CPM MagnaCut | Edge Performance

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Re: CPM MagnaCut | Edge Performance

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Eli Chaps wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:06 am
Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:42 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:20 pm
THIS is the kind of testing, and numbers that I appreciate seeing. As said many times already, but what does one more time hurt?? Thank you Shawn!!
Yeah the results are pretty exciting I've been very curious about how the edges dull and wear from being freshly sharpened and very sharp to the working edge sharpness.

Since really what I like are knives that can hold the sharpness well.

I'm also curious to see how other steels stack with what's available off the shelf from production.

I have been doing a similar test for QC purposes but I don't really share those results because they're just for me to make sure my custom knives are doing what I want or if changes need to be made.

I can't say that the data collection is very fun.
Takes a lot of time and it's rather tedious and takes a lot of attention to detail.

So I'm happy to hear you enjoy it as well helps me stay motivated.
Every experiment is only as good as the inputs and the data it generates.

The hands-on part is the fun part, the numbers not so much but they are oh so important. Stick with it buddy!
I can attest that it is definitely a tedious task. I used to do my own reviews and week long use feedback in a thread whenever I'd acquire a new steel. Not nearly as detailed as what Shawn provides us with, and that was pretty time consuming in its own right. But like him, I also enjoyed seeing others enjoy my feedback! Shawn takes it to a whole different level. GREAT STUFF!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:17 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:23 am
This is good stuff. Thanks. I am waiting for more.
Thanks Doc

I added how well the 62.0rc and 62.9rc stropped back from dull.
Theory is all fine and dandy, but practical testing shows what's what.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Crox

Post by Crox »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:18 am
There is still fatigued metal at the edge, to get the truly sharp edge back I would have to reestablish the apex again on the stone and then stop if I wanted to achieve full sharpness. When I look at a knife I always look at the blade as a reservoir of steel for new edges.
Hi Shawn,

Out of curiosity - were the test samples stropped after the 400 grit? Maybe I missed it in the first post but thinking no strop.

Do you believe (or have tested) if going 400 grit without the stop on rope is better/worse?
Vaugith

Post by Vaugith »

That's a good read and an impressive level of detail there. I can appriciate that it's very tedious work. Thanks for your effort! It would be awesome to be able to generate a sort of data sheet like this for each mule and to be able to compare, but that's way too much work for any one person.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:32 am
Evil D wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:44 am
Regarding the factory edge on these mules being sub par, I would be all for them coming without a bevel ground into them at all, especially if skipping that step also manages to shave a little off the price. This would force us users to put our own bevel onto each mule and it would completely eliminate the factory edge performance issues.
That's a pretty interesting idea right there. Would also stave off some that don't want to, or don't know how to put on their own edges, in turn POSSIBLY making it easier to acquire Mules at the drop.
you'd certainly have to really want it.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Thanks BBB
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

I figured my fellow edge geeks would appreciate some magnification.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

I've got to say that edge makes me really happy, it just bites instantly.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Thanks for the videos and pictures at magnification. This thread finally inspired me to get a loupe. Hopefully my edges hold up under close scrutiny!
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
NCJohn62

Post by NCJohn62 »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:07 am
NCJohn62 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:54 am
You da man Shawn! A lot of what I do now with knives and my purchases are result of what I've learned from you and other edge retention fanatics.
Thanks Man, I appreciate that.

I've been getting into whiskey and I really appreciate the experts helping me choose the right whiskey it's really put in perspective how nice it is to have people help out.
And that's the great thing about enthusiast communities, so much information that people willingly share. And as a brand ambassador for Maker's Mark I totally can appreciate your journey of brown happy human juice discovery!
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:44 pm

I had YT up on the TV when you posted the video. Of course I clicked on it and caught myself saying out loud, "Look at his freakin' scratch pattern. D*** that Shawn!" Meant that in admiration of course.

The wife looks up from her book and says, "Huh? What scratches?" Then she glanced at the TV and muttered, "Oh knife stuff."

:squinting-tongue
sal

Post by sal »

Nicely done Shawn,

Hey Wanderer,

When I was training our salesmen to pitch the Sharpmaker, "back-in-the-day" (80's), I told the that I was number two teacher. Loupe was number one teacher.

sal
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Bloody Legend, Shawn! :cheap-sunglasses
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

BBB and the ghost chasers, would you say that the V edge is better at push cuts than a convex?
It is my understanding that the convex edge is better for edge stability which I prefer but for EDC tasks, perhaps a V edge would be better. Next question is does stroping work better on a convex edge than a V edge? I have had good results with stroping on convex edges over V edges. This could be my methods and materials that need adjustment for a V edge. Perhaps strop a V edge on wood rather than leather? Muchos garcias for your replies. :usflag :pinata
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Wandering_About wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:05 pm
Thanks for the videos and pictures at magnification. This thread finally inspired me to get a loupe. Hopefully my edges hold up under close scrutiny!
Yeah there's a lot of crazy stuff going on at the edge that you can witness under magnification
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

NCJohn62 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:10 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:07 am
NCJohn62 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:54 am
You da man Shawn! A lot of what I do now with knives and my purchases are result of what I've learned from you and other edge retention fanatics.
Thanks Man, I appreciate that.

I've been getting into whiskey and I really appreciate the experts helping me choose the right whiskey it's really put in perspective how nice it is to have people help out.
And that's the great thing about enthusiast communities, so much information that people willingly share. And as a brand ambassador for Maker's Mark I totally can appreciate your journey of brown happy human juice discovery!
Oh nice, I still wanna try some Cask Strength Makers Mark.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Eli Chaps wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:52 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:44 pm

I had YT up on the TV when you posted the video. Of course I clicked on it and caught myself saying out loud, "Look at his freakin' scratch pattern. D*** that Shawn!" Meant that in admiration of course.

The wife looks up from her book and says, "Huh? What scratches?" Then she glanced at the TV and muttered, "Oh knife stuff."

:squinting-tongue
Lmao thanks man, haha you just might be an edge freek. :winking-tongue

It seems like the the 30° scratch orientation facing backwards helps with drawing the edge in that direction in the rope, more "grip" and "bite"
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

sal wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:45 am
Nicely done Shawn,

Hey Wanderer,

When I was training our salesmen to pitch the Sharpmaker, "back-in-the-day" (80's), I told the that I was number two teacher. Loupe was number one teacher.

sal
Well said
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Fireman wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:32 am
BBB and the ghost chasers, would you say that the V edge is better at push cuts than a convex?
It is my understanding that the convex edge is better for edge stability which I prefer but for EDC tasks, perhaps a V edge would be better. Next question is does stroping work better on a convex edge than a V edge? I have had good results with stroping on convex edges over V edges. This could be my methods and materials that need adjustment for a V edge. Perhaps strop a V edge on wood rather than leather? Muchos garcias for your replies. :usflag :pinata
Thicker equals more durability and reduced edge retention when used for pure cutting, thinner equals more cutting ability and more edge retention for pure cutting.

A thinner edge will strop back better because the apex radius doesn't blunt as thick as a thicker apex radius does with cutting wear. A less thick apex radius will respond better to stropping because stropping is an enhancer not a creator.

While there are endless arguments about differences between convexed and V edge yada yada and we could discuss every nuance and never agree. All that really matters is whatever you create, what makes the biggest difference is what's thicker and what's thinner at the apex.

So if you hear hoofbeats think horses not zebras cause if something is more durable than something else, it's probably just thicker geometry.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Thank you BBB
Since MC is going to be mostly an EDC steel, the next question is edge stability to figure out how thin BTE we can go. I have two and will end up with three fixed blades and have to figure out how thin I will go. I’ll probably have three different edge profiles and use the one for the tasks that may be required of it. I am glad we have such a great resource in this community here of knife aficionados and pros.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.