Any New SPY27 Models?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JSumm

Any New SPY27 Models?

Post by JSumm »

I know costs have been prohibited for some. My hope was cost would go down as more was used, but we have not seen any new models announced with SPY27.

This steel really checks a lot of boxes for me personally. I can get a real "biting" edge fairly easily with it. Part of the "why" behind Sal's design I believe. Easy to sharpen. It appears HRC has been between 61-62. So should prove to be a very stable edge.

Hoping this steel would make it to the Seki lineup. It's design started from VG-10, so I think it would be cool to see the evolution shown in the Endura Family.

Anyways, I am sitting here sipping coffee with my Manix in SPY27 wondering which model could be next. I know other fancy steels have stolen the spotlight, but it would be nice for this steel to shine in other models.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
ladybug93

Re: Any New SPY27 Models?

Post by ladybug93 »

i'd still like to see it in a heavyweight manix, but i'm wondering if magnacut has stolen some of the thunder from spy27. or maybe it's just not as good of a value as other similar steels and isn't selling as well as spyderco hoped?
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

MC has stolen the thunder for sure.

From a value standpoint, the value is definitely not there right now. I figured an exclusive steel from Crucible for 1 knife maker will definitely be costly. I was hoping that cost would drop if more were made. It is really a fine well rounded steel. Really the only thing holding it back is the price. I really do think a lot of people would enjoy it if it was more widely offered.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:52 am

From a value standpoint, the value is definitely not there right now. I figured an exclusive steel from Crucible for 1 knife maker will definitely be costly. I was hoping that cost would drop if more were made. It is really a fine well rounded steel. Really the only thing holding it back is the price. I really do think a lot of people would enjoy it if it was more widely offered.
Hi Jeff ! Sal did say there will be at least a sprint run of the Stretch XL in SPY27 . A Manix G10 that ladybug93 suggested would also make sense there is already a lwt in the Manix2 lineup . Myself , I would like to see a sprint in the Manix 2 XL , it needs some love ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Stretch XL and Manix XL would be really cool. Honestly, if the Stretch XL came out in SPY27 and K390, I would be perfectly content in buying a handful of those and retiring. Throw in a Salt version and your needs are covered.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
MyelinSheath&Borborygmi

Post by MyelinSheath&Borborygmi »

Military in SPY27 would be AWESOME!
Matus

Post by Matus »

I can’t help but think that mainly because of the MC the Spy27 may be left mainly for sprint runs.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:55 am

Anyways, I am sitting here sipping coffee with my Manix in SPY27 wondering which model could be next. I know other fancy steels have stolen the spotlight, but it would be nice for this steel to shine in other models.
The only SPY27 I have is the Mule. It's been assigned to the kitchen. Despite being too short for an optimum kitchen knife, it's still become my go-to. It's just fun to use and it keeps a nice edge.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

I haven't got any SPY27 yet, but it really sounds good for my purposes and especially considering I'm still working on my sharpening skills. Hoping that I can get the Stretch 2 XL in this steel if they make it. Cobalt blue FRN would be great with that handle.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Sal said that the non-limited release Mule blade would be in SPY27. Should be a stocked item if sales are strong enough.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

JSumm wrote:

Silly as it sounds, my second spy27 purchase came about like this: I'm sittin' around, really happy with my Native27, really excited about MagnaCut coming out, perusing charts and numbers when they're posted, etc.

And then it hits me.

What if SPY27 gets cannibalized?

All in all it was a sneaky way for me to convince myself I should get a new knife, BUT, it does worry me. As y'all have said, the price worries me too. Not because I wouldn't keep paying a little more for it, but because others might feel it's too big of a hurdle just to try a new steel they may or may not like. That price gap between the standard Native5, Para3 and Manix2 Lightweights and their spycraft counterparts is a bit large. Perhaps if Seki could be shipped an order of it for lady/manbugs it could get into more hands? Apologies though, I don't mean to presume what can and can't be done easily by/for Spyderco as a company, and I know it must have been oh so expensive to get this steel to market at all. Just spitballing.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm still very interested in trying it out in SE.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Spydergoat,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

In what area does spy27 excel? The edge it takes?
sal

Post by sal »

MyelinSheath&Borborygmi wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:20 am
Military in SPY27 would be AWESOME!

Hi MyelinSheath,

Welcome to our forum.

I've been carrying one for a few days. I asked Roque, our prototype maker, to make one for me. Nice piece for me.

sal
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Another Mule Team run of SPY27 may give it more exposure. SPY27 got squeezed by cost, S45VN and MagnaCut.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Spicy Suplex wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:03 pm
JSumm wrote:

Silly as it sounds, my second spy27 purchase came about like this: I'm sittin' around, really happy with my Native27, really excited about MagnaCut coming out, perusing charts and numbers when they're posted, etc.

And then it hits me.

What if SPY27 gets cannibalized?

All in all it was a sneaky way for me to convince myself I should get a new knife, BUT, it does worry me. As y'all have said, the price worries me too. Not because I wouldn't keep paying a little more for it, but because others might feel it's too big of a hurdle just to try a new steel they may or may not like. That price gap between the standard Native5, Para3 and Manix2 Lightweights and their spycraft counterparts is a bit large. Perhaps if Seki could be shipped an order of it for lady/manbugs it could get into more hands? Apologies though, I don't mean to presume what can and can't be done easily by/for Spyderco as a company, and I know it must have been oh so expensive to get this steel to market at all. Just spitballing.
It may ultimately just be left for exclusives or sprint runs. Which is a shame. Cost aside, it would make a real good steel introduction to Spyderco.

The lady bug/man bug is a great idea. May be less cost prohibitive to reach a larger audience.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:33 pm
I wouldn't necessarily says it excels (best in class) for any category. Where Maxamet excels in edge retention and H-1 excels in corrosion resistance there are trade offs. SPY27 is a great middle group steel that does a lot well, but not best in class. It takes a great edge fairly easily. And strops back well. It is a great user steel that performs at a higher level than budget steels, but can be sharpened by those who let's say may struggle or don't have the equipment for some of the high edge retention steels. I have sharpened it with a field sharpener and can get a great edge. And it last a good while.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:36 pm
GarageBoy wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:33 pm
I wouldn't necessarily says it excels (best in class) for any category. Where Maxamet excels in edge retention and H-1 excels in corrosion resistance there are trade offs. SPY27 is a great middle group steel that does a lot well, but not best in class. It takes a great edge fairly easily. And strops back well. It is a great user steel that performs at a higher level than budget steels, but can be sharpened by those who let's say may struggle or don't have the equipment for some of the high edge retention steels. I have sharpened it with a field sharpener and can get a great edge. And it last a good while.
Good analysis of spy27
I got to use a native spy27 for a week, when my buddy left his for me to sharpen and use briefly
It sharpen well , strop back nice , I was thinking it would be be nice for a base line standard spyderco would offer in more knives, S35v, s45v, now magna seems to be getting more press time , that’s a lot of the same class CPM metal to compete with each other. 27 was never offered in fully serrated? So it’s still on my wish list, but vg10 and 20cv ,S35v are easy to find in my favorite designs In PE and so that’s my main rotation ,
When the XL stretch hits in SE vg10 it’s game time, and I can’t get worked up about manga & spy27 and the lack of design motivation.
It’s basically a good steel looking for a permanent home IMO :face-clouds
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

Does it actually offer any performance benefits over S35vn that, on paper at least, looks like it has nearly identical performance for lower price?