Stretch XL discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Stretch XL discussion

Post by vivi »

Just look at that size to weight ratio! I thought the FFG Pacific Salt was impressive, but this looks like it could be the new king of large, lightweight folders.

Better edge to handle ratio than the Stretch 2, much better size to weight ratio, and a size that will personally work better for me. Saying I'm excited is an understatement!

Also! Available in PE, CE and SE right out of the gate!

I'm gonna go a head and say it. We're gonna need to see a salt version of this!
:unicorn
zhyla

Re: Stretch XL discussion

Post by zhyla »

In SE that is going to be a lot of teeth.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

And no liners! I hope to see more linerless models coming out in the future.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

MAN !!! :flushed :smlling-eyes

I thought this one would be a bit too large for me, but it is actually almost not longer closed than my absolute favorite Endura (EDIT: They are actually of the exact same length)... has the exact same cutting edge length AND a choil... and about Manix 2 LW weight (this I almost can't believe, even though it's linerless)

And: Ffg SE!!

Very excited about this model!!!
Last edited by Wartstein on Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

... I was / am very much looking forward to the FRN Chief, but I am pretty sure the Stretch XL is even better (for me).
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

2.7 ounces!! Might have to get one just to try it. Not usually a fan of big blades but that kind of weight for the size is pretty amazing. A G10 Para 3 is about 3 ounces! Now throw a K390 blade in this thing and I'd be all over it.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

zhyla wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:41 pm
In SE that is going to be a lot of teeth.
Edge length exactly like Endura/ Pac Salt...
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:54 pm
... I was / am very much looking forward to the FRN Chief, but I am pretty sure the Stretch XL is even better (for me).
Interesting thought. I also am waiting for the Native Chief... but I probably won't enjoy the blocky Native style handles as much as I do the Stretch. Hmmmm.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:54 pm
I was thinking the same thing. I have been looking forward to the Native Chief LW thinking the Stretch XL would be too large. It does not appear that will be the case at all. This is a great size!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Wandering_About wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:59 pm
2.7 ounces!! Might have to get one just to try it. Not usually a fan of big blades but that kind of weight for the size is pretty amazing. A G10 Para 3 is about 3 ounces! Now throw a K390 blade in this thing and I'd be all over it.
Definitely worth trying out! If you have ever handled the LC200N Pac Salt. It is crazy how light it feels.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I really like VG-10, but you can already see the potential down the road for different steels. If you want something different than H-1 or LC200N but also want the the lightweight feature of the Salt Line... I used to think with FRN you really needed liners. But the approval on this forum for the Pac Salt, Manix, and the Native 5 lock up without liners has changed my mind. This is exciting to see a linerless model from Seki that is not limited to just the Salt lineup.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

I am in for a full SE model! I predict a dealer exclusive happening pretty quick with plain edge. I do like VG10 as it will keep the price in check, I am thinking $115 to $120 price range like a plain police 4.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:03 pm
Wandering_About wrote:
Definitely worth trying out! If you have ever handled the LC200N Pac Salt. It is crazy how light it feels.
Never tried a Pac Salt. The Endura handle just isn't my thing. The Stretch is a favorite though, so the XL version has my attention.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Snacktime wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:28 pm
I am thinking $115 to $120 price range like a plain police 4.
No need to speculate on pricing, $112.35 at BladeHQ. I have to say, that's less than I was expecting. And certainly less than I'm expecting the Chief FRN to go for.

And in case anyone wondered what the SE looks like:

MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

This is the first release to get me excited in a looong time. I’m so in for this one :)
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Last edited by Evil D on Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Nevermind that.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Wandering_About wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:30 pm
JSumm wrote:
Wandering_About wrote:
Never tried a Pac Salt. The Endura handle just isn't my thing. The Stretch is a favorite though, so the XL version has my attention.
Well not the handle just the balance in hand for the weight. I was concerned about the lack of liners some time ago, but had the chance to handle one and I like it! I am more and more interested in linerless FRN handles.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

zhyla wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:31 pm
Snacktime wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:28 pm
I am thinking $115 to $120 price range like a plain police 4.
No need to speculate on pricing, $112.35 at BladeHQ. I have to say, that's less than I was expecting. And certainly less than I'm expecting the Chief FRN to go for.

And in case anyone wondered what the SE looks like:

Man, even the serrations look perfect!!!
Rather shallow as far as i can see, and exactly the right amount of PE towards the tip..

Can´t find anything that is NOT perfect on this model... perhaps that I´d slightly prefer the original Stretch blade shape. but that´s about it and the straight spine not a deal breaker at all..

/ Wonder what this will cost in Europe. US prices are less than I would have expected - another advantage of linerless FRN, I guess...
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wandering_About wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:30 pm
JSumm wrote:
Wandering_About wrote:
I've always preferred the Stretch to Endura when it comes to handle shapes, but there's no rust proof Stretch. If they make this XL version a Salt someday I might not even keep a Pacific in my rotation any more.
:unicorn