Need help: Remedying gritty action on stainless steel Endura (no disassembly, no screws at all!)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
metaphoricalsimile

Re: Need help: Remedying gritty action on stainless steel Endura (no disassembly, no screws at all!)

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

I just think if it's a big concern, if you follow the principle of "like dissolves like" to remove the more-toxic solvent with a food safe oil, and finish any solvent regime with soap and water followed by isopropyl you're going to get nearly anything off the blade that hasn't chemically reacted with it, or elsewise formed super strong bonds. At that point, if it's bonded so well that solvents followed by surfactants followed by volatile low-molecular-weight solvents doesn't remove it, neither is your food going to.
Bloke

Re: Need help: Remedying gritty action on stainless steel Endura (no disassembly, no screws at all!)

Post by Bloke »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:06 pm
Bloke wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:54 pm

Six extra holes adjacent the pivot to allow for ingress of all sorts of shite.

The price you pay for choice of clip placement.
True, but only for tip DOWN.
If a tip UP option is added (to a tip down option), this is no problem imho cause the holes for tip up are pretty much on the other side of the handle as the pivot is
Hey Gernot, the tip up, down and sideways debate rages. Ah, hahaha!

Either ways, I can’t quite make sense of what you write (above) and it doesn’t matter at all mate.

Here are my two most used folders. Both designed by Mr Glesser as it goes.

Can you see what they have in common and how they differ from most other Spyders and others? :winking-tongue
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:08 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:06 pm
Bloke wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:54 pm

Six extra holes adjacent the pivot to allow for ingress of all sorts of shite.

The price you pay for choice of clip placement.
True, but only for tip DOWN.
If a tip UP option is added (to a tip down option), this is no problem imho cause the holes for tip up are pretty much on the other side of the handle as the pivot is
Hey Gernot, the tip up, down and sideways debate rages. Ah, hahaha!

Either ways, I can’t quite make sense of what you write (above) and it doesn’t matter at all mate.
No intention to participate in a "clip position debate", my friend! ;)

Yeah, my comment was a bit confusing I guess:

All It tried to say is this:

- Uncovered holes for the clip screw do only matter in the tip down placement when it comes to letting dirt to the pivot, cause, well, that´s where the pivot is
- Open holes in the tip UP position don´t matter at all imho when it comes to keeping the pivot clean, cause they are almost as far as possible away from the pivot area
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Monty wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:43 pm
I didn't read the whole thread so maybe this has been suggested...

If all else fails find a gun shop that does ultrasonic cleaning. A few minutes will have everything out.
That´s actually something I´ve never even heard of, thanks!
Just not too many gun shops here in Salzburg /Austria / Europe, but there are still two I think - though more for hunting rifles than hand guns, but that won´t matter in this regard I guess
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:28 pm
Try this: Get some old fashioned white toothpaste. Fill the knife pivot and lock area with it and work the blade, lock bar in contact with the tang. Work it, fill with more paste, and work it some more. No water. It should feel very rough and gritty. After a hundred or so openings and closings, rinse out the knife really well and oil it. It will likely be like butter, after all of that.

Thanks, Doc, I´ll try this today just like you and Spoonrobot suggested! :smiling-cheeks
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:33 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:28 pm
Try this: Get some old fashioned white toothpaste. Fill the knife pivot and lock area with it and work the blade, lock bar in contact with the tang. Work it, fill with more paste, and work it some more. No water. It should feel very rough and gritty. After a hundred or so openings and closings, rinse out the knife really well and oil it. It will likely be like butter, after all of that.

Thanks, Doc, I´ll try this today just like you and Spoonrobot suggested! :smiling-cheeks
I didn't see his (her) post on this. Toothpaste is a mild abrasive so it may take a little while of doing this. It is not aggressive, at all. However, it is very easy to clean out with just water once you're done.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

After backpacking trips getting the action of my pinned Delica 3 gritty, I would throw it in the dishwasher.
I like Vivi's method of submerging it in a bowl of water and working the action.
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

Tetrachloroethane or perc was used as a metal degreaser. Once it evaporates, there is no residue left on the metal. You wont find perc or its cousin trichloroethane in any over the counter products anymore as they have been replaced with less toxic alternatives.

Benzene is found in gasoline. You better not fill up your car or you're gonna die.

I have been working as an environmental professional for over 30 years, and the fear mongering of industrial chemicals and products and lack of understanding of exposure pathways by unnamed members here is truly mind blowing.

As they say, stay in your lane.
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:31 am
Monty wrote:

If all else fails find a gun shop that does ultrasonic cleaning. A few minutes will have everything out.
Just not too many gun shops here in Salzburg /Austria / Europe, but there are still two I think - though more for hunting rifles than hand guns, but that won´t matter in this regard I guess
Jewelers also have ultrasonic cleaners.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Ultrasonic cleaners are also not overly expensive. Many home units are light duty, but how often will you use it? One a week, once a month?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Superflex wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:59 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:31 am
Monty wrote:

Jewelers also have ultrasonic cleaners.

Thanks! Tbh I did not even know that something like such cleaners actually exist.... :worried
jacala

Post by jacala »

Superflex,
Sorry, off the subject,but !!!
In the mid 1970's I owned a Ford Falcon (351) GTHO and used to add a couple of gallons of Methyl Benzine to prevent
"pinging". Also previous to that I owned a hotted-up Morris Mini and added M/Benzine for the same reason.
Worked fine , no damaged valves etc.
VWTattoo

Post by VWTattoo »

Definitely a small ultrasonic cleaner for home isn’t expensive, though an endura might be a tight fit, closed. I can also suggest a steam cleaner to blast steam in the pivot and heat up/ break up / blast away the crud you have going on in there. Both a small steam cleaner and an ultrasonic cleaner are invaluable tools to have.

Good luck, and as a side note, my SS SE Endura II is my first ever Spyderco purchased in 98, and it still cuts like a chainsaw. I carry it quite regularly, so it’s great to see another one being used.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

VWTattoo wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:04 am
..... I can also suggest a steam cleaner to blast steam in the pivot and heat up/ break up / blast away the crud you have going on in there. Both a small steam cleaner and an ultrasonic cleaner are invaluable tools to have.

Good luck, and as a side note, my SS SE Endura II is my first ever Spyderco purchased in 98, and it still cuts like a chainsaw. I carry it quite regularly, so it’s great to see another one being used.

Thanks for your help! :)

/ So yours does also still have the hollow sabre grind?
For me the "hollow" - thing makes for a huge difference to "just" sabre. It is actually a great cutter, and the tip somehow the "best of both worlds" - not as thin and potentially fragile as in ffg, but also not that overly sturdy (and by that imho less useful) as on a true sabre grind.
VWTattoo

Post by VWTattoo »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:25 am
/ So yours does also still have the hollow sabre grind?
Mine is an AUS-6 Version, from just before they switched to ATS-55. So yes, it does, and the AUS-6 is easy to touch up even in Serrated flavor. ;)
K1500

Post by K1500 »

I wonder if it is galling? If so, no amount of flushing and lubing will really help. It can happen if a knife is completely stripped of all lube and opened and closed. It doesn’t always happen, but it can cause a gritty feel.
ekastanis

Post by ekastanis »

Superflex wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:58 am
Tetrachloroethane or perc was used as a metal degreaser. Once it evaporates, there is no residue left on the metal. You wont find perc or its cousin trichloroethane in any over the counter products anymore as they have been replaced with less toxic alternatives.
Perchloroethane is hexachloroethane. If you mean perchloroethylene (= tetrachloroethylene), it is still widely used as brake parts cleaner. See the MSDS for this product which I buy regularly:

https://www.crcindustries.com/products/ ... z-306.html

They make a non-chlorinated version too (a mixture of methanol, toluene, heptane and acetone), which makes a great general purpose solvent spray, but for brake jobs I use perc. Neither leaves any residue (a basic requirement for a brake part cleaner).