Shot Show 2022 News & Updates

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Shot Show 2022 News & Updates

Post by Doc Dan »

vivi wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:44 pm
Something about seeing the way the lil native looked in Erics grip actually made it appealing to me. The lack of a thumb ramp would go a long way towards making it ergonomic for me. Usually on small knives the thumb ramp is what creates grip issues in my hands. If I ever have a need for a tiny knife in the future I'll try one of them out.
With my baseball mitt hands it is a three and a half-finger knife and is very comfortable. No ramp means no cramp.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Cl1ff wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:46 pm
vivi wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:32 pm
Buddafucco wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:28 am
I know we've seen it before, but it's fun to see it again. Native Chief Lightweight from Knifecenter's IG

Ooooh, I thought these were going to be S30V. I'm definitely picking one up now. I really like BD1N, I use it at work all the time in the form of a Z Cut. I've been wanting to try it in a pocket knife form. Should help keep the cost around the $100-120 ball park too!
No, I believe he said the dot indicated that this particular knife was likely S30V and was not BD1N as it was marked. He said the normal steel will be BD1N.
I think I share that enthusiasm for BD1N, but I’m also pretty sure Eric said these weren’t necessarily gonna use the steel, they’re just samples meant for the show. Specifically, he says that dot or star after the steel label indicates it’s not final or something.
Probably s30v in the end.

Maybe I misheard, though.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Microjimbo. Everything else sounds like what Santas Little Helper hears.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:58 pm
vivi wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:47 pm
Evil D wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:23 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:01 pm
I've come to dislike the lock cutout area of compression locks during hard use, and that's at least one thing I don't have to worry about with the liner lock or a back lock. I want to be able to really bear down on a knife for however long I need to without worrying about hot spots and I can't really do that with a compression lock. It doesn't stop me from buying, but for the sake of discussion I'll always throw it out there. I like for my locks to "disappear" once the knife is open, I don't want to be concerned about them in any sort of way but the CL gives me a constant reminder that it's there when I'm using them hard. Maybe someday the button version will solve this issue for me.
vivi wrote: Funny how that is. For me the comp lock cutout doesn't interfere with my grip. My thumb goes forward of them when I'm resting it on the spine, and for really hard cuts my thumb is wrapped around the handle and the cutout gives me no hot spots.
But I think my liner lock models would be more comfortable without the large cutout for the lock release.

Might get to put that theory to test when the Millie 2 comes out and I can compare it side by side to the original.

It IS "funny" (like in "interesting") indeed.

A bit like vice versa the "Endura handle points" thing. They just never have me any issues, and in the I was really surprised that quite some people do have such, when I read it first

As we´ve discussed already, I honestly have excactly the same comp.lock issue as David: It is not a lock type for longer, harder cutting, due to the (for me) typical comp.lock cutout. One of the reasons why I feel it is not really suited for larger outdoor-ish folders like Millie or Caribbean, but more a cool choice for smaller "urban scenario" folders.

While the linerlock cutout actually can make a folder more comfortable, it can act like kind of a chamfering (does not have to necessarily though, but I never had any linerlock cutout that actually was uncomfortable)

Hope you DO "put the theory on test" and report back here!!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Hopsbreath wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:54 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:30 pm
olywa wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:11 pm
... I especially liked the comp shot next to the Stretch XL that Eric gave us in the Knife Center vid.....
He did? I'll have to re-watch the vid...
I had to go back and check it out too, snagged a screenshot. The comparison takes place at the 13:23 mark.
Thanks! :smiling-cheeks

What I can see immediately: I am almost 100% certain that I will prefer the shallower Stretch choil over the Chief choil.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Hopsbreath wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:54 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:30 pm
olywa wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:11 pm
... I especially liked the comp shot next to the Stretch XL that Eric gave us in the Knife Center vid.....
He did? I'll have to re-watch the vid...
I had to go back and check it out too, snagged a screenshot. The comparison takes place at the 13:23 mark.
thanks for that screenshot, I hadn't sat through the knife center vid, just the REC one.

Looking at them side by side, it's going to be close. I think the Chief ergos may have a slight edge for me with the lack of a spyderhole, but the SXL's 1.25oz lighter weight than the G10 Chief gives it an advantage, and it should be a touch easier to open.

Definitely in for one of each in FRN and base steel. Which one gets a salt version first will probably be the deciding factor for me. :thinking

I think I'll be able to find room for both in my sock drawer :cheap-sunglasses
:unicorn
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

We don't have any member here that went to the shot show ? Maybe someone could update us on the pm2 LW, the Native LW and the Mili2 ?

I wish I could fly to the US myself...
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Toucan wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:58 pm
Cl1ff wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:46 pm
vivi wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:32 pm
Buddafucco wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:28 am
I know we've seen it before, but it's fun to see it again. Native Chief Lightweight from Knifecenter's IG

Ooooh, I thought these were going to be S30V. I'm definitely picking one up now. I really like BD1N, I use it at work all the time in the form of a Z Cut. I've been wanting to try it in a pocket knife form. Should help keep the cost around the $100-120 ball park too!
I think I share that enthusiasm for BD1N, but I’m also pretty sure Eric said these weren’t necessarily gonna use the steel, they’re just samples meant for the show. Specifically, he says that dot or star after the steel label indicates it’s not final or something.
Probably s30v in the end.

Maybe I misheard, though.
I'd rather it be BD1N too. S30V is great and all, but BD1N seems so much better in the cost to performance ratio.

Watching the KnifeCenter video right now, and Eric says they will be in BD1N (at about 8:10).

Sounds good to me, and should keep the price lower than if it were S30V.
Jason

Current Rotation:
Pacific Salt 2 PE (H1)
Spydiechef
Stretch 2 (K390)
Chaparral LW
Dragonfly 2 Salt SE (Bonus 2nd blade!)
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Manix LW going to screwed construction is honestly the best thing coming out of shot show so far.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Urban looks OK but the price is out of this world, in EU you can buy 2-3 M390/Ti/Micarta/Wood slipjoints from Lionsteel or Viper for the price of that Urban.

Stovepipe can be used as a multitool just as I figured but the we felt that it doesn't need a steel insert story is absolutely not OK.

In this day and age and especially at this price point they should add a steel insert regardless of what they feel.
Just Do it!

After japanese models moved from G10 into cheapweights, PM3s and now Native Chief follows, Native Chief G10 not selling well? Does this mean that G10 models made in Golden will eventually dissapear being replaced with cheapweights, is this the definitive trend?

Military 2, some guy said that he joined the forum many years ago just for this...

I really hope the SPY27 Military Sal mentioned he carries in his pocket makes it into production, that's a definite buy for me.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Gsg9 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:17 am

I really hope the SPY27 Military Sal mentioned he carries in his pocket makes it into production, that's a definite buy for me.
What if it is a lightweight? :winking-tongue
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:31 am
Gsg9 wrote:

Sorry, but after G10, CF, Ti/Flutted Ti, CF + Ti I'm not gonna buy a Lightcheapweight Military, I'll buy the G10 SPY27 Military if that model sees the light of the day.

Maybe Lightcheapweights will work for the young guns new to the scene or anybody else just looking for something... cheap

AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

JRinFL wrote:
Gsg9 wrote:

That's blasphemy!
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

https://youtu.be/4t6_3HtUyw0&ab_channel=KIMO365
archangel

Post by archangel »

AlexRus wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:52 am
JRinFL wrote:
Gsg9 wrote:

That's blasphemy!

Indeed. I'm afraid though it might happen. I share Gsg9's sentiments. Not EVERYTHING must be made LW. But it seems it will. :nauseated
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

For the record, I was joking about the LW Military. I doubt it would happen and I never heard speculation that it was even being considered. I was just pulling GSG9's leg. I find LWs useful, but not in the Military model.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:58 am
For the record, I was joking about the LW Military. I doubt it would happen and I never heard speculation that it was even being considered. I was just pulling GSG9's leg. I find LWs useful, but not in the Military model.
The G10 Military Model IS lightweight. That’s one of its magical properties. When people talk about an LW Military, they’re really talking about a featherweight.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Any Shot Show attendees here see a Shaman choil-less among the prototypes?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
vivi

Post by vivi »

Chief can't be selling too poorly considering the number of sprints. It isn't unusual for popular models to be offered in multiple scale options.
:unicorn
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:06 am
JRinFL wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:58 am
The G10 Military Model IS lightweight. That’s one of its magical properties. When people talk about an LW Military, they’re really talking about a featherweight.
I think there's diminishing returns to how much light a knife should be (controversial I know). There's a balance between too heavy in a pocket and too light in the hands.

The Native 5 LW feels too light in the hands to me... It's almost like I'm handling a toy, it lacks substance to me. I'm way more attracted to it being FRN rather than it being as lightweight as possible.

Same feeling for the Griptilian 551. I've always find the feeling was completely off on that knife. It feels too light in the hands for what it is. Something the Hogue version completely solved. It's heavier, but it feels like it should.

I'd gladly take a FRN Mili, because I think FRN is superior to G10 in many ways, but making the Mili even lighter would feel off.