Stretch XL discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JSumm

Re: Stretch XL discussion

Post by JSumm »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:50 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:37 pm
sal wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:15 pm
I just received the prototype made from tooling.... I'm planning the design in VG-10, CPM-Cruwear, K390 and a sprint in SPY27.

I hope you like it.
sal

Oh wow, thanks Steelcity for reposting this. I had missed it. I'd be thrilled with any of the last three steels.
I wish we had a crystal ball to know timeframe. Those are great choices! Based on exclusives slowing down my guess would be 1-2 years before we see those. For that reason, I'll get 1 in VG-10.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

Blnd wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:58 pm
I would take a stretch JR over a Para 3. Just like I’d take the stretch over the PM2.

The XL is a wicked option for a quasi “backlock military” I like it.
The RockJumper may just be your knife then, it has the "Stretch" handle, and is smaller than a Stretch1/Stretch2, i.e. Para3-ish sized.

This Stretch XL may well make it onto my "buy" list, sooner than later.

u.w.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I wonder: Given a long blade and a fine tip, are the relatively tougher steels (CruWear @ 23, or SPY27 @ 8-9 ft lbs) a better fit for the SXL? K390's toughness is unknown to me, but guessing around 7-9 ft lbs. VG-10's toughness is only around 6.
Last edited by Bolster on Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

u.w. wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:18 pm
Blnd wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:58 pm
I would take a stretch JR over a Para 3. Just like I’d take the stretch over the PM2.

The XL is a wicked option for a quasi “backlock military” I like it.
The RockJumper may just be your knife then, it has the "Stretch" handle, and is smaller than a Stretch1/Stretch2, i.e. Para3-ish sized.

This Stretch XL may well make it onto my "buy" list, sooner than later.

u.w.
Wharncliffe and no choil is a no-go.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Endura Killer?

Dimensionally, the Stretch 2 XL is close to the Endura, except the S2XL is substantially lighter. In my opinion, the S2XL is much prettier. The curve of the handle is much more elegant, and the shape of the blade is more svelte. Infrequently mentioned is how the finger-choil knives look better when closed. This looks like a winner.

kobold

Post by kobold »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:50 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:37 pm
sal wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:15 pm
I just received the prototype made from tooling.... I'm planning the design in VG-10, CPM-Cruwear, K390 and a sprint in SPY27.

I hope you like it.
sal

Oh wow, thanks Steelcity for reposting this. I had missed it. I'd be thrilled with any of the last three steels.

I hope at least one of these comes with steel liners and the classic blade shape!
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Matus

Post by Matus »

k390 or Cruwear would be great (even though for this knife I would probably choose MagnaCut, but hey, who knows), but frankly I don’t expect them to hit the stores before 2023 … We are yet to see the Cru-Carta PM2 here in EU.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

RustyIron wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:31 pm

Endura Killer?

Dimensionally, the Stretch 2 XL is close to the Endura, except the S2XL is substantially lighter. In my opinion, the S2XL is much prettier. The curve of the handle is much more elegant, and the shape of the blade is more svelte. Infrequently mentioned is how the finger-choil knives look better when closed. This looks like a winner.

Yes! I have always thought the Police & Stretch 2 look so much better than the Endura family closed.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Just now really read the text beneath the Stretch XL pic in the Reveal, and actually it made me grin a bit - one part could actually have been written by me, since this is exactly how I often compared knives in this forum already by calculating differences in percentages, handle to blade length ratios and so on :zany

"Inspired by its progenitor, the Stretch 2, the XL version extends the designs overall length by 8 percent, while packing 13 percent more blade length... / its linerless ... handle actually reduces its weight by 29 % compared to the Stretch 2..."

Actually even more impressive is that the XL has just 5 percent more CLOSED length, but offering that 13 % more blade...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

That just because the choil stays the same, so it increases blade length to choil length.

Spyderco has changed handle designs across the board, liner less metal PM2, native chief and Frn designs. I like when a company is sneaky and does some cool things under the hood!
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:57 pm
Just now really read the text beneath the Stretch XL pic in the Reveal, and actually it made me grin a bit - one part could actually have been written by me, since this is exactly how I often compared knives in this forum already by calculating differences in percentages, handle to blade length ratios and so on :zany

"Inspired by its progenitor, the Stretch 2, the XL version extends the designs overall length by 8 percent, while packing 13 percent more blade length... / its linerless ... handle actually reduces its weight by 29 % compared to the Stretch 2..."

Actually even more impressive is that the XL has just 5 percent more CLOSED length, but offering that 13 % more blade...
When I got my first Stretch over 10 years ago, I called it my "knife geek knife."

If you asked me then, the ZDP-189 Stretch was the pinnacle of EDC pocket knife design, chock-full of CQI innovations. FFG blade, lightweight bi-directional FRN construction, high-end Japanese steel near 70rc, 50/50 choil, 4-direction clip, 14mm round hole, etc. Sure it was a bit fugly, but man once you learned to appreciate the details it was just impossible to beat.

The stats you quoted from the Reveal definitely continue this "knife geek" tradition for me. Very stoked on this knife.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Snacktime wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:11 pm
That just because the choil stays the same, so it increases blade length to choil length.

... I don´t understand?! :thinking

- The XL has just 8 % more overall length, and just 5 % more closed length, but the BLADE length is 13% more than on the Stretch 2 - In this calculation it does not matter what amount of the blade is choil, and what is edge.
Ergo: More percent of the overall length are actual blade on the XL than on the Stretch 2, so the XL has a better "overall/closed length to blade ration"

- As far as cutting edge goes:
The XL has a closed length of 126 mm, and a cutting edge of 88 mm - that´s about 70 %
The Stretch 2 has a closed length of 120 mm, and a cutting edge of 76 mm - that´s about 62,5 %
Ergo: The XL also has a better "closed length to cutting edge ratio"

I am pretty sure that this is achieved by filling all the available space in the XL handle with blade (a bit sadly not the case with the Stretch 2)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Sal and team obviously pay attention to the forum and all the interesting stats thrown around. They were definitely listening on this design. I am not sure what the turnaround from Reveal Announcement to retail store is. Really hope we are able to see it this year in stores.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Does anyone know when this knife will be available? Can't wait to get my pre-order!
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

You can pre-order at Blade HQ. I am sure other retailers will start Pre-order soon if they are.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

What’s nice about this early version is that it’s not very attractive to flippers, but is VERY attractive to real Spyderco users. I’ll take linerless FRN and VG-10 any day :)
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

JSumm wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:50 pm
You can pre-order at Blade HQ. I am sure other retailers will start Pre-order soon if they are.
Also at KnifeCenter.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:31 pm
I am pretty sure that this is achieved by filling all the available space in the XL handle with blade (a bit sadly not the case with the Stretch 2)

I wonder if the pivot also got moved a bit forward? That's another way to pack more blade into the handle...
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:24 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:31 pm

I wonder if the pivot also got moved a bit forward? That's another way to pack more blade into the handle...

It does not look like that, but who knows...

I actually also never checked if the Stretch 1 has the pivot a bit further forward than the Stretch 2. The "1" is actually 7 mm shorter when closed than the "2", but still offers 2mm more blade, and 6mm more actual cutting edge (even a bit more when compared not to the SS, but the "regular" Stretch 2) - always thought this is solely due to the more handle filling blade of the "1"

Meaning that the Stretch 1 is even more "closed length to edge" efficient than the new Stretch XL:
- Stretch 1: Edge length about 72% of the closed length
- Stretch XL: Edge lentgh about 70% of the closed length
(Not a relevant difference in "real life" of course).
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:13 pm
JSumm wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:50 pm
Also at KnifeCenter.

Don´t think with this model I can wait till it hits European stores... and Knife Center as well as BHQ do ship to "us" over here... :smirk