Spyderco knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
yogibearal

Re: Spyderco knives

Post by yogibearal »

For me, blade shapes, bevel, material all play a big part, but under 3" is usually more for convenience, utility, and control.

I fish on a boat and use lots of ropes, on more than one occasion, a combo or full serrated under 3" blade gave me the control and correct pressures needed to cut through the rope quickly in a tight spot.

Box cutting is also one of the more common uses at home where a bigger knife isn't always the safest or needed. Small sheeps foot blade works great.

For EDC, the convenience of having it in your 5th pocket is great. Better than not having a knife at all. "Not threatening" is a phrase I often hear from non knife carrying friends\family. When I pull out a larger knife like the military is a way different reaction than when I pull out a native 5, Delica, Meadowlark (Byrd). :)

On my less expensive knives I use them as wire cutters, screw drivers etc.... All where smaller is better. Maybe not the best use of a knife but in a pinch it isn't bad.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:10 am
Why specifically Spyderco sub-3" knives? The phrasing of this question is odd.
My guess would be "Google translate/American English not first language". We tend to forget the Internet is global.

earlschmidt, Welcome to our forum. While I prefer longer blades in general, sub 3" blades will actually do most of what I normally do on a day to day basis.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

earlschmidt wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:42 pm
What use does a knife, specifically Spyderco knives, with a blade shorter than three inches at the minimum length, have?
Is this a trick question?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Earl never came back, so I'm just gonna skip this one...

If it's sharp, it cuts.
So it goes.
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

It doesn’t take a big knife to do 90% of my edc task , and I carry I small S30v 2 inch blade
It opens feed bags, cut my food @ lunch, skins some game, rope, string, boxes, tape
Size is objective, it’s how you use it

And if you wip out a big lunker in public it scares some folks, so I got work knives big , medium, small :shush
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
earlschmidt

Post by earlschmidt »

thank you
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

I prefer 3 inches or smaller for a pocket knife. It takes up less room in the pocket and does 99+% of anything I need from a knife. Indeed, I wish Spyderco had a larger variety of sub 3 inch knives in premium materials on offer.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I think everyone interprets the blade shape (and by extent, length) to a particular use or several.

For example, as a teacher, I use my Ladybug a whole lot to replace a box cutter for cutting tasks like particular forms in sheets of paper or bristol.
It's not threatening, and kids don't even see it since I cut at my desk and it's always on me without any chance to fall and create a dangerous situation.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds