StNicksKnives Native Chief in Black CPM 4V and Red G10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Nuh Nups

Re: StNicksKnives Native Chief in Black CPM 4V and Red G10

Post by Nuh Nups »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:37 am
So close, but not quite! Come on St Nick's, we need a Military!!
I like the Chief and carry one quite often. I will definitely try to get one of these. I’m with you though, a Military would be awesome!! I have been hoping for a St. Nick’s Military for a long time. It would check so many boxes for me. My favorite model, 4V steel, and a nice color combo.
M.N.O.S.D. member 0026
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

No tax and free shipping too; I’ll be trying for one of these tomorrow, no Spydies in 4V yet!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Hopsbreath wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:20 am
No tax and free shipping too; I’ll be trying for one of these tomorrow, no Spydies in 4V yet!
Good luck but these don’t drop until Friday.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Slightly off topic but how many copies can a master flipper acquire? I've seen exclusives on ebay that were limited purchases of one or two and the flipper had ten available. How do they do this?
So many knives - so little funds!!!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

cycleguy wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:05 am
Slightly off topic but how many copies can a master flipper acquire? I've seen exclusives on ebay that were limited purchases of one or two and the flipper had ten available. How do they do this?

I mean if you have a wide net of friends, neighbors, relatives, etc that you can convince to get one for you theoretically you can end up with a bunch. A lot of people use a "proxy" person to get a knife for them if they are not available at the drop time or if they just suck at computers or whatever. Just find yourself 10 proxies instead of one!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:22 am
Hopsbreath wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:20 am
Good luck but these don’t drop until Friday.
Oops, thanks! Their IG post said “…our 9th…” and my brain translated that as January 9th. Friday works too, hopefully there’s not too many more than 525 people trying to get one of these.
timlara

Post by timlara »

cycleguy wrote:
I'm sure that the various shopping bot software out there has ways of putting in multiple credit cards and addresses to place multiple orders automatically. Or they are teams of people who pool all their bots together and share the profits selling under the same account on ebay. Such an annoying practice, but then again having an honest job really sucks a lot of the time, so I guess I get it. I suppose I should be happy that the scalpers save me a lot of money.
Tim
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Way too much is made of flippers especially these days. If you look at resale on some recent PM2 releases you'll see. What I think is going on is that there's a ceiling. When you get around up $200, there's just not a lot of room to jack the price. That's what I've observed anyway with the SMKW fat carbon run and others.
Personally I'd much rather have a the income from a regular job than try to resell knives as a non-dealer.
As far as this Chief release, yes I think you could make a quick buck. But not a lot of money.
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Ok, decided I'm going to go ahead and pick up one of these, don't have a Chief yet, I like the red/DLC, and St. Nick's is local. I dropped by today and talked with the guys at the shop, apparently they had 4-5 exclusives planned for last year, and all of them got pushed out due to supply chain issues and huge demand for Spyderco's main line products. It didn't sound good in terms of them getting more exclusives out anytime soon, so this might be the best chance to pick one up for a while.

Has anyone seen HRC testing on the 4V from the last St. Nick's exclusives (or any other Spyderco 4V I guess)? I've heard that it was run pretty hard, but haven't seen any testing.
Zive

Post by Zive »

Gtscotty wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:11 pm
Has anyone seen HRC testing on the 4V from the last St. Nick's exclusives (or any other Spyderco 4V I guess)? I've heard that it was run pretty hard, but haven't seen any testing.
Take the measurement with a grain of salt given the instrument and unknown calibration but here’s a relevant video:

https://youtu.be/lpbI8ggRjyw

Fast forward to ~7:00 for the measurement. Looks like it’s around 63, at least for the knife that was tested
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

There was a poster not long ago on these forums that said he sold his blood to buy knives and I looked into it. Sure enough there are Blood Plasma Centers all over the USA that buy blood and they have drives where you can make $120 per donation and they set you up on a plan to make $1,200.

I've never donated blood, but before I'd flip knives, I think I'd try that. Maybe I'm missing something regarding flipping knives.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Have the 4V Manix2 and I've got 3 Native Chief's so I'm inclined to pass on this one, but you never know when it rolls around. If some are available after the initial crush, I might reconsider.

It's fun to have a couple of knives with DLC, but it really just decreases the performance of the knife if you're actually using it.
vivi

Post by vivi »

shunsui wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:46 pm
Have the 4V Manix2 and I've got 3 Native Chief's so I'm inclined to pass on this one, but you never know when it rolls around. If some are available after the initial crush, I might reconsider.

It's fun to have a couple of knives with DLC, but it really just decreases the performance of the knife if you're actually using it.
I've had the opposite experience. My DLC knives out perform the satin versions when it comes to corrosion resistance.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ramonade wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:53 am
Erf, would've loved to buy one, as much as a Native 5 exclusive... But I'm still waiting tosee how much money the 2 mules that are still incoming are gonna cost me in customs.

The EU law of obligatory custom of July has me a bit scared, my father just paid customs fee of almost half the price of something coming from Switzerland.

I'd like for a european dealer to get/request a Native 5 or Chief exclusive (I know we would have taxed prices, but it's better than taxed + customs prices) !

I am not even sure St. Nicks would ship to Europe these days.
And forwarding services from the US to us (.... here in Europe. pun intended ;) ) seem to be more and more refusing to ship pocket knives - DANGEROUS items, you know? :eye-roll :woozy

/ Has there actually ever been an European-dealer-exclusive?
I figure vendors like Lamnia or Knivesandtools should really be able to bear the initial costs for at least a smaller run like this one St Nicks is offering.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:32 pm
shunsui wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:46 pm

I've had the opposite experience. My DLC knives out perform the satin versions when it comes to corrosion resistance.

Perhaps he meant the CUTTING performance?
I have not much experience with coated blades myself and am pretty sure actually none with DLC. DOES it actually let the knife go a bit less smoothly through material or something like that? I really can´t imagine this being the case in an even noticeable degree in normal tasks.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vanka

Post by vanka »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:05 am
Ramonade wrote:
Erf, would've loved to buy one, as much as a Native 5 exclusive... But I'm still waiting tosee how much money the 2 mules that are still incoming are gonna cost me in customs.

The EU law of obligatory custom of July has me a bit scared, my father just paid customs fee of almost half the price of something coming from Switzerland.

I'd like for a european dealer to get/request a Native 5 or Chief exclusive (I know we would have taxed prices, but it's better than taxed + customs prices) !

And forwarding services from the US to us (.... here in Europe. pun intended ;) ) seem to be more and more refusing to ship pocket knives - DANGEROUS items, you know? :eye-roll :woozy

I figure vendors like Lamnia or Knivesandtools should really be able to bear the initial costs for at least a smaller run like this one St Nicks is offering.
As far as i know they offer international shipping. StNick's i mean. Go check it and maybe send them emai about your location? The other thing is they are against third party forwarding services and they will cancell your order. Shortly.... Just ask them in email or give them a call. It's better to let them know, they might work out something.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vanka wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:14 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:05 am
Ramonade wrote:
---

As far as i know they offer international shipping. StNick's i mean. Go check it and maybe send them emai about your location? The other thing is they are against third party forwarding services and they will cancell your order. Shortly.... Just ask them in email or give them a call. It's better to let them know, they might work out something.

Thanks for the info, appreciate it!

But WHAT? They are "against third party forwarding services"?!? This I don´t understand:

- for one I think it is none of their business, and I can´t see who gets hurt by such a service: After all it is US companies who offer those services, and so it is still good for the US economy to use such a service (but I could be missing something)

- and then: With the service I used to use I just have a postal address in the US, which is somehow "virtual" of course, resp. just for a post box - but a vendor normally would not even know if this is the case or if I am actually a regular US inhabitant

/ I´ll check if they send to Europe (some companies who usually do so have stopped (temporarily?) in these covid times), and then decide if I join the game... ;) ;)
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
vanka

Post by vanka »

They are against it because it allows for tax evasion. At least that's the impression i got from reading over the internet. Many companies are against it, others encourage to use third party forwarding services. Go figure.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

cycleguy wrote:

At this point people are making a business out of it. Probably the same DB's that call you about your extended car warranty. I also wouldn't doubt if some of this happens internally, money makes people do stupid things.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Does St Nick's do black blade exclusives only? or, is there a possibility we will we see a non-coated version as well? (CS and BHQ did both versions)
So many knives - so little funds!!!