Chaparral safety

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
damiand

Chaparral safety

Post by damiand »

Hello . A couple of days ago I was sharpening my Chaparral for the first time! I'm impressed that I only did 10 strokes on the sharpmaker and it was back to its factory sharpness. The problem is this:

(The cut is from a few days ago and there is some blood on site)

While I was sharpning, the knife slipped off the rod. I didn't even realize the cut had been so wide, and with so slow pressure, I'm wondering why? And now. What safety does Chaparral give me? Every time i open my Chaparral, I always get cut (my finger). I try to open my knife less to avoid being cut. However every time I open my knife it rubs against my finger. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. (I'm doing silent opening).

Also, I don't know why, but I've never had a cut as wide as this one. What i noticed, is that the cut was a couple of millimeters deep. It's kind of worrisome since it could happen again that I accidentally cut myself with my super sharp Chaparral.

My question is: is there any way to prevent this from happening? For example making the Chaparral not too sharp? Or some knife that requires more pressure to get cut? Maybe a thicker blade or cutting edge, I don't understand much about knives sorry.

I like the cuts, but accidents can happen, and if it had been to my hand directly it could have punctured my tendon!. I have no money for surgery. Also I still don't understand why it made such a wide wound. The blade is not that thick!!

What alternative knives do I have? How can I make the cutting edge thicker?

Chaparral is a safety concern!!
Last edited by damiand on Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Airlsee

Re: Chaparral safety

Post by Airlsee »

I don't even know how to respond any more. Well done.
So it goes.
damiand

Post by damiand »

Airlsee wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:09 pm
Well done?
Revival

Post by Revival »

With all your Chaparral concerns recently, it is best to get rid of your knife. If you cannot open your knife without worrying, a knife is not for you.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

damiand wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:10 pm
Airlsee wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:09 pm
Well done?

Well done, rendering me speechless with your lack of common sense. Is there something you're not sharing with us?

You seem to have a lot of issues with your Chaparral, maybe you should sell it and get something else, like scissors.
So it goes.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

damiand wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:06 pm
dude... i defended you. :-||
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

I'm saying this without any sarcasm, and with honest concern. Are you sure a knife is the right tool for you? It does seem to be causing a fair amount of anxiety (based on past threads) and injury (based on this thread).

The chaparral isn't fundamentally unsafe, but it's a knife, and knives are indeed sharp. I have cut myself on knives, but I'm usually being careless and trying to flick it open/shut too quickly for fun. I've done this on Spyderco and Benchmade and Quietcarry and Ontario and and and. It's not the knife's fault. Or when I'm sharpening, I move too quickly and cut myself. I've done this on the sharpmaker, despite the safety guards, and on the KME, etc.

You can absolutely use knives safely. My 11 year old daughter has a dragonfly. She opens it with two hands, does her cutting task (away from her body), and closes it with two hands.

Knives aren't for everyone, and maybe a better tool might be a leatherman or some sort of all-in-one pry-bar depending on your day to day tasks.
Last edited by sethwm on Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Last edited by sethwm on Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

If you cant open a knife without cutting yourself then maybe you shouldnt use one.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

I suggest a pair of plastic safety scissors.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

sethwm wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:15 pm
Knives aren't for everyone, and maybe a better tool might be a leatherman or some sort of all-in-one pry-bar depending on your day to day tasks.

300 feet of cardboard daily and soaking in blood for hours every couple of days.
So it goes.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Airlsee wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:18 pm
sethwm wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:15 pm

300 feet of cardboard daily and soaking in blood for hours every couple of days.
You made me spit out my water with that one.

But seriously, if the task is requiring 300 feet of cardboard, and an EDC knife is problematic, a plain jane box cutter might be the tool. You still absolutely have to practice using it safely. Cut away from you, retract the blade when not using, etc. But there's no sharpening, there's no pocket carry, etc.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I've cut myself before but I never even considered blaming it on the knife. Count me as another one that thinks you are unsuited to knife use and carry.

Good luck.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Sharp knives are sharp. Obvious troll is obvious.
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

It’s ok , blood patina adds some character to a knife!! :hand-over-mouth

“” I'm sorry but I thought you were doing fun out of me I'm just an inexperienced knife user, sometimes I make a fool of myself and I prefer to avoid answering.

I got the sharpmaker and got everything else , however I am not happy with my knife. There is some rust in my knife, i think they call it patina. I need a corrosion resistant knife. I don't know what to buy, plus I feel like I wasted all my money on a knife that I will only be able to use dry. I cant cut my food or vegetables and have already seen complaints from other users about citric acid corrosion.

I'm not going to risk a knife that took me months to get. What I can do? I think that "El Caribbean" is a good knife. I'm also 18 and I don't have a job.”” :sos
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Why do y’all feel the need to reply to any of this? If no one answers the problem will eventually solve itself.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

If you use a knife with any regularity, you will get cut occasionally. It’s just an inevitability. Practice good safety and learn from mistakes. That’s the best a person can do, aside from no longer using knives.
bgcameron

Post by bgcameron »

A couple options for you:
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... -reg-4/888

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... roduct=789

Seriously though, just be careful. Use the brass safety rods on the sharpmaker and don't press too hard. Go slow, and practice with the flat sides of the rods as you sharpen towards the tip. Focus on the task and try to not drink too much coffee before hand.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I got option 2 for my 6 year old last year. It is really pretty cool. Curious if anyone has gotten option 1? I think my little one would really enjoy it and it may hold up better. Option 2 needs a little wood glue. I think he lost option 2.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

Got options one and two for some of my friends kids. The wood one lasted about 10 minutes, kid was 4. The plastic ones lasted longer and I was more impressed with their construction. I recommend them. It’s neat that their construction is just like the real thing… minus screws. And they actually do function too.