Spyderco's ATS-55 Era of the late 90s

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: Spyderco's ATS-55 Era of the late 90s

Post by JD Spydo »

That's interesting "Fireman". Because most of the time when I chat with someone who has old-school Spyders to show me most often they usually have old ATS-55 models to show me. I see more of the folders out of the ATS-55 era than I do about any other old-school Spyder from almost any other era as well. I see more ATS-55 models than I do with ATS-34, AUS-8 or even GIN-1. And I know that there are probably more of those others that were sold over the years.

But there is some type of mystique about the ATS-55 era Spyders. They just seem to last virtually forever. Just like my Stainless Handled RESCUE model. I've tried to wear it out and I can't. My old C-44 Dyad with the ATS-55 blades the same story.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

There were two other models from that ATS-55 era that I almost forgot that both models had ATS-55 blade steel when they first came out. I'm speaking of the C-53 Peter Herbst and the C-16 Wayne Goddard models. I had owned both of those models but I didn't own either one of them in ATS-55. I bet those two models are getting quite collectible in ATS-55 that is if you can even find either one of them anymore.

When I owned those two models they both had VG-10 when I got them. And let's don't forget the full SE Police model in ATS-55. Because ATS-55 is still one of my favorite blade steels for full SE models.

Like I said earlier the ATS-55 era was one of the shortest time slots in Spyderco history but it was also one of their most important transition periods for several reasons.
wallyg

Post by wallyg »

My favorite cheese knife.
wallyg

Post by wallyg »

My favorite cheese knife.
Christmas gift from my dad, 1999 I believe.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Imagehey Joe ! Mr. Merlin strikes again ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:03 pm
Imagehey Joe ! Mr. Merlin strikes again ! MG2
Mr. Merlin was most definitely a great ATS-55 era model. I would love to see them bring back Mr. Merlin in all the newer/better blade steels. How about Mr. Merlin with "MagnaCut" blade steel in PE & SE both?

Basically the TASMAN is the Merlin model with corrosion proof blade steel.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I would not be opposed to that idea at all Joe !
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:51 pm
Even as much as I like the HARPY and SPYDERHAWK models which are also great Spyderco Hawkbill blades I've got to say that there was something nice about that MERLIN model.

The Merlin model during it's time in the spotlight always seemed so handy and versatile for immediate use. The idea of a "MagnaCut" MERLIN is really growing on me the more I think about it. >> and trust me my friend I'll never forget "Mr. Merlin". I"m really glad that you and him came back to Spyderville :cheap-sunglasses
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:33 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:51 pm
Even as much as I like the HARPY and SPYDERHAWK models which are also great Spyderco Hawkbill blades I've got to say that there was something nice about that MERLIN model.

The Merlin model during it's time in the spotlight always seemed so handy and versatile for immediate use. The idea of a "MagnaCut" MERLIN is really growing on me the more I think about it. >> and trust me my friend I'll never forget "Mr. Merlin". I"m really glad that you and him came back to Spyderville :cheap-sunglasses
Thank you Joe, I try to leave a positive mark here and help others whenever I can , there are a lot of great people here . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
CXXX

Post by CXXX »

I have the following in the collection, the holy grails are my set of C46 Bob Lum Tanto's. All great knives from that era.

STANDARD #C05GP PLAIN EDGE G-10 ATS-55
POLICE #C07P PLAIN EDGE STAINLESS ATS-55
POLICE #C07S SPYDEREDGE STAINLESS ATS-55
POLICE #C07SA SPYDEREDGE ALUMINUM ATS-55
POLICE #C07G PLAIN EDGE G-10 FG ATS-55
POLICE #C07GS SPYDEREDGE G-10 FG ATS-55
RESCUE #C14SOR SPYDEREDGE FRN ORANGE ATS-55
DYAD JR. #C39P&S PLAIN & SERRATED MICARTA ATS-55
DYAD JR. LIGHTWEIGHT #C39P&SBK PLAIN & SERRATED FRN ATS-55
DYAD #C44P&S PLAIN & SERRATED MICARTA ATS-55
RESCUE JR #C45SBK SPYDEREDGE FRN ATS-55
BOB LUM TANTO #C46P PLAIN EDGE TITANIUM ATS-55
BOB LUM TANTO #C46PS COMBOEDGE TITANIUM ATS-55
BOB LUM TANTO #C46GP PLAIN EDGE G-10 ATS-55
BOB LUM TANTO #C46GPS COMBOEDGE G-10 ATS-55
BOB LUM TANTO BB #C46GPBK PLAIN EDGE G-10 ATS-55
BOB LUM TANTO BB #C46GPSBK COMBOEDGE G-10 ATS-55
ROOKIE #C51S SPYDEREDGE STAINLESS ATS-55
ROOKIE #C51GS SPYDEREDGE G-10 ATS-55
RLR

Post by RLR »

The last two I still have. Dyad Jr and Rookie.
7F6A3D9B-970E-4EFC-A7B7-142C506CB523.jpeg
DerRock

Post by DerRock »

I only have two

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

DerRock wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:25 pm
I only have two
That colored Dyad Jr. is about as rare a palm tree in Antarctica. I had that one and Burgundy version as well at one time.

The ATS-55 era has certainly proven to be far more significant than most people think. There were a lot of super-classics to emerge from that time slot. If you don't believe me then go try to get some of the models these last 4 guys have listed>>It won't be cheap I can tell that for sure.
RLR

Post by RLR »

And my Dyad Jr is super special. 1 of 1 with half-arsed filling of screw holes. Used to be almost undetectable, but over time, you can see the plugs. Hated the clip on that knife. Still carry it often.
JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:20 pm
DerRock wrote:
I only have two
That colored Dyad Jr. is about as rare a palm tree in Antarctica. I had that one and Burgundy version as well at one time.

The ATS-55 era has certainly proven to be far more significant than most people think. There were a lot of super-classics to emerge from that time slot. If you don't believe me then go try to get some of the models these last 4 guys have listed>>It won't be cheap I can tell that for sure.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

RLR wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:31 pm
And my Dyad Jr is super special. 1 of 1 with half-arsed filling of screw holes. Used to be almost undetectable, but over time, you can see the plugs. Hated the clip on that knife. Still carry it often.
JD Spydo wrote:
DerRock wrote:
I only have two

Are you talking about the Micarta version of the Dyad Jr.? That's been my biggest regret of all the knives I've ever traded. The Micarta Dyad Jr. is getting close to impossible to find in the past 5 years or so.

But the colored FRN versions aren't easy to find either.
RLR

Post by RLR »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:17 pm
RLR wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:31 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
DerRock wrote:
I only have two

Are you talking about the Micarta version of the Dyad Jr.? That's been my biggest regret of all the knives I've ever traded. The Micarta Dyad Jr. is getting close to impossible to find in the past 5 years or so.

But the colored FRN versions aren't easy to find either.
Yeah my micarta one is fitted with plugs to fill the screw holes. You can see it in picture. I removed clip day one and hated the look of the holes. Good luck finding one! I had a Micro Dyad in bone that I lost or something - don’t have it anymore.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I love old school Spyderco!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearrowland wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:54 pm
I love old school Spyderco!
You Bet!! and many of the ultra-classics in the ATS-55 era are among the very best ever IMO. The ATS-34 era kind of set the stage for a major breakout into what has evolved to this present day>> But the ATS-55 era had a huge selection of breakout models.

As good as the Stainless handled RESCUE model was built I'm surprised we don't hear more about that one. There were several great models that were first made in ATS-55 and were continued when VG-10 became more available.