Shot Show 2022 News & Updates

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Airlsee

Re: Shot Show 2022 News & Updates

Post by Airlsee »

Regarding all the LW/FRN hate, the fact that Golden is actively working on aluminum scales now may solve the issues for some.
So it goes.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Aluminum will never replace FRN. Aluminum is an alternative to g10, titanium, micarta, etc. (materials that require machine time) Aluminum scales still need to be machined, which is one of the biggest benefits to using injection molded FRN scales. (They don’t require machining)

Spyderco offering FRN versions of their knives is not a new trend, no matter how much some people try to insist that it is.

Spyderco has probably grown enough that they now have the capacity and resources to offer more models with FRN versions. Which is probably why we’re seeing more of them.
-Nick :bug-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

Xformer wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:50 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:06 am
JRinFL wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:58 am
For the record, I was joking about the LW Military. I doubt it would happen and I never heard speculation that it was even being considered. I was just pulling GSG9's leg. I find LWs useful, but not in the Military model.
The G10 Military Model IS lightweight. That’s one of its magical properties. When people talk about an LW Military, they’re really talking about a featherweight.
I think there's diminishing returns to how much light a knife should be (controversial I know). There's a balance between too heavy in a pocket and too light in the hands.

The Native 5 LW feels too light in the hands to me... It's almost like I'm handling a toy, it lacks substance to me. I'm way more attracted to it being FRN rather than it being as lightweight as possible.

Same feeling for the Griptilian 551. I've always find the feeling was completely off on that knife. It feels too light in the hands for what it is. Something the Hogue version completely solved. It's heavier, but it feels like it should.

I'd gladly take a FRN Mili, because I think FRN is superior to G10 in many ways, but making the Mili even lighter would feel off.
3-4oz is the sweet spot for me. Light enough they don't feel cumbersome in any outfit, but they feel more substantial than under 3oz knives. I still own and carry knives lighter and heavier than this range though.

I've owned some of the lighter Military runs and I really liked them. I started with a single liner S60V that was lighter than the current standard Millie, and had a single liner carbon fiber sprint at one point that was the lightest version to date. IIRC they were 4.25oz and 4oz respectively.

If they could get the weight back down to where those were, it'd make the model a little better for my tastes. That said, I'm also fine with its current weight. 4.5oz isn't exactly a brick, and I have plenty of options if I feel the need to go lighter.
:unicorn
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Ya know ... lots of stuff to capture my interest ... however- "This year I am going to hold off on purchasing new items until I can get my hand on them; instead of the buy and try approach I've been practicing over the last few years"!!!!!!.

Looking forward to further investigation into the - chief LW, Lil Native LW, and Stretch 2xl.
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:08 am
Aluminum will never replace FRN.

I wasn't suggesting aluminum would replace FRN, just more options. Linerless aluminum is rigid and lightweight.
So it goes.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Airlsee wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:30 am
Mushroom wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:08 am
Aluminum will never replace FRN.

I wasn't suggesting aluminum would replace FRN, just more options. Linerless aluminum is rigid and lightweight.
That’s a very good point! Seeing that Aluminum PM2 without skeletonizing come in lighter than the G10 version was a nice surprise.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

So do we think there will be additional models shown today or tomorrow? Or are they done. IMO they showed plenty of great stuff. We have the new stuff to look forward to plus the release of past reveal models hopefully dropping soon
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Matus

Post by Matus »

We just really need someone who was there in person to report on those prototypes ...
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I think they’ve shown us everything they were planning to show for now.

I’m okay with that though. Seeing those two new Lil Native models on top of the reveal was the best surprise of this years SHOT show for me!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Yeah seeing the LNLW and NCLW was my fav
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i wish we could've seen the manix salt. i know the magnacut manix is out there and he said he didn't bring the yellow one when referring to the m2lw with screws. i'd love to see it though.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Gsg9 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:44 am
JRinFL wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:31 am
Gsg9 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:17 am
Maybe Lightcheapweights will work for the young guns new to the scene or anybody else just looking for something... cheap

There are reasons to prefer G10 over FRN (and vice versa) and you may actually be a seasoned and experienced knife user... but this particular statement sounds rather immature and actually "new to the scene-ish" ... :smirk

Don't know how one actually being IN the scene could miss that FRN knives work great for many experienced knife users and are chosen for many other reasons than being cheap...;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Wharnie Lil' Native was coolest surprise for me, thin LNLW is awesome, Stretch XL will be excellent, but I still feel underwhelmed...
So it goes.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Nothing that will do any damage to my wallet, but glad to see a lot of folks excited for some of these releases!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
archangel

Post by archangel »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:15 pm
Gsg9 wrote:
JRinFL wrote:
Gsg9 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:17 am
Maybe Lightcheapweights will work for the young guns new to the scene or anybody else just looking for something... cheap

There are reasons to prefer G10 over FRN (and vice versa) and you may actually be a seasoned and experienced knife user... but this particular statement sounds rather immature and actually "new to the scene-ish" ... :smirk

Don't know how one actually being IN the scene could miss that FRN knives work great for many experienced knife users and are chosen for many other reasons than being cheap...;)

It works well for many users, probably even the (vast?) majority. But it's a fact (afaik) that it is also the cheapest scale material, despite the high initial costs of the molds. Or is stainless steel used in the tiny bugs cheaper. Idk. Most budget line Spydies and Byrds have FRN scales. Do they work well? Yes! Does the FRN keep costs low? Yes. Low cost is just another term for cheap, and vice versa. Nothing immature in using the term 'cheap'.

On a personal note, from a haptics point of view/touch: it feels cheap in MY hands, compared with G10/titanium/CF/micarta/even steel or aluminium. This is no 'FRN hate'. It's just the least wanted scale material for my Spydies.
Last edited by archangel on Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

This is an update photo from GP Knives Instagram story!

https://instagram.com/gpknives?utm_medium=copy_link

Ayoob sprint or exclusive run in Grey g10 and CruWear steel!
Last edited by Mushroom on Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zive

Post by Zive »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:54 pm

Ayoob sprint run in Grey g10 and CruWear steel!
Can’t wait!!! It’s going to be pandemonium when these drop. Hope I get lucky and manage to land one.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

archangel wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:15 pm
Gsg9 wrote:
JRinFL wrote:

It works well for many users, probably even the (vast?) majority. But it's a fact (afaik) that it is also the cheapest scale material, despite the high initial costs of the molds. Or is stainless steel used in the tiny bugs cheaper. Idk. Most budget line Spydies and Byrds have FRN scales. Do they work well? Yes! Does the FRN keep costs low? Yes. Low cost is just another term for cheap, and vice versa. Nothing immature in using the term 'cheap'.

On a personal note, from a haptics point of view/touch: it feels cheap in MY hands, compared with G10/titanium/CF/micarta/even steel or aluminium. This is no 'FRN hate'. It's just the least wanted scale material for my Spydies.

Sure!! I totally get that!

But it is not like as if FRN just "works for those looking for something cheap and people new to the scene" - My reply above was solely referring to that particular statement.

I for example am not new to the scene and don´t choose FRN knives because they are "cheap" (but sure this is a nice added bonus ;) )

Also not denying that FRN knives are generally comparably low cost indeed!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Mushroom wrote:
This is an update photo from GP Knives Instagram story!

Ayoob sprint run in Grey g10 and CruWear steel!
Finally and update worth posting! JD will be happy.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I think we will also get to see the Ayoob sprint in a video and hear Eric speak about it! GP Knives is recording their video of SHOT Show coverage and they posted a sneak peak for it on their Instagram Story, before they posted that Ayoob update.

I didn’t think to look at the knives on the table until they posted that Ayoob photo and I think I spotted it on the table with the other knives they’re showcasing.

What do you guys think?
(I added the red text and arrow)

GP Knives unedited original instagram story - https://i.imgur.com/V9ufNJQ.jpg