Military is back in stock!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Matus

Re: Military is back in stock!

Post by Matus »

For what it’s worth, the real inflation in US in 2021 was somewhere around 15%. Just saying …
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The annual inflation rate was 6.8% from Nov. 2020 to Nov. 2021 (largest 12-month increase since the period ending June 1982). The December to December numbers should be released next week.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/cpi.nr0.htm
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Matus

Post by Matus »

Yeah, those are the official numbers. The way to calculate them changed back in the ‘80, when the money printing was kicked to higher gear. It is not exactly a secret.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Just hope that the rate of price gains moderates or Spyderco will be out of business. You can't sustain 10% average annual price increases. Yes I know part of that was due to MAP adjustment. Can you imagine in 7 years a standard Millie selling for $400+?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Another datapoint: CRK Knives start at $425 and sell out every release. Someone has money and is spending it. I think we can see the future of Spyderco. They’ll have to move up market now or later.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

ABX2011 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:38 pm
Just hope that the rate of price gains moderates or Spyderco will be out of business. You can't sustain 10% average annual price increases. Yes I know part of that was due to MAP adjustment. Can you imagine in 7 years a standard Millie selling for $400+?
Just about everything went up 10% this year. Get used to inflation bud.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

James Y wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:47 pm
Matt David wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:32 pm
Holy smokes! 231.00 for the DLC? I bought mine in late 2018 for $175 shipped. It's one of my favorite knives, but that's asking a lot.

Wow. Okay, so I won't be getting a DLC Military. That is TOO MUCH of a price jump in such a short time. It won't be long at all before even a basic Military is $300+.

Jim
The price increase is truly a downer but, please realize this is the first time the Military comes with everything coated, just like the Manix XL DLC; screws, lock bar etc… The previous iterations only had a DLC blade. This greatly increases corrosion resistance. You should check out vivi’s Mannix XL DLC review post on the forum. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87786&p=1458908&hil ... c#p1458908 And I’ll add this is an M4 knife not a S30V knife.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

They have a fancy name for politicians endlessly printing money now:

https://www.investopedia.com/modern-mon ... mt-4588060

What could go wrong ? :unicorn :skull-crossbones
SG89

Post by SG89 »

So what do we think the Military 2 with comp lock is going to be priced at? $250?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

My guess for the satin will be ~$235, assuming it happens in the near future.
So it goes.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The KnifeWorks exclusive Military S90V CF/TI was $279.95 when it came out in May 2017. However, since it wasn’t selling that fast it was discounted to as low as $199.95.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

SG89 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:48 pm
So what do we think the Military 2 with comp lock is going to be priced at? $250?
After I add some Micarta scales it’ll be over $300 for sure.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Well I still like Ti CF frame lock Millies and I hope there's more to come.
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

JRinFL wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:55 pm
Another datapoint: CRK Knives start at $425 and sell out every release. Someone has money and is spending it. I think we can see the future of Spyderco. They’ll have to move up market now or later.

I don't think the future of Spyderco is at 400+

Speaking of Sebenza, first that has a different target customer that already knows a Sebenza started at 400+
At there aren't that many customers buying 400+ Sebenzas compared to Spydercos. You don't buy a Sebenza to cut cardboard at the job all day long even if Sebenza means "work", who buys a Sebenza buys it for its refinement.

I haven't noticed this price dynamic for other knife companies so think I've asked this before what is hapening to Spyderco that is not happening to others.

As far as I remember a plain Jane Large 21 was around 400$+ up to 450$, I bought mine few years ago but that was in Euros.

This is an article from 2015 speaking about a 450$ Sebenza 25.
https://gizmodo.com/chris-reeve-sebenza ... 1740848454

Six-seven years later a Large Sebenza 31 is now 450$ on their website.
https://chrisreeve.com/collections/sebe ... a-31-plain

How is that even possible?
If that was a Spyderco it would have been 600$ at least.

Did CRK decrease their quality and materials that much?
Materials are still titanium and CPM and I haven't noticed countless topics on how low the quality of Sebenza has become.

Is CRK making their Sebenzas in China? Unless Idaho is now part of mainland China I don't think so.

So this story with materials and scarcity and supply chain issues and inflation and I don't know what other factors doesn't really hold.

It's MAP increase after MAP increase to feed the dealers network and then shipping materials around the world and back to keep old friends in business adding transport plus probably duties and then MSRP increases to cover materials and still make some profit as a business.

There were tarifs on steel in Trump glorious era but now they seem to be suspended, still I haven't noticed any price going down on say LC200N models, it's always up.

"Furthermore, following the United States' announcement that they will remove Section 232 tariffs on EU steel and aluminium exports up to past trade volumes, the European Union will take the steps to suspend its rebalancing measures against the United States. The two sides have also agreed to pause their respective WTO disputes on this issue."

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/pressco ... IP_21_5721

The solution was to decrease the quality of materials, japanese G10 are gone and replaced with lightcheapweights, titanium Militaries, fluted or not, are gone.

In the end lightcheapweight Military is probably in sight.
And is the Military 2 compression lock cheaper to make than the Military liner lock, due to larger volumes of endless exclusives PM2s and PM3s?

Been fortunate to be able to buy these when Spyderco was able to make them.

Don't see these titanium and CF framelocks coming back, the KW didn't sell at $279.95 they would not sell at 400$.

kobold

Post by kobold »

I agree with Gsg9. It is the same economic climate for all makers.

The all black Millie is 263 EUR which is 300 USD where I live. We in the EU are living in the future, experiencing future prices already :-)
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
vivi

Post by vivi »

I was carrying my Military at work and someone asked me about it. Let them check it out and they said they really liked it. They asked how much it was? I explain I got mine at the factory seconds sale and a DLC Military would normally be around $230.

They asked if I thought it was worth it?

I hesitated, then replied, let me bring in my Pacific Salt tomorrow and show you that, they're $100.

I've been interested in picking up a DLC CQI Military since my 2nds was pre-CQI, but $200 has been my limit on knives for a while now.......
:unicorn
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The economic climate is not the same for luxury makers as it is for economy makers. Luxury makers make excellent profits with fewer clients. Economy makers make reasonable profits off of many clients.

Europeans get hit with unreasonable taxes on imports which is bad, but not relevant to the discussion.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
tyd450

Post by tyd450 »

Really unfortunate about the price increases, I had been waiting to pick one up but just not worth the price now in my opinion for a base s30v model.

I really regretted selling my CF S90v framelock exclusive, luckily i was able to score another one this morning on the secondary market so that should hold me over for the immediate future. Unfortunately I had to pay more this time around than i did when I bought my original directly from knifeworks but that's how it goes I guess.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I still am stunned at the price for a Sebenza. I’d never pay that coin for that steel. I won’t pursue any knife in sXXv/n regardless of price. The Millie needs a really great steel to command these prices. I hope it’s gets MagnaCut. I missed rex45 and M4. Love the only one I have which I got for $180 used and dyed off epay. It’s Cruwear.

shunsui wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:38 pm
They have a fancy name for politicians endlessly printing money now
I have a name for them too, but it’s not printable here. I’ll just have to settle for calling them CO2 factories or oxygen thieves.
James Y

Post by James Y »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:51 pm
James Y wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:47 pm
Matt David wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:32 pm
Holy smokes! 231.00 for the DLC? I bought mine in late 2018 for $175 shipped. It's one of my favorite knives, but that's asking a lot.

Wow. Okay, so I won't be getting a DLC Military. That is TOO MUCH of a price jump in such a short time. It won't be long at all before even a basic Military is $300+.

Jim
The price increase is truly a downer but, please realize this is the first time the Military comes with everything coated, just like the Manix XL DLC; screws, lock bar etc… The previous iterations only had a DLC blade. This greatly increases corrosion resistance. You should check out vivi’s Mannix XL DLC review post on the forum. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87786&p=1458908&hil ... c#p1458908 And I’ll add this is an M4 knife not a S30V knife.

True. The fact that this new version is all blacked-out made it something I’ve really been looking at. The new price, though, is such a kick in the keester.

😩

Jim