Playing favorites

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Playing favorites

Post by Evil D »

vivi wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:05 pm

ever consider hunting down a second autonomy and modding it? you could get about 90% there by taking a stock one to a sander I'd imagine. You could get that tip shape I believe, but you'd have to sacrifice a couple mm cutting edge.

I've been watching for the orange non DLC to come back in stock, I plan to at least round off the tip into more of a wharnie so it can penetrate better. It won't have any belly but will make holes better. I'd do that with mine but I just can't bring myself to grind off all the DLC.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I s’pose anyone’s favourite would have to be the knife they carry and use most.

That being the case, my little SE, HB Ladybug must be my favourite. ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

vivi wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:05 pm
Kevinim82 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:46 pm
I started my Spyderco journey with the maxamet N5 LW (just a short 4-5 years ago.) N5 my favorite edc platform, I like that the N5 LW comes in so much variety from the factory. N5 all the way.
It's always nice when a favorite gets a healthy variety of runs! Hard to beat the variety the Native gets run in.

Have you tried any of the other sizes in the Native family?
I have tried the lil, it wasn’t for me. It was like trying a pair of shoes that just didn’t fit. The compression lock on it just didn’t fit me ergonomically (it was awkward.)

I eye the chief, but am happy in the large knife realm with a military and a caribbean. If I ever make it to SFO, I will ask to see the chief in person see if it fits my hands.

Thanks for the question.
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

One of the biggest joys for me in this hobby has become accumulating and experimenting with as many models as I can get my hands on. The problem with this is that it makes determining a singular "favorite" model next to impossible. There are certain design attributes that I prefer over others for sure, but asking me to pick just one knife.. my mind kind of goes blank hahah.. I honestly don't know that I could ever land on just one model.. there are just so many GREAT options to pick from! For example.. this past weekend, I carried my Shaman.. earlier this week, it was the k390 Stretch 2.. yesterday/today, the Kapara.. if it's based on most carried, well then it's my Jester or Manbug for sure.. I don't consider any of these "favorites," but they are all fantastic knives that I enjoy carrying immensely.. hahah, how can anyone decide on just one model! Throwing other brands into the mix muddies the waters even more for me hahah..

I've always considered myself fortunate that I don't have to pick just one knife! Hearing that the man himself "just can't do it" makes me feel a whole lot better about my indecision!
:zany
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:30 pm
I s’pose anyone’s favourite would have to be the knife they carry and use most.

That being the case, my little SE, HB Ladybug must be my favourite. ;)

I have at least two versions of "favorite", and they're usually what I most favor using and what is most sentimental to me.

Favorite user is probably that Autonomy.

Favorite sentimental is either the Ayoob my wife got me or the Shaman Sal sent me. I couldn't part with either.
Last edited by Evil D on Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

My favorites are pm2, gb2, chief....
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:37 pm
I have at least two versions of "favorite", and they're usually what I most favor using and what is most sentimental to me.

Favorite user is probably that Autonomy.

Favorite sentimental is either the Ayoob my wife got me or the Shaman Sal sent me. I couldn't part with either.
Too true, D! And something I didn’t take into consideration even though I too have a few other favourites also.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

For all time favorite Spydie it would be a real tough call between a Stretch 2 K390 and a Paramilitary 2 S110V. Which I would choose if really pressed would depend on the day. Today it would be the Stretch.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
vivi

Post by vivi »

S-3 ranch wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:47 pm
sal wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:56 pm
Sorry Vivi,

I just can't do it. :hot-face

sal
Yeah :grin-squint seems the regular posters want H1 in everything , lots of stainless steel that is ignored sitting in the que
And yes we know they have muriatic acidity sweat ;)

:eye-roll :eye-roll :eye-roll
:unicorn
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

No need to wonder.

The Dragonfly2 is the only knife I carried for EDC for a long time. Nothing has come close to changing that.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

D4 since the day I got one which was many many years ago. Easy call for me.
Last edited by cycleguy on Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So many knives - so little funds!!!
James Y

Post by James Y »

I can’t do it either. I cannot say I have one favorite. When it comes to my knives, I cannot be monogamous. I’ve had favorites for a while, then it changes; then eventually I circle back again. I can say among my current favorites are:

Native Chief
G10 Manix 2
PM2
Para 3
Military

Then again, there’s so many more…🤔

Jim
Holland

Post by Holland »

Awesome thread.

My most carried is by far my Dragonfly.

But if I could only keep one, I would flip a coin between the Mantra 1 and Chaparral 1

They are by far my favourite spyderco designs. The last few months, they havent seen any pocket time however, as I got a sebenza in November and I'm still enjoying the honeymoon phase
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I have quite a few Spydercos, and have had a few years to give each time. To get to know each one, and to get over the honeymoon period with something new and different.

I have to say, I end up carrying a PM2 more than any other. The Shaman is a close runner up. I guess I like the compression lock, and what is not to like? The blade size is just right for about everything I do, and they fit my hand nicely.

All that being said, I have lots of favorites, and variety is a wonderful thing.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Gun to my head and "you can only have one"... I´d get shot before could decide between these two options :grin-sweat :

1.) My HAP 40 Endura (but if I could only have one folder I´d perhaps swap the Micarta scales from my VG10 Endura to the HAP40) - this is what I´d just "like" the most (and FRN would certainly be more practical than Micarta)

2.) My Pac Salt 1 SE (H1): The best do it all, most practical, handles-most-scenarios-at-least-decently option I have

....and if I could dream up my "can only have one" Spydie - well, some might know what comes next: Just a plain, jane VG10 Endura in SE . but with regular (not wharnie) blade shape and in ffg (not sg)

...and as said here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=91559#p1590234: The FRN Chief, Leaf Jumper "XL" ("Cliff Jumper"), Stretch XL all have the potential to change the above said... :smirk
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Curently P'kal, Police4, Chief
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
kobold

Post by kobold »

TL,DR: Ultimately I would probably go with the GB2.

The large (cold season) category is a tie between my Millies (S90V, S110V) and the Chiefs (S90V, Rex45) right now, although I think my SE sheepfoot Caribbean is right up there too.

My small size EDC favorites are my clip-less Chaps, then the Maxamet Sage, and then the Maxamet Para3, not only because they have the nicest (custom) handle materials, but great steel, action, blade and patina too.
The FRN Natives can be used harder. So although for yard work nothing beats the SE Tasman Salt 2, the Native Salt SE is not too far behind it and it is a bit more versatile.

So, these are my most used knives.

Yet, if I would have to pick only one Spyderco folder from my collection, I would probably go middle of the road in size with the SpydieChef, the Swayback, the GB2, the Maxamet PM2 or the S110V Manix 2. I would also like to try the CruCarta PM2.
Since I like M4 and hollow grinds a lot and I also like the design, looks, ergos of the GB2, that is what I would pick despite the weak detent..
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I have owned most of the flag ship models, a few quirky ones, and nothing has ever slowed the chase like the Dfly Wharncliffe. It made the Dfly slightly more robust, can clip or float in pocket, and the geometry is spot on. I have never had the kind of willpower this knife has created
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Favorite for known knife duty - i.e. my camping/backpacking folder, or other (typically) outdoor occasions where I will be using my knife consistently. Spyderco Military in 204P (other favorite steel/scale combos: 52100, Cruwear, or the KW S90V CF/Ti). Native Chief hasn't dethroned this. Maybe the SSS XL could dethrone this? Time will tell.

Most carried - I've nearly always got a DF2 riding clipless in my pocket. ZDP is easily my favorite DF2 flavor.

If I could only have 1 knife forever (oh the horror of having to pick one), it would be the Endela in K390. Great size, exceptional steel, and my preferences have trended towards backlocks. Maybe a SSS in K390 would dethrone this?

And my overall favorite? For a long time, it has been my Techno in XHP. I really love this knife. It's quirky and unique, fits my hand well. I've also taken this knife on numerous trips so it has lots of sentimental value. It doesn't get carried as much as it should, but everytime I pick it up, it brings a smile to my face. Love the design, the size, the carry - everything is great!
MNOSD member 0030
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Been carrying the same burgundy Micarta Jester on my key ring and one Kiwi or another in my watch pocket virtually every day for about 18 years. As for larger folders, it's pretty much been one Stretch or another since it first came out in late '04. Most used honors would have to go to the K04 Large Utility Knife that Araneae was kind enough to turn into a "mini santoku" for me.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!