(EDIT: OLD THREAD !)Petition/poll for keeping the liner lock Military in the lineup, if there´ll be a comp.lock Millie 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Do you want the linerlock Millie to remain in regular production if there´ll be a comp.lock Millie?

- Yes, I want the current linerlock Millie unchanged to remain in regular production additionally to a comp.lock version
50%
- Yes, I want the current linerlock Millie to remain in regular production, but with some changes (specify) additionally to a comp.lock version
3%
- I ONLY want the current linerlock Millie unchanged in regular production
21%
- I ONLY want the current linerlock Millie in regular production, but with some changes (specify)
5%
- No, I ONLY want a comp.lock Millie in regular production
21%

Total votes: 86

Bloke

Re: Humble petition and poll for keeping the liner lock Military in the lineup, if there´ll be a comp.lock Millie 2

Post by Bloke »

sal wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:43 pm
There are advantages to the Military as designed.
Ain’t that the truth! Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
spoonrobot

Re: Humble petition and poll for keeping the liner lock Military in the lineup, if there´ll be a comp.lock Millie 2

Post by spoonrobot »

I prefer the liner lock to the compression lock. It's easier and safer to unlock as a lefty. Even though I have the lefty Military I actually like the regular Military better than the lefty version because tripping the lock left handed is faster and requires less dexterity.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:15 pm
The biggest advantage of a comp lock Millie would be a possible improvement in ergonomics. The large cutout for accessing the lock and opening hole could probably be shrunken down a bit, giving it a more filling grip.

This shows again, why it would / will be great if there is both a linerlock- and comp.lock Millie (again, a bit like in the Sage or Lil Native) in the lineup!
For me, though I agree that a comp.lock would make the handle a tad more handfilling, it is just the other way round:
I actually do find the cutout for the linerlock comfortable in hand, a bit like chamfering (not kidding!)
Secondly, I found that a comp.lock cutout makes a knife uncomfortable and "hotspotty" in prolongued use, due to its particular location on the handle (might be the case just with my particular handsize / hand"geometry")
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:
There are advantages to the Military as designed. We might CQI the model, but it will remain in the line with the current Linerlock even if there is a Military 2 with a Compression Lock.

sal
I wonder with gloves whether a button on the side to activate the lock would be a good idea? It seems so, but then the other consideration would be whether it would be activated during use accidentally or not. Or, would a larger tab and larger cutout be the way to go?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

The liner lock is my fav lock so ... guess what ?! It’s easy and intuitive to manipulate and you don’t need to change your grip in the process. Spyderco makes the best liner locks in the industry and strong enough for the average, mundane user. Just bring back the serrated Millie, it’s the only feature we really miss... serrations I mean. The mighty Military is perfect as it is. Enough said.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
brj

Post by brj »

elena86 wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:31 am
Just bring back the serrated Millie, it’s the only feature we really miss... serrations I mean.
^this
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Hi Wartstein,

You perfectly know what I think of the comp lock but every rule has its exception. Although if a Millie is made with comp lock I will buy one for the collection, if I ever had to use the Millie for something serious I would not hesitate. The Millie's side lock is, IMHO, absolutely perfect.
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

sal wrote:
There are advantages to the Military as designed. We might CQI the model, but it will remain in the line with the current Linerlock even if there is a Military 2 with a Compression Lock.

sal
Thank you Sal!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

James Y wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:06 pm
I like the Military’s liner lock. It’s the only liner lock design I will carry and use anymore.

That said, I would also enjoy seeing a Military 2 or PM4. It’ll probably be noticeably heavier than the standard Military.

Now that we know the standard liner lock version will be kept in the lineup, whether the Military is better off with a liner lock or a compression lock is strictly personal preference.

Jim

Yes, and I am glad that it will be that way! :)

Both locktypes certainly have their pros and cons, depending on what parameters one might emphasize, and how and in what conditions a knife gets used.

For me the Millie linerlock is easier to use, more comfortable in operation and in hand, and overall a lot safer than any comp. lock I´ve used, especially in outdoor-scenarios (which should be one of the main Millie arenas)
For others though it will be just the other way round, and there is no right or wrong, just, as you said, personal preference.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
James Y

Post by James Y »

Warstein:

Even when there is a Military 2, I strongly suspect I’ll still prefer the liner lock Military. On a PM2-sized knife, or any other design, I’ll favor the compression lock over a liner lock. I don’t know how a compression lock would be on a larger design/heavier blade like the Military, but I’m sure Spyderco will get it right. It just seems to me the comp lock Military *might* have a greater possibility of working open in the pocket.

Jim
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

nerdlock wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:28 pm
*Meanwhile, lefties just stare and wonder what these people are talking about... *

Of course I know, I know, there's *the* lefty version. But it doesn't come in the tough and fancy steels you righties have enjoyed so much lol! :D
You're in luck, I would expect the inevitable industry conversion to MagnaCut would make most of the righty variants obsolete.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MmmmmmmMAGNATARY!

Or Magnitary? It was inevitable.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kobold

Post by kobold »

MillieCut!
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Had this poll asked about a PM2 XL, I would have felt a need to vote, and voted “No”.

But it didn’t, and I didn’t.

Instead, Sal weighed-in and said what I would have voted.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Nuh Nups

Post by Nuh Nups »

sal wrote:

sal
Thank you, Sal!
The current Military works really well for me. It is truly a fantastic design and is my primary EDC.
M.N.O.S.D. member 0026
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Haven't we had quite a few of these threads over the past year? Careful Warstein, I'll start making duplicates of my Micarta/RIL K390 Millie thread. :p

Sal has promised several times now that the currently Millie will stay in the lineup. I think you're safe man. :-)
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:30 pm
Haven't we had quite a few of these threads over the past year? Careful Warstein, I'll start making duplicates of my Micarta/RIL K390 Millie thread. :p

Sal has promised several times now that the currently Millie will stay in the lineup. I think you're safe man. :-)

Please look when I started this thread: A year ago! ;)

Don´t now why it got resurrected (and that funnily exactly one year later)

And it actually is the absolute only one I started about the Millie...and the one where Sal said the "Millie 1" would remain in the lineup
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

If I liked the Military, I’d buy one, and I’d be content.

If I liked the Military a whole lot, I’d buy three, and I’d be content.

But seeing a picture of a knife in a catalog doesn’t do anything for me. What’s the point of begging a manufacturer to keep making a product so we can look at pictures of it?
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

I basically want a “Millie 2” that’s essentially just a larger PM2 (comp lock and 4 pos carry). Since we are granting wishes I want them in M4, Maxamet and/or CruWear. Yes, I will buy all 3. Heck toss it in any awesome steel and watch me buy it.
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I voted #1, for what it’s worth. (I know Sal already weighed in and said the Liner Lock version won’t be going away, but I felt I’d chime in for the heck of it). Love the Millie as it is, but I’m also looking forward to seeing new versions too. 👍
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal