful. Use the brass safety rods on the sharpmaker and don't press too hard. Go slow, and practice with the flat sides of the rods as you sharpen towards the tip. Focus on the task and try to not drink too much coffee before hand.
You all are really unpleasant. One expects a serious answer, and they come up with this **** for 5-year-olds. I'm 18 and I'm already big. I've used knifes for long.

I'm only looking for a thicker cutting edge/blade knife with characteristics similar to Chaparral like being small like the Dragonfly and highest edge retention and corrosion resistance.

I made this thread with hopes of a more helpful answer, because I don't have $1,000 if I cut a tendon from sharpening my Chaparral! I'm a newbie and I only get teased from all of you.I just want to take a precaution if buying from this brand is already expensive for me.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Damiand you seem like an idiot and shouldn't play with knives.

I stopped taking you and your questions seriously 3 weeks ago, whining isn't going to help.
So it goes.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

You all are really unpleasant. One expects a serious answer, and they come up with this **** for 5-year-olds. I'm 18 and I'm already big. I've used knifes for long.

I'm only looking for a thicker cutting edge/blade knife with characteristics similar to Chaparral like being small like the Dragonfly and highest edge retention and corrosion resistance.

I made this thread with hopes of a more helpful answer, because I don't have $1,000 if I cut a tendon from sharpening my Chaparral! I'm a newbie and I only get teased from all of you.I just want to take a precaution if buying from this brand is already expensive for me.
The best thing we can do is answer you honestly. You are giving the impression to me that you should not have a knife in your possession. At the very least maybe you can find a safety course to take. If you mean "thicker cutting edge" as you want a duller knife that is pretty easy . Any sharp edge will easily cut you when you mess up. Either learn not to mess up or give up knife carry. I honestly think you should ask your care provider/parent to teach you or help you find a course like the one the boy scouts use to give for the "totin chip" or whatever they call it. ( here is the course outline ) https://www.bsa344.com/Totin%20Chip%20Lesson%20Plan.pdf . Until you do at least that much you should not carry your knife in my opinion.
damiand

Post by damiand »

Airlsee wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:23 pm

I stopped taking you and your questions seriously 3 weeks ago, whining isn't going to help.
Your calling me an idiot? Wow
damiand

Post by damiand »

The Mastiff wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:53 pm

The best thing we can do is answer you honestly. You are giving the impression to me that you should not have a knife in your possession. At the very least maybe you can find a safety course to take. If you mean "thicker cutting edge" as you want a duller knife that is pretty easy . Any sharp edge will easily cut you when you mess up. Either learn not to mess up or give up knife carry. I honestly think you should ask your care provider/parent to teach you or help you find a course like the one the boy scouts use to give for the "totin chip" or whatever they call it. ( here is the course outline ) https://www.bsa344.com/Totin%20Chip%20Lesson%20Plan.pdf . Until you do at least that much you should not carry your knife in my opinion.
I don't want a dull edge. I want a thicker cutting edge, maybe the Chaparral blade is not suitable for me.
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

The Mastiff wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:53 pm
I honestly think you should ask your care provider/parent to teach you or help you find a course like the one the boy scouts use to give for the "totin chip" or whatever they call it.

My troop called it the "Whittling Chip", but I don't know if there's some kind of standardized name it carries, beats me. Totin is probably what they called it in Boy Scouts, Whittling was likely the Cub Scout version, as I recall being 8 or 9 years old.

If you messed up the rules you were taught, or passed a knife incorrectly (they loved to test us on this), you'd get a corner cut from your whittling chip, which was just a yellow card, and all 4 corners gone meant your right to carry your Swiss Army Tinker was also gone, lol. Good times.

Edit: dinged up the formatting
Last edited by Spicy Suplex on Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

The saga continues..
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

omg
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

damiand wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:11 pm
Airlsee wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:23 pm

Your calling me an idiot? Wow

I don't know you, so I have no idea if you are an idiot or not.

I said that by your posts on this forum you come across as an idiot. You also don't seem to understand how edged tools work or metal and plastic in general. You can't take advice, and you seem to think this forum is a vast array of anonymous posters.

Many of us have read nearly every post you have made on this forum and have given you advice just to watch you start another thread, like the first one didn't exist. To then be told all over again about the Chaparral like we didn't already know you had it, or that you wanted it to last forever and didn't have any money to replace it.

You were told to keep it sharp, use it and not worry. You have somehow now managed to be unable to open the knife without injuring yourself, and you are affaid that leaving it inside your pocket unclipped is going to cut you. (Not to mention your lack of understanding of corrosion)

You can call it whatever you want...

You don't comprehend basic knife concepts, you're rude and ungrateful. If nothing else you are amusing, a fool.
Last edited by Airlsee on Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So it goes.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I don't want a dull edge. I want a thicker cutting edge, maybe the Chaparral blade is not suitable for me.
I can't say which knife is. Only you can decide that. It is trial and error. It can be a long process but we all had to go through it. We humans can't learn through osmosis. We are taught ( hopefully) then the rest we learn the hard way. If you have skipped the first step the second becomes longer and usually more expensive sometimes in other ways like the doctors visits you mentioned. I've had my share of stitches. The worst one by far was a dull but jagged cat food can lid. It tore more than cut. I was old and experienced enough to know better too, but we humans are not perfect. That is why we remember the lessons we paid for sometimes with blood and make sure to not make the same mistake twice. If you make the mistake a third time consider it enemy action and look closely at how you are living. :smlling-eyes

Joe
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Airlsee wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:13 pm
You seem to have a lot of issues with your Chaparral, maybe you should sell it and get something else, like scissors.
Please let them be the safety kind with the round tips
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

damiand is obviously Mikael Andersson's son (remember that guy?)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I wish when so many people call “troll” on a user the rest would consider it more carefully. And honestly, the mods should have banned this joker many posts ago.
damiand wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:14 pm
From the photo it looks like it works just fine. I mean, if you owned a Chaparral and if you had an arm.
Last edited by zhyla on Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:55 pm
damiand is obviously Mikael Andersson's son (remember that guy?)

OMG, I had completely forgetten about him. Went out in a blaze of glory. Unfortunately, he didn't even teach damiand how to open a pocketknife before he jetted out.
So it goes.
kobold

Post by kobold »

double post
Last edited by kobold on Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
kobold

Post by kobold »

kobold wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:14 pm

I suggest daggers.
Go to the city of Megiddo... in the old city of Jezreel. There see the old man Bugenhagen.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Godzilla68

Post by Godzilla68 »

Man, I just ordered a cf chaparral and now I'm worried that I ordered something sharp. Burst my bubble kid.
PM2 Crucarta
Chaparral CF
Gayle Bradley Bowie
Manix 2 M390
Native Chief Rex45
Caly 3.5
Delica ZDP189
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

damiand wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:19 pm
bgcameron wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:48 pm

.....l I'm a newbie and I only get teased from all of you.I just want to take a precaution if buying from this brand is already expensive for me.

So which is it?
"Used knives for long" or "newbie"? ;)
/
Damiand, like many others here I´ve tried to offer you help and advice in pretty much every thread you started.
Certainly I´ve read all of the many issues you came up here within a very short period of time.

Now at this point, just rationally and objectively, there are two possibilities left for me:

1.) You are just a troll and find this all funny.

No problem for me, even given the fact that I´ve invested quite some time and effort so far (I am not a Native speaker, giving advice in English is harder than in my mother tongue).
Better getting pranked by a troll from time to time than to miss out on helping someone who seriously asks for advice - and some folks who read the many serious replies many of us posted, will still benefit anyway.
I am almost sure that almost anyone on this forum who actually read all your threads and questions will believe you actually are a troll (read for example starting with THIS viewtopic.php?f=2&t=91586&p=1591587#p1592179 post and then read to the end of the page)

2.) You and your questions are real: Then, honestly and without meaning to offend you: Your problem is something else than the many issues you have with folders

If, and I paraphrase you, you actually "always get cut when you open your Chap" , but still "have used knives for a long time" and somehow have a job that requires "cutting a lot of cardboard every day" - this just can´t be real, or is a dangerous scenario and you really should not use pocket knives.
Also, being always and excessively worried about just about every aspect one can possibly find on a pocket knife is not normal but pathological, and you should seek help. Again, no offense, but meant in a friendly way.

And, since the pic of the cut in your arm (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=91614#p1593093) and the pic of your Chap (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=91613#p1593119) are obviously real and made in the same location, there is at least a slight possibility that you are "real".
If so: 1.) You probably really should not have a job where you use folders all the time without working on your motor skills first
2.) You actually cut yourself deliberately in order to do your troll-thing (and this would again be rather pathological)

Anyway: I am out.
Should you need help not concerning folders : Feel free to pm me.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)